JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
at 67' , and over the yrs. i'v used about every common cal. there is ..... the 7mm is about the best over-all i'v found...... i use a "loading recipe" for the 146 gr. red tip Hornady, set at 150 yrd., it's fast an accurate + it only has about a 1" drop in 500 yrds .... my brother in-law helps me load to keep price down...... and yes, it's fun to shoot at anything ...
just a note = i'v found in life, tho many guns appeal to me, ya have to check out what ammo costs for some of the new cal.... if ya like shooting as much as i do, the money for "fun ammo" can get costly ...... kinda like buying 22"-26" wheels for your car or truck, check what the tires cost first ... eh

steve

Last Edited:
I am assuming you are exaggerating a little, which is fine. Looking at Hornady's numbers for bullets in that weight range, with a 200 yard zero, they are dropping 32-35" at 500 yards. ;)

Well picked up the American preditor in 6.5 creedmore today. I'll get the scope after payday.
It's really not that bad of stock. I'll leave it as it is for now. Like a guy here in town said it's a cheap quad gun. I'm going to top it with a Nikon prostaff 4-12 scope and see if that will work for me for a bit.( till it pisses me off)
That will keep the package at the $600 range. Not bad if it performs as advertised :)

I am assuming you are exaggerating a little, which is fine. Looking at Hornady's numbers for bullets in that weight range, with a 200 yard zero, they are dropping 32-35" at 500 yards. ;)
not sure of recipe, i'll look on my cartridge holder, and let ya know .... we were shooting at a 200 ft tall sandstone wall, about 20 ft up, fairly new range finder, and it showed 489 yrds, and first shot was (as it looked thru finder about 4in low) my brother in law, who is more steady then i, hit between my shot and the target, but i'll check recipe for sure ..... i know there is "no" 32-36 drop

steve

not sure of recipe, i'll look on my cartridge holder, and let ya know .... we were shooting at a 200 ft tall sandstone wall, about 20 ft up, fairly new range finder, and it showed 489 yrds, and first shot was (as it looked thru finder about 4in low) my brother in law, who is more steady then i, hit between my shot and the target, but i'll check recipe for sure ..... i know there is "no" 32-36 drop

steve

It doesn't matter what 7mm your shooting and how hot you load it, there is no physical way that you can sight a 140gr bullet in at 150yds and have it drop less then 25"+ at 500yds. Also Hornady doesn't sell a 146gr .284 bullet.

Typing in a 3200fps muzzle velocity on a 150gr still gives you a 34" drop and that is moving for a 150gr round.

Last Edited:

steve

<broken link removed>

The above link is to Hornday's Superformance 139 gr SST 7mm Rem Mag loaded ammunition. Look at their numbers an see what you think.

well, the jokes on me .... called my brother in law last nite to check on formula for my loading, and told him i had a rebuttal on NWF ...... he said that when i brought my rifle into the house, and sat it in the corner, off to bed .... he tweaked my scope to a little over 5 moa .... he said take a look, i'll bet its still set there, it is ! i'm not a so called gun guru, but he is, and has been his whole life ....... we hunt the stubble fields upper Dalles area, and pretty much all shots are going to be long, but have come up empty handed two yrs now .... i have a handicap license, so if it has hair..... its mine... last one was in 14', with a nice big cow in freezer....

steve

It doesn't matter what 7mm your shooting and how hot you load it, there is no physical way that you can sight a 140gr bullet in at 150yds and have it drop less then 25"+ at 500yds. Also Hornady doesn't sell a 146gr .284 bullet.

Typing in a 3200fps muzzle velocity on a 150gr still gives you a 34" drop and that is moving for a 150gr round.

well, i posted a reason for MOA being off, but yep, the bullets were purchased back when they first started selling the red tip, and 146 grain at approx 45.00 a box ... im 67', and have M/S and its messing with my memory at times, but the bullets i think were purchased like in 09' to 00'

well, actually he did say something the next morning, but with my hearing, i didn't get all the info . still adjusting to illness, eye-site, hearing and equilibrium ... i'm really not used to having help in what i do, and it pisxxs me off ..

steve

Congrats on the rifle. I have one of "little" Ruger American Predators in 22mag and it is a hoot. I fear the success of the "Americans" is leading to Ruger killing off their M77/MkII/Hawkeye line, however, and I am not happy about that. Sounds like they've dropped the small 77 line, and may be reducing calibers in the large line. I love that old action.

Congrats on the rifle. I have one of "little" Ruger American Predators in 22mag and it is a hoot. I fear the success of the "Americans" is leading to Ruger killing off their M77/MkII/Hawkeye line, however, and I am not happy about that. Sounds like they've dropped the small 77 line, and may be reducing calibers in the large line. I love that old action.
I doubt it will kill off the 77 line. I hated this rifle when I first saw them in the shop. Just cheapo looking. And I don't like plastic stocks.
There will always be a market for a proper rifle of wood and blue

I would think so, but I can see certain bean counters at Ruger deciding their production needs to be dedicated to their "high volume" products. I know my 77/17wsm is now an orphan, but that is okay, it's pretty sweet on prairie rats

I doubt it will kill off the 77 line. I hated this rifle when I first saw them in the shop. Just cheapo looking. And I don't like plastic stocks.
There will always be a market for a proper rifle of wood and blue

for me anyway, i'v always had trouble excepting the plastic style stocks, and to this day, the only plastic stock is my old 995 hi-point, even my hand-guns are all metal.... with my M/S, i can't hold a plastic hand gun tight enough .... older Para 1911, older Beretta 92, Ruger' II & III, Ruger Charger ..... even my old mac-90 still has wood thumb-hole stock .... "wood & blue" hard to beat....... eh

steve

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads