JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is a scope worth considering that is also easy on the wallet:

The reviewer has a hundred part series on long range shooting (Sniper 101) and has on occasion shot a beer can at 1300+ yards on the first shot.
I've watched lots of his vids. Forgot about Rex. I'll go to his channel tonight and look around again
Must be nice to have the money to shoot like he does

I highly recommend the 243. I have shot the cartridge for decades, killing many deer and antelope with it. It is easy and inexpensive to reload; the brass lasts forever. If you don't reload, the ammunition is relatively inexpensive, and ubiquitous.
There is a BLR in 243 at the pawn shop I'm hoping will last a few months.

For yotes with 243, run enough h4895 to push a hornady 58gr. Z-max to 3800fps and you will be impressed with both the accuracy and deadness this round provides. Have only had one exit wound to date at it was the same size as the entrance. When you pick your dead coyote up it feels like a big water balloon.:s0024:

Mike,

You could let your inner cowboy come out for awhile. Here are my Marlin rifle and Ruger revolver, both in .357 magnum. Buffalo Bore hard-cast 180 grain rounds work just fine on deer.

+1 for a lever gun in .357 magnum (and .38 & +P). Very versatile weapon and a fine "gateway" piece for younger/smaller shooters not quite ready for cannons.

The .44 mag lever is also cool. Both rifles make great companions to their sibling handguns.

Unless, of course, the objective is to own and load as many different calibers as possible...

I recently went with a Marlin 1895-GBL in 45-70. Why? Because I still have feeling in my shoulder from my 12ga, Lol.
I wanted (needed...) a rifle that takes "BLAMMO"...not "ammo".

As far as your options in the OP, throw a dart. Any one of 'em is good.
In the charts below, the Creedmoor would get my vote.

I'm in the middle of building a 6.8 SPC for varmints and deer, built on PRI and PSA and Aero parts. If I get the time, I'll test drive it, today or tomorrow.

I went with 7mm-08 for deer and coyote because I bought a 7-08 for my daughter for Christmas last year and found I really liked the round. Since I already load for 7RM, I like 7mm bullets too. I got it in a Ruger M77 All weather Stainless mountain rifle, 7lbs including glass. So far, I love it.

The 6.5CM has interested me in a AR10 platform, not in a bolt gun.

Here are some tables, bottom one is 7mm-08, and is the reason I run with it:

6.8spc vs 243 win_graph.PNG 6.8spc vs 243 win.PNG 6.5CreedmoorTable.PNG

7mm-08_Table.PNG

I've been watching long range shooting videos on youtube. And have decided I need a budget gun to see how far I can shoot. Like the OP I decided on a Ruger American Predator but chamber in .243. Will likely upgrade to a Boyd's stock with a few custom upgrades. Not sure what to do as far a scope.

I plan to have cataract surgery in March. So I'm not in a big hurry to get the gun put together. Keep us updated on your new gun. I'm very interested in how it goes.

Don

@P7id10T ,I was going to do the 7mm08 for commonality of bullits but really wanted to try out the 6.5. I have my kid moving to Idaho and maybe my grandkid (13 so he'll make the choice)
So if I get a couple of these they won't go to waste.
Funny thing is I did do an AR in 6.8spc a few years back. Traded it to someone on here I believe, for a motorcycle and trailer.
He lived in Vancouver area. Never did shoot it much if at all.
Wonder if he sold it and doubled his money as it was right after Sandy Hook

@P7id10T ,I was going to do the 7mm08 for commonality of bullits but really wanted to try out the 6.5. I have my kid moving to Idaho and maybe my grandkid (13 so he'll make the choice)
So if I get a couple of these they won't go to waste.
Funny thing is I did do an AR in 6.8spc a few years back. Traded it to someone on here I believe, for a motorcycle and trailer.
He lived in Vancouver area. Never did shoot it much if at all.
Wonder if he sold it and doubled his money as it was right after Sandy Hook
I know you traded it, but how did you like the 6.8 SPC?

As far as your options in the OP, throw a dart. Any one of 'em is good.
In the charts below, the Creedmoor would get my vote.

I'm in the middle of building a 6.8 SPC for varmints and deer, built on PRI and PSA and Aero parts. If I get the time, I'll test drive it, today or tomorrow.

I went with 7mm-08 for deer and coyote because I bought a 7-08 for my daughter for Christmas last year and found I really liked the round. Since I already load for 7RM, I like 7mm bullets too. I got it in a Ruger M77 All weather Stainless mountain rifle, 7lbs including glass. So far, I love it.

The 6.5CM has interested me in a AR10 platform, not in a bolt gun.

Here are some tables, bottom one is 7mm-08, and is the reason I run with it:

View attachment 330836 View attachment 330837 View attachment 330838

View attachment 330839

I've always been very fond of the 7mm-08 and think it is a very underrated caliber. Only reason I went with the 6.5 Creed is I already had an AR-10 chambered for it as well as a 6.5 Grendel so didn't want a 3rd similar caliber. 6.5 Creed can be had in large enough bullet weights where I just didn't see the need for the -08.

I have had a 7mm mag in the past and while I loved it's numbers, it kicked like a mule and barrel life if you do a lot of shooting is horrible.

I'd love to get a simple AR upper in .243 WSSM with like a non-whippy 7-8 twist 24" barrel. It's like 150-200 fps faster than the .243 Win.
WSSM on left..

upload_2016-12-24_22-6-23.jpeg

This rig of course would warrant a decent but humble scope.

Cool cartridge! I can't speak for the OP but I'm looking at the same Ruger American Predator rifle only in .243. This is a budget friendly gun($400 - $425) and the .243 is a common caliber.

I looked in the Hornady reloading manual. That .243 WSSM makes those faster velocities with powder charges similar to the .243 Win. Interesting, I assumed it was using 15 to 20% more powder.

I'm staying with my plan for the Ruger in .243 Win. Pretty good price for a rifle with a medium contour threaded barrel. Brass is easy to get and fairly priced. And factory ammo is cheaper then the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Just checked Ruger's site and they list a new chambering for the Predator, 6mm Creedmoor. I'm staying with the .243 Win for the reasons above.

Don

Cool cartridge! I can't speak for the OP but I'm looking at the same Ruger American Predator rifle only in .243. This is a budget friendly gun($400 - $425) and the .243 is a common caliber.

I looked in the Hornady reloading manual. That .243 WSSM makes those faster velocities with powder charges similar to the .243 Win. Interesting, I assumed it was using 15 to 20% more powder.

I'm staying with my plan for the Ruger in .243 Win. Pretty good price for a rifle with a medium contour threaded barrel. Brass is easy to get and fairly priced. And factory ammo is cheaper then the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Just checked Ruger's site and they list a new chambering for the Predator, 6mm Creedmoor. I'm staying with the .243 Win for the reasons above.

Don
I hears ya. I loves me the .243 Win. I just think it's neat that the WSSM is compatible with the AR15 platform.. not the AR10. A much more handy and light package... and a lot less money for essentially more whop downrange.

Don
I doubt you'll go wrong with that caliber. It another popular caliber up here for yotes and antelope. I guess they do use it for deer also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top