JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Except for one problem... It smells awful of cat urine, as in it seems as if it was soaked in it for an extended duration"

How does one end up with a gun soaked in cat urine for an extended period of time - I am curious as to how it happened?

"Except for one problem... It smells awful of cat urine, as in it seems as if it was soaked in it for an extended duration"

How does one end up with a gun soaked in cat urine for an extended period of time - I am curious as to how it happened?

Maybe the previous owner could not afford a safe so he kept his gun and other valuables in the cat box.

So I bought a gun (Super Blackhawk) from a member here (no names)
and its sweet and all. Except for one problem... It smells awful of cat urine, as in it seems as if it was soaked in it for an extended duration.

Right I know should of looked at it more toughly, well I didnt. I did not notice the smell till I got home and started cycling the action a bit.. After completely disassembling it its clear that the urine was everywhere..

I thought about a ultra sonic parts cleaner but I dont have access to one.

QUESTION: How do I get rid of the odor?

QUESTION2: any one want to buy a gun?:rolleyes:

Any help?

The gun I sold him never smelled at all, much less like cat pee and there was no residue of any kind on the gun. My gun was in near perfect condition with NO smell, period.
The buyer examined the gun for several minutes. He had it out of its case, checked everything out, including spinning the cylinder and asking me to show him how it loads and ejects spent casings. Cat pee is a very strong, distinct smell. If it has cat pee residue all through the gun, why didn't he smell it when he was looking at it in the first place? How did it magically get full of cat pee residue between the time he handled it extensively in Albany and he drove home to Salem?

I had my gun smith, who is a retired sheriff and well-respected in the "gun world," refinish and clean the gun only 2 weeks ago. Since I picked it up from him, it has been in its case locked in my gun safe—and yes, I do have a gun safe. When the buyer first emailed me about the cat pee smell, I thought he was joking, but I emailed my gun smith to ask if any solvents he used could possibly resemble cat pee in smell and told him what this guy was saying. Here is a cut-and-paste of his reply:

1. Cleaning is done in a solvent tank (same bio-safe stuff used in auto shop solvent tanks nowdays)
2. Then anti-grease final cleaning wash
3. Cold Bluing treatment
4. Gun oil
5. Card (polish with a super soft brush
6. Repeat 1-5 until the desired finish is present
7. Renaissance Gun Wax final coat
None of them smell like urine and I've never experience that odor before, during, or after the process.

My gunsmith would have noticed cat pee smell and residue when he serviced the gun. And, if there had been any smell of any kind, even from a previous owner, his thorough cleaning of it would have eliminated it anyway, although there was NEVER any smell from that gun, period. My gun never came into contact with a cat.

So, I have no idea why the buyer is making this very strange accusation that I sold him a gun that smells like cat pee, unless he had buyer's remorse and wanted to undo the trade, but this is still a far-fetched story even if that is the case. Either way, it just isn’t so. I sent him an email with this information, and all he replied was “I ain’t mad at you” (direct quote), but didn’t explain how he could have missed smelling cat pee when he handled the gun for quite a while during the trade or to address the information my gunsmith provided.

I have never traded nor sold a gun that wasn't in the exact condition I advertized it, and certainly would not sell a gun that had a cat pee issue.

This accusation would be comical if it weren’t slanderous. I would simply ignore it, but he pretty much tried to paint me as a bad seller on this forum and I can’t let that go.

Mystery pee, is it real, you decide.

I suppose it is possible that sometime after the OP bought the gun someone close to him unbeknownst to him peed in his gun.

Or it's possible the OP has an issue medically with his Nose.

JP is sounding very credible in his post.

The OP not so much.

Whoa, there's a lot of talk here, and I aint going to respond to it all. But few things.
I got the commercial cat urine remover.
and I am trying all sorts of home remedies.

I don't really believe that it was actually soaked in urine, it just smells bad. I had a few other people smell it, without telling them anything more than something like "This cleaner smell weird." They all responded with something to the effect of smells like cat urine.

I really aint mad at the seller, he was nice enough. And I should of been more careful when buying the gun. It was my fault for not smelling the gun. Next used gun I buy the dude is going to look at me crazy when I smell it.

I can tell you that The more I worked the action the more the substance (What I think is urine) worked its way out. I could actually see liquid oozing out around the hammer where. Much in the way an over oiled gun would.

I dont know why I dont appear credible. I also did not use yer name at all. It was your decision to step in to this discussion... Shoot. If some one would ask me if I should buy a gun from you id say yeah..

I dont have buyers remorse, Its just become more of a project than anticipated.

But thanks for bringing yourself in to this.
I dont care about being right or wrong, I just want to shoot a gun that is not stinky.

I've smelt things worse than cat piss. worked as a machinist, and done some junkyarding and flea market and picking through antique stores and thrift stores...good lordy some of the scents are far far worse than cat piss... sometimes metal that has worn or aged in a funky way, usually in conjunction to being too close to moldy substances or mildew, gives off a scent similar to cat piss. sometimes its an artifact of the cold bluing or finishing process...but I aint smelt a cat piss-soaked gun before..i once handled a gun that left my hands black stained for a week..it also smelt like it was in 30 weight oil too! that was not a good one. I can't remember where it was though...or what it was....too bad, it used to be a nice gun. morale;' there are some funky smelling objects out there, be careful of what you handle. my current bunch of firearms all smell like Kleen-bore oil and powder lol.

The cat was anti-gun.

I've handled guns that were lubed with automatic transmission fluid and they smelled a little like that.

I'd say spray down a bath towel with Frabreeze(?), wrap it inside for a couple days. Air helps also, point a fan at it for a few hours.

I had a 1911 blued, It had a scent to it when I got it back, Not urine but a scent that if I wanted to make myself think it was urine I possibly could ... The next time I pulled it out a month or so later the scent was gone ...

Any Vinegar based cleaner will take the Bluing completely off , I guess that is one way to see if that is the smell ...

The high society woman was standing next to a bum and could stand it no longer when she said "Sir you smell" The bum replied "Ma'am, I stink, you smell"

jj

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Winston Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.

I had an ex who kept show cats. We had cat piss all over the place. I've never found anything that would remove male cat spray. It's like varnish that's not soluble in either water based solvents or hydrocarbon (carb or brake cleaner) based solvents. If it's just urine you might get rid of it with a water based solvent or an enzyme cleaner (from the pet store). Good luck!

I was asked to remodel a home that had over twenty eight cats living in it. I walked in, got four feet inside the door and just turned around.
I have been remodeling for over thirty years, and never have I smelled anything like that house.
The nephew of the elderly aunt who lived there, begged me to remodel it, so he could put it up for sale.
He had four other contractors refuse to work on it. I doubled my usual rate, and even that was not enough.
Other than skunk, cat piss is one of the most persistent odors to remove. I just threw my clothes away at the end of the day, my wife refused to put them in her washer.

OK, read the rest of the thread and frankly, JP sounds pretty sure that there was no problem at the time the gun was sold.

Let me say this about that: I lived with a couple of cats in the house (never again) for a couple of years. Cats are smart, and they are sneaky and vindictive. They hold grudges, and the way they settle them is by using your stuff as a cat box. I had the finish on a shotgun ruined because a cat sneaked into my closet and pee'd on the lining of an open padded gun case. Later when I put a shotgun in that case for a few days, I didn't notice that it was damp or smelled, and it quickly corroded the surface of the receiver. When I pulled it out of the case a few days later the receiver was completely coated in rust. Another time I was rebuilding the engine in my Corvette and had the intake manifold off with just a large shop rag covering the top of the engine overnight. In the morning I found that our male cat had climbed up on top of the engine and pee'd in it. The urine ran clear down into the empty oil pan. I had to pull the engine and completely disassemble it, and start over. That cat sleeps with the fishes.

The cat was anti-gun.

I've handled guns that were lubed with automatic transmission fluid and they smelled a little like that.

I'd say spray down a bath towel with Frabreeze(?), wrap it inside for a couple days. Air helps also, point a fan at it for a few hours.

Cats piss on things to mark their turf. So cat must be pro-gun.;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top