JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK everyone wants to know all the info to help pick a caliber.
No need really as YOU will give me your reasons for which one
I'm thinking of a Ruger American preditor in 223,6.5 creedmore, or 243
I already have a 223 'wylde' AR. And a 7mm mag. The 223 would compliment the AR but that's kinda boring,no? As why 308 ain't on here,lol
Maybe something different?
Deer & dogs mostly. I have WIDE open spaces to shoot;)
Thanks
Mike

I don't think your doing it right?

You should stumble across a gun first with beautiful wood. Or some other feature that calls to you.
No matter the strange, obscure caliber. Your creative mind can justify it after the fact. :D

45-70. I have loved mine. There is nothing like that big old thumper. But of yours I would go .223. With heavy bullets like 75gr the differences between 6.5 are not worth the money.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty popular right now. Or you could go with an oldie but goodie, the 6.5x55 Swede. Just to be a little different. One thing these cartridges have in common, is they are synonymous with inherent accuracy..

I love my bolt actions in 223. Super fun and accurate. Unless you plan to go to eight hundred to one thousand all the time, the larger calibers are too easy at 1-7 hundred yards. 223 is challenging at 2-7 hundred. I'd say if you have a place in the woods to 2-4 hundred, which is likely what you'll find, 223 will be much more entertaining to shoot over the larger calibers at that distance. I found my 308, which I recently sold, too boring unless I was shooting to 800-1000 yards which made it challenging.

Shoot, here in OR you can't even hunt deer with .223.

Either way I vote .243. A very under-appreciated round IMHO.

Shoot, here in OR you can't even hunt deer with .223.

Either way I vote .243. A very under-appreciated round IMHO.
Not true, elk has to be over 22 cal. Deer can be taken with 22 cal. Even 22 hornet if you wanted to.

Another vote for the 6.5x55. Good for everything from varmints to moose, light recoil, flat shooting, accurate. Get yourself one in a nice tikka and call it good.

OK everyone wants to know all the info to help pick a caliber.
No need really as YOU will give me your reasons for which one
I'm thinking of a Ruger American preditor in 223,6.5 creedmore, or 243
I already have a 223 'wylde' AR. And a 7mm mag. The 223 would compliment the AR but that's kinda boring,no? As why 308 ain't on here,lol
Maybe something different?
Deer & dogs mostly. I have WIDE open spaces to shoot;)
Thanks
Mike

Mike,

You could let your inner cowboy come out for awhile. Here are my Marlin rifle and Ruger revolver, both in .357 magnum. Buffalo Bore hard-cast 180 grain rounds work just fine on deer.

IMG_0146.JPG

I love my bolt actions in 223. Super fun and accurate. Unless you plan to go to eight hundred to one thousand all the time, the larger calibers are too easy at 1-7 hundred yards. 223 is challenging at 2-7 hundred. I'd say if you have a place in the woods to 2-4 hundred, which is likely what you'll find, 223 will be much more entertaining to shoot over the larger calibers at that distance. I found my 308, which I recently sold, too boring unless I was shooting to 800-1000 yards which made it challenging.
We have guys shooting,or claiming 3k yards.
Finding a lot by range range ain't a problem here.
I guess the 223/556 is fine for the AR. I did have a Mossy bolt gun in 556 that used the AR mags( mvp). But Beyer offered a trade for one of his barrels.
243 has been interesting along with the 6.5s. Both popular around here.
But I do have the 7mm to go out past 700 yards iffin I ever try that out
How about my choice of weapons? Anybody had experience with this rifle? I only here good things about them
And a Boyd's stock is $144 (hate that plastic pos stock,love the accuracy)

Within 300 yards it pretty easy to shoot a .223. Past that is where the challenge is, sort of.

Everyone knows the 7mm mag is superior to the 300wm out past 1000 yardso_O

That's about the point where retained energy of the 7mm surpasses the 300 WM. Also it's shooting flatter, has less wind drift, and a better sectional density. Means beans if you can't hit what you are shooting at given the distance.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top