JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a gun (Super Blackhawk) from a member here (no names)
and its sweet and all. Except for one problem... It smells awful of cat urine, as in it seems as if it was soaked in it for an extended duration.

Right I know should of looked at it more toughly, well I didnt. I did not notice the smell till I got home and started cycling the action a bit.. After completely disassembling it its clear that the urine was everywhere..

I thought about a ultra sonic parts cleaner but I dont have access to one.

QUESTION: How do I get rid of the odor?

QUESTION2: any one want to buy a gun?:rolleyes:

Any help?

after chuckling a bit, I suppose the only way is to completely disassemble it. clean it. toss the grips and get new ones. Should take care of the smell, the metal is non porous.

how much?

is that the pistol that had the plastic case with the eagle on it? perhaps the cat was peeing on the case? seems like people with cats grow imune to the smell. not intended to offend anybody.

Windex, Carb and Choke Cleaner, Gun Degreaser, pick your poison. After you spray it down with any of the aforementioned cleaners, clean it thoroughly like you picked it out of the dirt and shot it on the range and you should be fine.

Probably just mold from storage.

Nope.. The metal is for sure odoriferous. But the grips are gone.
I know I should clean it, but with what?

Check out on youtube Hornadys sonic cleaner. You might have to take the gun apart a bit, but this thing gets stuff CLEAN. I know Oak Harbor Freight sells a cheaper model. I'd start with that as well as the fore mentioned grip change.

Windex, Carb and Choke Cleaner, Gun Degreaser, pick your poison. After you spray it down with any of the aforementioned cleaners, clean it thoroughly like you picked it out of the dirt and shot it on the range and you should be fine.

Probably just mold from storage.

Ill try that when I get home..

I once picked up a 1970s LC metal buckled army belt for one of my collections' set ups...it had the cat piss smell...i put it in a small tub with half a cup of the Arm-Hammer baking soda in there...and warm water...4 days later no more smell! might work for you?

Charcoal briquets. Put it in a bag or tupperware with some charcoal and let sit for a few days. I've used this trick for dead animals in cars and once when a package of fish was left in the trunk of a Cadillac!

Simple Green or go to the local Pet Smart?CO ? and ask them about cat urine.

Anything you soak the gun in is less toxic than cat urine

Soak it for days or months. or soak it in mouth wash and sell it?

Two words.....Nature's Miracle. You can get it at any pet store worth a damn. I should have bought stock in this company years ago. Soak it for a few minutes, brush it off and then rinse with water and chase that with decent light solvent like WD40 (WD= water displacement). Then re-lube the gun in the right places with the correct lubes.

Ask the seller (the guy who gave you positive feedback most recently....no need to give names when your profile has it on it) how the urine came to find itself on the gun and ask if he had done anything to clean it in the past. Should give you an idea of just how much scrubbing and soaking you have ahead of you.

Take it apart, wash it in soapy water, use some canned air to blow it off, rinse it with 90% rubbing alcohol and let it dry (to remove / displace the remaining water), oil it, put it back together. should be fine... sterile too.

The high society woman was standing next to a bum and could stand it no longer when she said "Sir you smell" The bum replied "Ma'am, I stink, you smell"

jj

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR