JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went across the river to a place called A Hole In The Wall. I took about 1,000 9mm rounds, 2 Taurus G2c's which I recently purchased, and a Smith and Wesson SW9VE that my older brother gifted me. I have never fired any of them. The last time I even fired a gun was a couple of years ago on an outdoor range. Having recently aquired a concealed carry permit I thought it was time to start practicing and training for the unwelcome moment that I might have to defend my self or others. I probably fired about 200 rounds ( I know that's barely anything ), but all I really wanted to do on this first visit was to learn about the do's and dont's of an indoor range, and to familiarize myself with the guns. I took away a few things from the experience: 1- wear earplugs inside the earmuffs, 2 - wear a hat, 3 - I like bigger guns than smaller guns, 4- I was the worst shooter there, and 5 - I'm going to have to shoot the G2c more to get used to the trigger safety.

200 rounds may not be a lot but it certainly isn't "nothing." Good on you for making the effort to go, shoot multiple pistols and come away with some honest evaluation. Only gets better from there :D

Last time I went to an indoor range, I had just put a new scope on my .22 rifle.:)
The guy alongside of me had an AR and a years supply of ammunition which he intended to shoot up that day.:rolleyes:
I had on muffs and ear plugs, but everytime he would shoot it was like someone punched me in the solar plexus.:eek:
No more indoor ranges for me.:mad:

Last time I went to an indoor range, I had just put a new scope on my .22 rifle.:)
The guy alongside of me had an AR and a years supply of ammunition which he intended to shoot up that day.:rolleyes:
I had on muffs and ear plugs, but everytime he would shoot it was like someone punched me in the solar plexus.:eek:
No more indoor ranges for me.:mad:

That "like" is a sorta, nervous, agreement like. luckily, the indoor range I belong to doesn't allow any rifle over .22LR, and no magnum or supersonic, and no rifle caliber. I generally only shoot 5 at a time as i'm shooting for fun and groups. Having someone next to you with their Glock 30. I say 30, because it feels like they have 30 round mags, one right after the other, and sometimes must have five or six mags pre-loaded. :eek: And DEFINITELY, muffs and plugs are in order.

I put a hat on my list because the guy in the stall to my left was shooting something that was blowing the dust off everything up high, and the dust was coming down on my head.

I have no use for indoor ranges. That's what forest service or BLM land is for. :)

Well, I can go when there's a blizzard and be warm while I shoot. :p Ya Ya, I know. But burnin' powder at short range is better than not burnin' powder at all. Ifn' you've got the urge.

Good for you that you went. MANY shooters do not spend enough time. I too always wear a hat to keep hot brass from falling in my face. I years ago joined the range I use and it was the best thing I ever did. It got me going weekly instead of going months at a time. Got the Wife to go a lot more too having the membership. More practice is always a good thing.

Saying you don't like indoor ranges as a blanket statement is like saying you tried an Apache Pistol and therefore don't like handguns now.

I've been to several indoor and outdoor ranges and found one outdoor range, in particular, to be the most restrictive, where you are asked to leave (or are disqualified from competition) if your gun barrel points over the range berm.

I agree that the impact of muzzle brakes, for example, on your ears in an indoor range is annoying, but you have the choice of leaving or doubling up on your hearing protection. You can get the same annoying feeling at an outdoor range too.

Saying you don't like indoor ranges as a blanket statement is like saying you tried an Apache Pistol and therefore don't like handguns now.

I've been to several indoor and outdoor ranges and found one outdoor range, in particular, to be the most restrictive, where you are asked to leave (or are disqualified from competition) if your gun barrel points over the range berm.

I agree that the impact of muzzle brakes, for example, on your ears in an indoor range is annoying, but you have the choice of leaving or doubling up on your hearing protection. You can get the same annoying feeling at an outdoor range too.
Boy, you sure can. I was at the outdoor range I'm a member of and a guy with some AK breed as a HUGE tank brake was running through drums. It was bad enough I had to shut off my electronic ears and move alllll the way down as far away as I could get. Just kept blasting away, despite my less than subtle comments. Alas, the rage rules do not prohibit such things and I've had a mind to buy the the biggest rifle they allow with the biggest brake I can afford, just to bring out when jerks like that are around

I always take a.shooting hat while shooting both inside and outside. Shooting indoors I put earplugs in as well the then my shooting earmuffs. I always take some lead based soap but most of the indoor ranges I go to have lead soap already. I take small bottle just in case the range does not have. I put another hat on after my indoor or outdoor range trips.

BE1D733C-8F7C-4E13-9698-BDD8FCAD8104.png

TCGC No muzzle over the berm or you are D-Q. PIA but you do get use to it. Shot there last weekend 72 shooters showed up for match. :eek:
Never been D-Q not yet anyway? :confused: Largest gun club in the area. 600 yard range uses electronic scoring targets.:D
  • Action Range with 13 shooting bays (Certification required)
  • Archery Range
  • Black Powder/Rimfire/Silhouette Range
  • Conventional Pistol Range
  • General Purpose Range
  • Indoor .22 Rimfire Range
  • Short Distance Pistol Range
  • Shotgun Fields (Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays)
  • 200/300 Yard Range
  • 600 Yard Range (Scheduled events only
  • Tri-County Defensive Pistol League

I have no use for indoor ranges. That's what forest service or BLM land is for. :)
If it came to shooting at a indoor range or not shoot, i'd be home watching television.
I have no use for indoor ranges. Two of the local gin ranges sell guns. When you buy a gun there they give you a free indoor shooting pass.i gave about ten of them away. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot indoors.
I do all of my shooting up in the mountains and clean up my garbage along with other peoples garbage.
I will be checking in with our local Les Schwab and see if they will take junk.tires people throw out up in the woods. I haul regular garbage to a friends dumpster, the steel rifle & pistol cases go in the metal recycleing section at the local trash transfer station.

If indoor ranges do it for you have fun there, every one has different views of what & where to shoot.

I prefer shooting at my gun range which is an outdoor facility, that said I'll often use the indoor range 10 minutes from my office. Point is, get your time in wherever you can.

Growing up in the Illinois Valley we always walked out the back door and target practice consisted of shooting at squirrels and woodpeckers. Indoor and outdoor ranges are a different animal for me. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can see why some love one and hate the other. Looking back I wasn't really focusing on good or bad, I was just wanting to shoot my guns.:)

Growing up in the Illinois Valley we always walked out the back door and target practice consisted of shooting at squirrels and woodpeckers. Indoor and outdoor ranges are a different animal for me. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can see why some love one and hate the other. Looking back I wasn't really focusing on good or bad, I was just wanting to shoot my guns.:)

I VERY much miss the days of being able to walk behind the place and shoot. If I ever hit the lotto I will have a place like that again. Being as shooing in the outdoors is a hell of a drive any more I sadly don't do it often. Damn it would be nice to again be able to walk out with some coffee and a gun to plink again!!:D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top