JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 243 is THE classic tweener. A low recoil choice capable of killing anything from small varmints to elk size game in a pinch which the right bullet selection. Finding ammo in a pinch also weighs on a decision these days. My .02...

Everyone knows the 7mm mag is superior to the 300wm out past 1000 yardso_O

Not sure I could even see a target that far away, let alone hit it. Hats off to all you long-range hunters.

IMG_0159.PNG

Not sure I could even see a target that far away, let alone hit it. Hats off to all you long-range hunters.

View attachment 330273
Not much for range sniping. Rather 'hunt' a little more;)
That's for big game though. I see no problem shooting long range on yotes or paper. And I need a lot of scope for that:D
**I don't know we're half of the shnit they fill in for me comes from**

Last Edited:
Oh yeah. Ordered the preditor in 6.5 today.......
Now for scope selection.
Now some would say not to spend too much on this gun. Heck it's a $400 gun! But I'll look at it as a $400 barrel and action in a POS chassis.
I can get the Boyd's stock at $144, (maybe) then a nice scope.
I am a firm believer in spending as much or more on a scope than I did on a riffle. OK wishy washy believer. Some decent Vortex out there in the $300 range that might work perfect.
Anyone know who makes good bases for these? Meaning not weaver,lol. I do like their picatiny rail bases.
Thank for the replies guys
Mike

The OP's 7mm rem mag will work on anything in north America. However, every red blooded American should own at least 1 good 30-06. I'd suggest one if you don't have one yet.

You need this 270 fwt, but it will cost you....;)

IMG_0892_zpsco2l9yiy.jpg
IMG_0894_zpsypnvpenx.jpg
002_zps68b1cc67.jpg

She's a sweet shooter for such an old rifle. Weighs in at 6.5 pounds too, so fairly lightweight for an old rifle. Easy on the eyes too...:p

"There's not much in this life you can't fix with $500.00 and a .30-'06." - Anonymous

I prefer the old '06 because:

a) At its highest level of power, it isn't abusive to shoot.

b) You can effectively hunt anything on the North American Continent

c) loads easily (and quite well).

d) it is universally available and,

e) It won't ruin the game as much as higher velocity and more powerful cartridges.

Need I say more?

Good luck with the 6.5CM. I'm in the midst of rolling over some of the safe to start trying it out! My centerfires will settle into .204, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7 Mag, with a couple of lever thumpers in between.

Here is a scope worth considering that is also easy on the wallet:

The reviewer has a hundred part series on long range shooting (Sniper 101) and has on occasion shot a beer can at 1300+ yards on the first shot.

OK everyone wants to know all the info to help pick a caliber.
No need really as YOU will give me your reasons for which one
I'm thinking of a Ruger American preditor in 223,6.5 creedmore, or 243
I already have a 223 'wylde' AR. And a 7mm mag. The 223 would compliment the AR but that's kinda boring,no? As why 308 ain't on here,lol
Maybe something different?
Deer & dogs mostly. I have WIDE open spaces to shoot;)
Thanks
Mike
I know a couple of people who are happy with their 6.5 creedmore rifles

OK everyone wants to know all the info to help pick a caliber.
No need really as YOU will give me your reasons for which one
I'm thinking of a Ruger American preditor in 223,6.5 creedmore, or 243
I already have a 223 'wylde' AR. And a 7mm mag. The 223 would compliment the AR but that's kinda boring,no? As why 308 ain't on here,lol
Maybe something different?
Deer & dogs mostly. I have WIDE open spaces to shoot;)
Thanks
Mike
I highly recommend the 243. I have shot the cartridge for decades, killing many deer and antelope with it. It is easy and inexpensive to reload; the brass lasts forever. If you don't reload, the ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and ubiquitous.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top