JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thread resurrection.
I want to get a sight but I'm far sighted. So looking at the original gun sight is a bit blurry on the closer part. Would a red dot work for me or a lower laser pointer for a hand gun? Thanks
Sportsmans Warehouse in Hillsboro had red dots mounted on blue demo guns to try out. For me the red dot is focused when the front sights are blurry now.

not a fan of laser beams.

Thread resurrection.
I want to get a sight but I'm far sighted. So looking at the original gun sight is a bit blurry on the closer part. Would a red dot work for me or a lower laser pointer for a hand gun? Thanks
A red dot sight should help because it's in sharp focus no matter where your eyes are focused. I find a red dot more helpful than a laser. I have several of both. Once you get used to looking at the target and raising the sight to your eyes, you become very fast with a red dot. A quality red dot is easy to see over a wider range of lighting conditions. Lasers are very good for tiny or thin handguns with no room for an optic, for guns that you may want to hip fire or point shoot, and I'm sure some other specific scenarios. Also some people just like lasers and do very well with them. If you know someone with a laser sight on a gun, ask if you can shoot it.

Ebay:

IMG_0345.jpeg

The Rail Master Pro™ Universal Green Laser Sight & Tactical Light combines two tactical tools in a single compact unit. The versatile unit is designed to fit most modern pistols, rifles and shotguns with an M1913 Picatinny or Weaver-style accessory rail. A powerful green laser anchors the unit and provides up to 2 hours of continuous use on a single CR2 Lithium battery. The Rail Master Pro also includes a powerful 100 Lumen white light for target identification. The unit features four operational modes including: Laser/Light Constant On, Laser Constant On, Light Constant On, and Laser w/Light Dazzler. Activation is instant, with Tap On, Tap Off controls and a programmed Auto Shut Off at five minutes to conserve battery life.

Ebay:

View attachment 1751708

The Rail Master Pro™ Universal Green Laser Sight & Tactical Light combines two tactical tools in a single compact unit. The versatile unit is designed to fit most modern pistols, rifles and shotguns with an M1913 Picatinny or Weaver-style accessory rail. A powerful green laser anchors the unit and provides up to 2 hours of continuous use on a single CR2 Lithium battery. The Rail Master Pro also includes a powerful 100 Lumen white light for target identification. The unit features four operational modes including: Laser/Light Constant On, Laser Constant On, Light Constant On, and Laser w/Light Dazzler. Activation is instant, with Tap On, Tap Off controls and a programmed Auto Shut Off at five minutes to conserve battery life.
Those are good quality, and a green laser is brighter and easier to see in daylight.

I primarily shoot 22lr. My problem is my aging eyes do not see iron sights very good. I now have 22 pistols and rifles with Picatinny rails to mount red dot sights. Each gun has its own red dot. I now shoot very accurately. Bought a Taurus TX22 that has a 50% coupon for a Viridian laser sight that mounts in front of the trigger. So, I gave it a try. In the beginning, I was disappointed with sighting it in. It took me a while to learn. I now got it sighted in. Now I'm doing point-shooting. If you are going to get a laser sight, make sure it's adjustable.
Thank You! for the follow-up. That is exactly the information I wanted to know and I just picked up the same gum last week. Very nice gun to the feel and dead on target. I'm gonna go back and see on the booklets if I have that laser sight coupon and get it. Thank you again and thats perfect info!.
HFM

I've had one for years, and really like it.
I have a few CT lasers and they are my favorite brand. You do NOT want to buy a cheap laser. It will fail. Not might - will.
Thank you for the follow-up. I'm gonna get that point and shoot laser too.
I also bought that crimson trace cts-1550 sight red dot (if thats correct). it was on sale but I'm not sure if its gonna work out for my own condition and purpose. But as I read, if someone has a customized bi-focal lens it will also work. I have several glasses made for my job both for computer and machining inspection. And it actually works. They set my tri-focal higher than the normal so I dont have to nod / chin-up when writing programs while inspecting.
I'm also curious how good is the sight since I haven't used one.

When ever I go to the range, I see people with lasers chasing that dot ziggity zaggity all over the target and end up with crappy groups... Yes to lights, no to lasers.

When ever I go to the range, I see people with lasers chasing that dot ziggity zaggity all over the target and end up with crappy groups... Yes to lights, no to lasers.
I don't. It does take discipline and I find that I am a little slower on the first shot. After some practice groups/speed is about the same or better than iron sights. An optical sight - e.g., red dot - might be faster, but I have not tried one on a pistol - yet.

I got new glasses this summer, so I need to try with those.

I don't. It does take discipline and I find that I am a little slower on the first shot. After some practice groups/speed is about the same or better than iron sights. An optical sight - e.g., red dot - might be faster, but I have not tried one on a pistol - yet.

I have a question. Lets say if one is far sighted. Can you have a pair of glasses made specifically for it?

Training, training, training. Best improvements to my shooting was getting training from good instructors. It also provides you with knowledge to make a better informed decision. I wasted a lot of money on what I thought I needed or wanted only to find out it was negatively impacting my shooting goals.

Most don't have the discipline, are you drawing from the holster?

I have a question. Lets say if one is far sighted. Can you have a pair of glasses made specifically for it?
I am not an optometrist, but I do believe you can, yes.

I have 20/20 vision and I am a bit farsighted, but mainly my glasses correct for my double vision; one eye points/focused at a different point than another and my brain no longer completely compensates for that (the older I get the more it is an issue, especially when I am tired and at night) - so without my glasses I see two of things - closely together. My glasses compensate for that. Shooting with one eye open works okay, but I prefer to shoot with both eyes open.

I have a set of glasses specially spec'd out by my optometrist for shooting at 25 yards. The prescription is slightly weakened, compared to my regular glasses, so that I can see the front sight more clearly. Is that what you were thinking of? Lots of shooting people do this.

Also, if you still have a pair of glasses from 20 years ago, those might work as well.

I have a set of glasses specially spec'd out by my optometrist for shooting at 25 yards. The prescription is slightly weakened, compared to my regular glasses, so that I can see the front sight more clearly. Is that what you were thinking of? Lots of shooting people do this.

Also, if you still have a pair of glasses from 20 years ago, those might work as well.Hi,
That's exactly what I meant. I'm going to see my eye doctor next week and see what he'd recommend too.
Thank you for the follow-up

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR