JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over here in Idaho forest fires are a standard event every summer here. It's big bunsiess fighting fires. If your high enough on the list of subcontractors, you get the biz. If you own a cat, or trucks, water trucks, loaders, etc , you get paid big money. I believe these fires are set on purpose. How often? I think 25-30% of the time. When your being paid $5,000 a day to push dirt around, you see dollar signs. I have family that's in this biz.

Over here in Idaho forest fires are a standard event every summer here. It's big bunsiess fighting fires. If your high enough on the list of subcontractors, you get the biz. If you own a cat, or trucks, water trucks, loaders, etc , you get paid big money. I believe these fires are set on purpose. How often? I think 25-30% of the time. When your being paid $5,000 a day to push dirt around, you see dollar signs. I have family that's in this biz.

As always it's "follow the money" of course. People who stand to gain have of course been caught setting fires. Especially in years where there are few being caused by nature or stupid people. This can temp those who make a living off the fire's to go start one.

That's seriously messed up if it's true.

Southern California goes through this every summer as well. The devastation to land, property and people's lives is enormous. My father lost his house in the giant San Diego fires of 2003. I swear, half of this town was on fire that year. He was out shopping with his wife and my sister. The fire was miles off and not headed his way. They got a call from my sister's friend while they were in Home Depot. She was calling my sis just to check on her and make sure she got out ok. They said, "what do you mean, the fire is miles away." Friends said, "no, the winds are up and shifted. The fire is already at the edge of town, get home!"

So they go racing home. Their neighbors were already loading their two horses into the trailer. Thank god for good neighbors. They got the trailer hooked up and grabbed the dog. That's it. They saw the fire coming over the back corner of the house as they were pulling out of the drive. The speed at which that fire had moved was incredible. And there wasn't a fire fighter anywhere. It had moved that quickly and they were all busy other places.

There's a special place in hell for somebody that would intentionally start one of these fires.

Well maybe they are just betting on the clinton idiot voters who can't help but doing incredibly stupid things.
It's like betting on rain here.

No need to start any just wait for the half brains to go out and do their half brain antics

Yeah - when I was in the USCG we would encourage boaters to go out in skiffs and cross the bar in storms just so we would have something to do. Not. :rolleyes:

I think you do most firefighters a disservice. While I am sure there are maybe one percent who might entertain the idea, these guys risk their lives to fight fires and there is plenty of work to go around. With the ***hats from the city out playing with fireworks and building campfires when it is 90+* out, there are plenty of human caused fires - but most of the fires are caused by lightning. You can go to the websites for the fire fighting statuses and most of the known causes are lightning.

Five minute break, then we move out.

11988207_881759601915341_2707031906953043750_n.jpg

Yeah - sure - these guys are out there starting fires so they can do more of this for the money. :rolleyes:

Yeah - when I was in the USCG we would encourage boaters to go out in skiffs and cross the bar in storms just so we would have something to do. Not. :rolleyes:

I think you do most firefighters a disservice. While I am sure there are maybe one percent who might entertain the idea, these guys risk their lives to fight fires and there is plenty of work to go around. With the ***hats from the city out playing with fireworks and building campfires when it is 90+* out, there are plenty of human caused fires - but most of the fires are caused by lightning. You can go to the websites for the fire fighting statuses and most of the known causes are lightning.
Read my post again. I said subcontractors. Not firefighters. I said people who make $5,000 a day. Not $175.00

I do wonder about some politics getting in the way not allowing resources getting involved when needed.

I wonder why ISIS, NORTH KOREA have not send operatives to U.S. to light everything on fire in the summer time.,, or maybe they do?

I've wondered the same thing for years. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Mom always said to follow the money trail though., especially where wars are concerned, even "wars" on drugs. Takes time and research; the kind very few are willing to do and verify.

What can I say, life itself is one big risk. It all depends upon how one chooses to risk it. Either way, no one is pointing a gun to their heads when they make that choice, just as no one forced me to put myself in harms way when I was a naive young idealist, so no sympathy from this mug.

Disaster can strike at any time. One has to be ready to pick up and get mobile at a moments notice, and hopefully be well insured, or not too materially attached.

Isn't the urban legend about the Tillamook fire that one of those fire bombs finally went off?

It's like the dent guy that goes around bashing in car fenders, or the window guy during a riot breaking in windows. Maybe it happens, but I can't prove it.

I can see it being profitable if you get away with it...

Personal Rant ... Subjective ...

Florence/Biscuit fire. Now the Checko (sp?) Bar fire. Both in SW Oregon USA. The first in about 2001. The second still ongoing. In both cases a POLITICAL decision NOT to fight the dinky spot lightning strike caused fire was made. The Florence spot fire we actually watched for WEEKS from Cave Junction Oregon. No resources were put on the fire. A wilderness area.

Same with the Checko Bar fire? Wilderness area. Nothing was put on THAT spot fire for weeks. Same poor decision making process made twice. But ... what do they have in common? NOW they have a major fire on their hands. NOW tremendous amounts of resources can be $spent$. It almost makes one think these huge lucrative fires are ALLOWED to grow large?

I have close buddies who make big bucks driving big Cat dozers, water trucks, support vehicles, whatever. Thousands of bucks per day for some. One man who shall remain nameless told me over 50% of his total YEARLY equipment business income comes from contracting out with government agencies and being gone for up to 2 months. Big bucks for him indeed.

His equipment sometimes does not even get off the trailer. Big low boys with lots of axles. Big dozers. His water trucks do get lots of use doing silly things like assisting apparatus wash downs so some nasty fungus or weed does not get moved around. He tells me the stories of the political bull puckie he must endure to stay contracted with the Federal Government. Wow.

Then the guv does not pay him for 6 months. But he does it year after year because of the big money. Something to consider. Is our motivation wrong with this? Wildfires being big business? I am not sure here. How could it be done differently? Or is this just the way our Federal Government operates? Very slow. Very expensively? Ponderously? I don't understand.

Respectfully.

I think I heard someone else say the gov. did not fight the Chetco fire at first, that they let it burn. I heard the manager of fire fighting there state on the radio that this was not true, that because of where it was they fought it from the offset.

As to someone purposely setting the fires so that they can make money fighting them, show me the evidence, not supposition or allegations. If you have evidence, then why have you not gone to the state gov. with that evidence?

Having been a first responder myself for four years (USCG) I just do not like it when I hear such accusations.

Suspicions. Not accusations. Helo drops COULD have been made on the Checko Bar fire. Fact. Were not. Wilderness area. A POLITICAL decision. Florence/Biscuit fire ... Several hand crews were ready. Were not allowed in. Wilderness area. If they had been allowed in, all the chain saws and power tools would have had to remain behind. Misery whips only. Can you believe it? Again a political decision. I do not like it any better than you but there you have it.

Commonality ... both small spots became very big fires. Both lighting caused. Because of such allowed to burn? Perhaps we have cause and effect mixed up? Possibly. But ... Occam's Razor. Simplest cause or solution. Follow the money? Fact ... big fires are big business. It also seems the political decisions result in the big fires. Related? The question remains ... is a political decision allowing small fires to become big fires the same THEME as purposely starting a fire?

Does that follow? Gawd I hope not.

HB of CJ. Many years in an ISO Class One Fire Department driving a Triple. Later a Type 1. Arsonists are ScumVermin.

Respectfully.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads