JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some sick bubblegume in this thread! I was eating a piece of pie when I got to the picture of the open egg..... The piece is unfinished. I NEVER leave pie unfinished! Now I have that watery feeling in the back of my throat that is telling me I need the added lubrication so I can forcibly eject the pie and quesadilla that is currently (unhappily) residing in my stomach. I've eaten a live frog. I've eaten a live cicada, a live dragonfly, a dead dragonfly and various other things you aren't supposed to eat; but that egg pic is NASTY :eek:

You are right, the buttermilk sold now is crap.
My grandmother like to drink Velija(?) it was like Finnish Buttermilk. It came in three strengths, 1. you just poured it in glass, 2. you poured it in a glass and cut it with a knife, 3. you poured it in glass and cut it with scissors.
My grandmother said buttermilk with plain yogurt mixed in was a good substitute.
I'm not sure as to the correct Finnish spelling.

Real buttermilk is amazingly good. Hot coco made with fresh made buttermilk is to die for. The fake butter milk you buy at the store taste horrible.

Cow tongue is like the best roast beef you have ever had.

My grandparents are Norwegian and they would eat Lutefisk. It's a pickled Cod that smells like lye. It stinks to high heaven and they loved the stuff. Had it once and that was enough.

Nothing I can remember except my mothers chicken and dumplins. Horable stuff, I refuse to eat the stuff even today.
I'm 3rd generation Danish. Farm family but not poor farmers. So for some reason all the traditional Danish diet was gone.
While in the Army I spent a year stationed in the Panama Canal. From there I was sent out to alot of remote places in south America. Stayed with the locals. Advice from the guy I was replacing was, make sure its well cooked and don't ask what it is. Eat alot of good stuff, No I still don't want to know what it was.

Actually it is dried cod fillets that have been reconstituted in lye water.
"It is said that about half the Norwegians who immigrated to America came in order to escape the hated lutefisk, and the other half came to spread the gospel of lutefisk's wonderfulness. - Norwegian-American saying"
Lutefisk History:

Lutefisk (pronounced LEWD-uh-fisk) is dried cod that has been soaked in a lye solution for several days to rehydrate it. It is rinsed with cold water to remove the lye, then boiled or baked, and then served with butter, salt, and pepper.

The finished lutefisk usually is the consistency of Jello. It is also called lyefish, and in the United States, Norwegian-Americans traditionally serve it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. In many Norwegian homes, lutefisk takes the place of the Christmas turkey. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, you can find lutefisk in local food stores and even at some restaurants. It is a food that you either love or hate, and, as some people say, "Once a year is probably enough!"

During the fall in Wisconsin, people watch their local newspapers for announcements of lutefisk suppers, which are usually held in Norwegian churches. Usually every Norwegian church will host at least one lutefisk supper between October and the end of the year. The dinners have become so popular that lovers of this special cod dish drive great distances, and these are not just people of Scandinavian descent.

The history of lutefisk dates back to the Vikings. On one occasion, according to one legend, plundering Vikings burned down a fishing village, including the wooden racks with drying cod. the returning villagers poured water on the racks to put out the fire. Ashes covered the dried fish, and then it rained. the fish buried in the ashes in the ashes thus became soaked in a lye slush. Later the villagers were surprised to see that the dried fish had changed to what looked like fresh fish. They rinsed the fish in water to remove the lye and make it edible, and then boiled it. The story is that one particularly brave villager tasted the fish and declared it "not bad."

Norwegian-Americans believe that lutefisk was brought by their ancestors on the ships when they came to America, and that it was all they had to eat. Today the fish is celebrated in ethnic and religious celebrations and is linked with hardship and courage.

http://oleandlena.areavoices.com/how-to-make-lutefisk/

My grandparents are Norwegian and they would eat Lutefisk. It's a pickled Cod that smells like lye. It stinks to high heaven and they loved the stuff. Had it once and that was enough.

From my Tlingit Indian (SE Alaska) brother-in-law...

Stink eggs (Rotted, dried salmon eggs)

Stink Heads (Rotted salmon heads)

Seal Blubber

All of this stuff is the most aromatic, flavorful material anyone could insert into their mouth. I just touched a small portion of the seal oil to my tongue and couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours. He used to cook eggs in seal oil.

I doubt it....if you're liver hater, you're not going to like ANY kind of liver. Though you are right, it's lighter liver flavor. Personally, I LOVE a big skillet of chicken livers browned well smothered with bacon and onions!
Mmm-Mm good!
Oh, give me a plate of fried chicken hearts to go!;)

The only thing I found awful was lima beans. Never tried the pickled pigs feet my dad liked.Everything else was just dinner.
I guess my family had been here long enough to throw out the bad recipes

Some day my kid will write: My dad really liked the ham and lima C rats with the B1A unit. I thought the ham and lima and ham and eggs were actually good. The pork slices with the congealed fat in them turned my stomach. You just have to remember to shake the fork before you put it in your mouth to scare the flies off.

Some day my kid will write: My dad really liked the ham and lima C rats with the B1A unit. I thought the ham and lima and ham and eggs were actually good. The pork slices with the congealed fat in them turned my stomach. You just have to remember to shake the fork before you put it in your mouth to scare the flies off.

I have seen fist fights to see who DIDN'T get the Ham and Lima Beans! The level of just awful, horrible tasting grease was more than most GIs could cope with!:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top