JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a cute little Harrington & Richardson "Sidekick" Model 929, caliber 22. Nine shot cylinder, double action. The serial number prefix indicates this one was made in 1956, which I believe was the first year this model was sold. The barrel configurations changed over the years but this one has a dainty barrel. Back when this revolver was made, it was made the same way a Colt Python of the same era was made -- hand fit and finished. Big difference in price; this H&R sold for about $40 in 1956; the Python was introduced in 1955 and sold for $125. Obviously they were not competing in the same market. The Colt Official Police in .22 was about $70. All of these prices were back when money was worth a lot more and harder to get. The median annual income for men was $3,600 in 1956.

My cousin Rich turned 21 in 1957 and he wanted to buy a handgun right away. He bought a new Ruger .22 automatic, what we call a Mark now. I think he said it cost $37.50.

Anyway, the little H&R is in excellent condition. It has been fired, but appears not to have seen much use. There is no wear on the original finish. The action is smooth and in perfect time. The Franzite grips with the bogus marbled look at original for this gun; many such were made with this same design in the middle 1950's. Note the engine turning on the hammer.

After disposing of 75% of my guns a few years ago, lately I've been buying several more. The "assault" weapon ban in Wash. has convinced me that it isn't necessary for me to buy fancy guns to have fun with. This little H&R revolver only cost $275 and I'm sure that my grandson and I will get that much fun out of it. He and I have also taken up basic trap shooting using inexpensive shotguns. He got the knack of it right away.

P7170033.JPG

My reference to "toy revolver" has to do with previous experience. I'm more used to Smith & Wesson Model 10 and 15, which are heftier.

This is a cute little Harrington & Richardson "Sidekick" Model 929, caliber 22. Nine shot cylinder, double action. The serial number prefix indicates this one was made in 1956, which I believe was the first year this model was sold. The barrel configurations changed over the years but this one has a dainty barrel. Back when this revolver was made, it was made the same way a Colt Python of the same era was made -- hand fit and finished. Big difference in price; this H&R sold for about $40 in 1956; the Python was introduced in 1955 and sold for $125. Obviously they were not competing in the same market. The Colt Official Police in .22 was about $70. All of these prices were back when money was worth a lot more and harder to get. The median annual income for men was $3,600 in 1956.

My cousin Rich turned 21 in 1957 and he wanted to buy a handgun right away. He bought a new Ruger .22 automatic, what we call a Mark now. I think he said it cost $37.50.

Anyway, the little H&R is in excellent condition. It has been fired, but appears not to have seen much use. There is no wear on the original finish. The action is smooth and in perfect time. The Franzite grips with the bogus marbled look at original for this gun; many such were made with this same design in the middle 1950's. Note the engine turning on the hammer.

After disposing of 75% of my guns a few years ago, lately I've been buying several more. The "assault" weapon ban in Wash. has convinced me that it isn't necessary for me to buy fancy guns to have fun with. This little H&R revolver only cost $275 and I'm sure that my grandson and I will get that much fun out of it. He and I have also taken up basic trap shooting using inexpensive shotguns. He got the knack of it right away.

View attachment 1455114
Wow! How's it in full lock up, super tight I'm guessing. You got a gun that can never be worn out, the frame looks to be K-frame size but I can't tell for sure. The grips look like something from our modern era w/the pattern, are they micarta? I wouldn't be surprised if the were. I didn't see any holster wear on the bluing, maybe it lived it's life in a drawer or safe?

Wow! How's it in full lock up, super tight I'm guessing. You got a gun that can never be worn out, the frame looks to be K-frame size but I can't tell for sure. The grips look like something from our modern era w/the pattern, are they micarta? I wouldn't be surprised if the were. I didn't see any holster wear on the bluing, maybe it lived it's life in a drawer or safe?
If you zoom on on the grip towards the top you'll see "H&R" molded into the material. They're Frazite grips, aftermarket grips available from the 30's through the 60's.

I don't known if micarta was even a thing in the the 50's.

Here's an interesting read if you want to know more…

If you zoom on on the grip towards the top you'll see "H&R" molded into the material. They're Frazite grips, aftermarket grips available from the 30's through the 60's.

I don't known if micarta was even a thing in the the 50's.

Here's an interesting read if you want to know more…

I think micarta has been around since early 1900's mostly used for electric insulator's on power pole's . not for sure though. none the less great looking grip.

The grips look like something from our modern era w/the pattern, are they micarta?
Stomper answered most of that for you. H&R marked, surely Franzite was a supplier to the gun maker. I believe that pattern is called Agate Franzite.

When I was seriously collecting German pistols in the 1970's, there were examples of those that had inherently fragile factory grips. I think the Sauer 38H was one of them. Franzite was about the only source for replacements if you just needed grips and didn't care about or weren't able to afford pricey originals.

the frame looks to be K-frame size but I can't tell for sure.
I haven't held them up together, but I'm sure the H&R 922 is a bit smaller than the S&W K frame. The materials on the H&R are nowhere as thick as the S&W. This one, made in 1956, has a very slim barrel. But some time later, they increased the diameter of the bbl. but not the frame. Which resulted in two flats on the back of the barrel so it wouldn't overlap the frame on the sides. Which in my opinion is unsightly.

The little H&R can't really be held up in comparison to a Smith & Wesson. They weren't in the same price "point." About the same quality as an Iver-Johnson of comparable vintage. But miles higher in quality than an RG, Röhm, etc, etc. For example, that nice engine turning on the sides of the hammer.

This wasn't the bottom of the H&R product line at the time. They made a lesser model which didn't have a swing-out cylinder. They also made top of the line models, like the 999 and later the Ultra.

I didn't see any holster wear on the bluing, maybe it lived it's life in a drawer or safe?
As you noted, it doesn't have carry wear, not does it have wear on the cylinder which they sometimes get sliding back and forth in a drawer. I only know that the previous owner was a retired lawyer (even older than I am) and he was selling several guns. I've no idea how long he had it. Attorneys sometimes take items of property in return for services rendered; maybe he got it from a client some time ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top