JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over here in Idaho forest fires are a standard event every summer here. It's big bunsiess fighting fires. If your high enough on the list of subcontractors, you get the biz. If you own a cat, or trucks, water trucks, loaders, etc , you get paid big money. I believe these fires are set on purpose. How often? I think 25-30% of the time. When your being paid $5,000 a day to push dirt around, you see dollar signs. I have family that's in this biz.

Some of what you say is true...fires HAVE been intentionally started, by firefighters, in the past. However, the WAY you say it makes it sound like all contractors are greedy bastards who would sell their souls to make a dollar. That's just not true and, without those contractors, we'd be hosed, anyway.

I'm a wildland firefighter who just got back from a 14 day stint in SW Oregon (the Horse Prairie fire). Yes, I went there for the money. Yes, I made as much money in 2 weeks as I normally would in a month and a half. However, I drove 12 hours to get there and 12 hours to get home. I worked minimum 12 1/2 hour days. I slept on a cot for half the time and paid $100/night for a motel, out of my own pocket, for the other half. I ate sack lunches for the entire time, except those times where the locals fed us special meals out of gratitude for what we were doing for them. On one fire, several years ago, I even donated $100 to a local who lost his home.

Many of the people who do this for a living are just like me and I would rather we be remembered for those good things we do than the bad things that a rare few, sick, individuals are responsible for.

Maybe my tone was to direct. And thanks for fighting the fires. But I've just formed an opinion that money changes people. And usually not for the good. I come from success. I have many successful family members. Money blinded most of them.

Happy to report that our Lolo area fire here in western Montana appears to be out, or nearly out, thanks to recent rain/snow. I could actually see up the valley toward Missoula while out riding my bike, no smoke apparent. Not sure how many square miles burnt, but last I heard it was about the size of the state of Rhode Island, so it's a lot, don't watch the news, just youtube.

I do wonder about some politics getting in the way not allowing resources getting involved when needed.

I seem to remember the start of this years monster fire, being detected at 1/2 acre in size, and it was deemed too difficult and dangerous to fight on the ground.
So they just sat back and watched it grow, OUT OF HAND!
It's at over 188,000 acres according to our local paper.
At a half acre I would think a couple helicopters could have put it out in one day, and then it wouldn't be TOO dangerous for the crew on the ground!
Someone just plain let that one get away, just like they did in 2002 when the Biscuit fire started exactly the same way small from lightening, and was set on and watched grow into a monster almost as big as this one in the same darn area!
We were on 30 minute standby for that one too and it was just 2 ridges over from our home. What about learning from your mistakes?
So tell me just who is the numb nuts that was making the call and was it the same guy again this time? I think if it was they should lock him or her up and throw the key away! :s0146: End of rant!

Gabby

Last Edited:
I seem to remember the start of this years monster fire, being detected at 1/2 acre in size, and it was deemed too difficult and dangerous to fight on the ground.
So they just sat back and watched it grow, OUT OF HAND!
It's at over 188,000 acres according to our local paper.
At a half acre I would think a couple helicopters could have put it out in one day, and then it wouldn't be TOO dangerous for the crew on the ground!
Someone just plain let that one get away, just like they did in 2002 when the Biscuit fire started exactly the same way small from lightening, and was set on and watched grow into a monster almost as big as this one in the same darn area!
We were on 30 minute standby for that one too and it was just 2 ridges over from our home. What about learning from your mistakes?
So tell me just who is the numb nuts that was making the call and was it the same guy again this time? I think if it was they should lock him or her up and throw the key away! :s0146: End of rant!

Gabby
Another curiosity of mine is best displayed by this article.

Wildfires are bankrupting western states, accelerating their financial demise

I have many successful family members. Money blinded most of them.

Success can be defined in many different ways. If you are using the assembling of large amounts of money and assets as successful that is one definition. I know a lot of people like that. Some of them are very nice people. Some are the biggest pric*s that walk the earth, they are estranged from their families and kids and live for material things and activities. They don't even have dogs. That is not success by my definition.

Gabby

The Biscuit Fire was 15 years ago. If the mental midgets that were in command in those days had their 10 to 15 years already in that you would think they would for command positions, then they are long retired enjoying their Fed G 12 pension of 120K a year, and as a result, their incompetence and bad decisions are being rewarded with winters in Yuma and summers in the San Juans.

This pattern will no doubt continue as each successive evolution of Federal leaches keep command level positions, and a very simple playbook has been used. Fire starts, let fire get big, bring in contractors, attempt to put fire out. Looking at how many acres burn every year, that takes those acres out of the management problem for 15 to 20 years. Each year that much burns and the cycle continues.

Because there is no excessive fuel loads in the Cascades. The road to Three Creeks Lake south of Sisters last Friday. It was relatively clear at 6,000 feet. Below that you could not see the Sisters from Sisters or Black Butte. It was worse on Sunday morning.

DSC_0836_zpsy1u9q1ql.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top