JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I just picked up a Ruger LCR .38 in a trade, it's my first snub-nose revolver. Is there anything I should know before I take it to the range and start carrying it? I've carried various 9mm and .40 autos in the past, no problem there... what are the differences shooting and carrying a revolver?

Greg

First question does it have a laser sight? Most people find snub nosed revolvers difficult to shoot accurately. A laser helps a lot. Either way practice a lot! Choose ammo that your gun likes for accuracy but dosent make you flinch! There is a recent thread on this forum that discusses whether hot loads are beneficial in snubies, check it out. Also think about reloading the weapon. Enjoy your new gat!

They kick like no other, they're not fun to shoot, they're loud, you can see the concussion of the shot if you're standing behind the person shooting, don't stand next to a guy shooting one, DA trigger's take a lot to get used to, other than that, have fun!

Don't pull the trigger if the muzzle is not poking someone in the belly, little need to practice and never if loaded. Good defense guns for close up but called "belly gun" for a reason.

had a number of j frame guns and like the ruger, just to small to get any accuracy past 25 feet. I love them, just my hands and fingers are too damn big.

I actually really like the two snubs that I have, one a Smith 642 and the other a Charter Arms Undercover. They're both great pocket guns.

Like most guns, yours will undoubtedly prefer one ammo type/brand over another. You'll have to try out a bunch to figure out what is going to be the most accurate out of your particular short barrel.

Because of the size and weight of your snub, the trigger is going to be critical to accuracy. With SA and some DA/SA auto loaders the trigger is pressed, on a revolover it is stroked. Once you learn to properly stroke a revolver trigger you will be able to fire it just as fast as an auto loader. I think you actually have more control over your shot with a DA revolver trigger. But to the point, your trigger has to be smooth and you in control of it so as not to yank it and cause your small, light revolver to move off target.

There are those that will also tell you that snubs are not accurate past point blank range, not true. At 50' I can usually keep all five shots within a six inch circle which I would consider decent combat accuracy. Down at 20' the circle shrinks to a couple of inches. The key to shooting a small gun well is practice and then more practice. Start off by buying or loading some powder puff loads until you get used to the gun and then work yourself up to your carry loads.

Have fun with it and stay safe!

I have a LCR .357. Good but not to accurate it spray and pray after 15 yard. Have a very good kick if use +p ammo. Not bad gun at all and easy to CC and shoot. DO NOT USE LEAD BULLETS it will kill your gun

To the OP--Don't let the "wannabes" steer you away from the snubs. Having carried one for longer than I want to admit either as a back up, or CC, I can assure you that you can be just as efficient within that first 25 meters as your longer barreled cousins. This is not a target pistol. Your aim is to be able to consistently hit a 14" center mass area--thats all. Always be aware that your sight picture is obviously "short"--there fore your hold is almost always low. Learn to mentally adjust for that as you stroke the trigger, and it won't be long before you can confidently keep your shots in that center mass area. Do all your practicing with a lower recoil round in .38sp--and pay attention when you practice. I see so many people show up at the range, and burn up cylinder after cylinder, without a thought of what is actually taking place. Practice with the .38--carry with a good 125gr HJHP in .357. Good luck. Don't let my low post count steer ya off. I been doing this longer than most forums been in existence.
G

+1 on Swampcrawler's post. The only correction I may add, is that since you said you have a .38 and not a .357, take his advice on practicing with in a standard .38 sp. round, and then carry with a good 125 gr. .38+p round (Speer makes .38+p specifically for 2" revolvers). I too carried a .38 snubbie for many, many years as a back up and/or off-duty. I had to qualify annually with this weapon, on the same course of fire (and same standards of scoring) as my full-sized duty pistol - never had trouble keeping all rounds in the "5" zone from 10 yds. and in! Good luck! :s0155:

Thanks for all the replies! No laser yet, I want to shoot it before I make the commitment to a laser. I'm planning on going shooting Tuesday, going to shoot it a bit to see how I like it.

I may end up getting some reloading dies too.... I have some Sellier & Bellot ammo that came with the gun, is their brass worthy of reloading?

Thanks for all the replies! No laser yet, I want to shoot it before I make the commitment to a laser. I'm planning on going shooting Tuesday, going to shoot it a bit to see how I like it.

I may end up getting some reloading dies too.... I have some Sellier & Bellot ammo that came with the gun, is their brass worthy of reloading?

not a fan of their ammo, but the brass should be O.K.. If reloading try some midrange fully seated wadcutters. they make really neat holes in paper, remember that all the muzzle flash is just powder that is still burning and not doing you much good velocity wise.

How on earth would lead bullets damage his gun? I have fired thousands of lead bullets through various guns, including snubbies, with no ill effects. Lead is great and much cheaper than fmj and plated bullets.

Don't let these foolios tell you that a snubbie isn't accurate. The short sight radius combined with the double action trigger make it harder to shoot accurately, but the accuracy potential of a snubbie is much greater than a semi. Just ask Bob Munden:
Bob Munden -- Impossible 200 Yard Shot - YouTube

Dry fire the heck out of the gun to practice a steady trigger pull and getting used to the sites. I guess it's a good idea to start out shooting some standard power 115gr loads, especially in a light gun like the LCR. But I don't think you'll have much problem. I'm recoil sensitive and I'll shoot a .38 snub over a full size .40 any day as long as it has a fat set of rubber grips like the LCR.

Oh, and don't spin the cylinder and slam it shut like a movie star. It is hard on the gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top