JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad used to put a big pile of cottage cheese on plate, a huge dollop of Mircle Whip on top of that, and a dash of paprika. Vile does not begin to describe that abomination.

Steak and kidney pie. Normally it was ok. But one time my mom forgot or was too rushed to adequately prepare the beef kidney (which I think involved washing and brining and washing again.)

We ended up with steak and cow pee pie.

Never had beef kidneys since, although "Bambi" pie (no kidneys) has always been a favorite of my kids....

My grandpa on my mom's side was Basque. He used to tell stories about when he was a kid and at big family gatherings they would roast a sheep head and then pass it around for people to pluck off a bit as a treat. I guess the eyes were the prize bit that the elders lusted after... Most of the kids had to make due with brains or some other flesh flap

Later in his life, my dad developed a taste for limberger cheese. He would keep it sealed in Tupperware. We were all thankful for that.

Just reviewing this thread and having a good chuckle.
May you all have that special foodstuff of your desires for the Holidays.
To all a good night and Norwegian Turkey "Lutefisk" to you.

Liver, of course. My grandfather would make cookies and he would experiment with the ingredients. We had to check with grandma if there were edible or not. They looked like chocolate chips but they were carob chips:eek:

circa 1954 my 'great uncle/aunt' had their 50th wedding anniversary......in an old country grange building, long tables of exotic food items I'd never seen before.

There was an amazing section featuring various jello colored bowls, such as orange jello w/shredded carrots, cherry jello with cherries entombed, whipped jello in a variety of imaginative fruit salad inclusions. Yes, Miracle Whip & inventive architectural designs far beyond mere sharing of a favorite recipe, these were flat-out competition level displays intended for consumption by the various tribes of the clan assembling in ceremony & attempts at socializing without physical conflict.

To this day can not stand jello anything. I *think* it was the lime jello with baloney strips the pushed me over the edge.

There were buckets of Scandinavian delights, rumored to be some sea creature, all far beyond my gag suppression level.

I was raised by depression era parents. Dad was born in 1920, mom in 1925, so you can imagine what it was like for them.....They both grew up very poor.

In our house no food went to waste. We always had beef or pork roast on Sundays. Ham on occasion. All left overs were used so you could expect eating various version of leftovers. Fried mashed potatoes and gravy. Roast beef hash, hand ground with a grinder, probably from the depression, that clamped to the edge of the table. I loved that then and still love it. Mom and Grandma were afraid of under cooking anything, vegetables, chicken, pork, beef. Turnips, asparagus, PARSNIPS! Gawd, parsnips! Just the smell of parsnip gives me a gag reflex. Back then I guess I didn't like most vegetables.

"TV Dinners!!" Mom and Dad both worked so when TV dinners came out we had a freezer full. They were great then. I preferred the fried chicken and Mexican dinners. YUCK, now though. That aspic stuff....Grandma used to make that. Yuck then, would love to have some now but have never attempted to make it. Tried making gazpacho once, didn't turn out too well.

When Dads company moved to Texas and he didn't want to go he went to work for himself flipping houses. He did all the cooking after that. Hot dogs fried in ketchup? Fried gizzard, heart and kidney medley? Meatloaf using apple sauce and bran flakes? And I imagine other questionable things.

Grandma on Dads side lived in the Los Angeles area. She was full on Hungarian, with an attitude. Any of the food she made I remember being good. We only visited twice a year, when I was young, under 12 probably.

I guess there really isn't much food that I was fed that I didn't like, (except most over cooked veggies). When you're raised by parents that knew what it was like to go to bed hungry that you get a different mind set, maybe. Food I disliked as a child, I've grown to enjoy preparing and eating. It's pathetic now days seeing all the pre-prepared/highly processed foods loaded with various preservatives and man made ingredients, stuffing grocery store shelves. I'd say we need to start a thread and talk about "Nasty Food on Grocery Store Shelves and Fast Food Joints Today".

Lutefisk
probably in here a few times:D
My dad would pick up some Lutefisk maybe once a year. I always passed on it.

One of his favorites was salmon head soup. I never tried it either. He'd usually cook it on the boat when we had a greenhorn out on his 1st trip. The poor guy would be a little green around the gills and as he'd walk thru the galley dad would make a big show of popping an eye into his mouth and chewing it up. The guy would be heading for the rail and dad would chuckle and say "hmm, guess he doesn't like fish". He had a sick sense of humor. :D

headcheese, blood pudding, brussel sprouts, liver, gizzard, chitlins, liverwurst, buttermilk [straight], lutefisk, pickled herring. My wife has a cousin that used to eat cold gravy sandwiches and spoonfuls of margarine.

Later in his life, my dad developed a taste for limberger cheese. He would keep it sealed in Tupperware. We were all thankful for that.
Gramps liked that too. I never knew what it was until a coworker drove over to our remote office at lunch, smeared some on the ceiling diffuser (during winter) and split back to the main office. It stank us out bad...worst smell ever :eek:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top