JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah and in a struggle an auto can be pushed out of battery just sayin :)

We actually count on a derivative of that when disarming an attacker who is armed with a semi-auto. The defense is initiated by grabbing the slide/barrel (this is an oversimplification of the defense, please don't anyone tell me "It's not that easy"). If or when the pistol discharges, your grip keeps the action from cycling, thus rendering it useless as a firearm unless the action can be manually cycled.

Here is a YouTube video demonstrating it:
Same goes for a revolver. It doesn't take much to keep the cylinder from turning; however, if you lose your grip on a revolver, it is ready to fire immediately with no additional action required by the wielder.

Check out the self-defense thread on this forum here: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/off-topic/107195-self-defense-hand-hand.html

Last edited by a moderator:
In JKD the emphasis is mostly on getting the gun offline of our anatomy, disarming if possible, if not then we grapple high line (arms) and use the leverage to destroy lower anatomy (Low line) with a broken knee or shattered instep the gun is a lot easier to take away

In the process we pretty much try for the overhand grip on the slide, that being the best leverage. The other hand grasps the wrist for leverage

In JKD the emphsis is mostly on getting the gun offline of our anatomy, disarming if possible, if not then we grapple high line (arms) and use the leverage to destroy lower anatomy (Low line) with a broken knee or shattered instep the gun is a lot easier to take away

In the process we pretty much try for the overhand grip on the slide, that being the best leverage. The other hand grasps the wrist for leverage

I started a new thread here: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ge...211-firing-45-while-holding-slide-barrel.html

I'll post a little more detail on the technique.

With different size and weight pistols as a basis for comparison (semis and wheel guns) I find the snub is my easiest one to conceal.

With that said, it also has very different shooting characteristics. The obvious tradeoffs are an extremely short sight radius and heavy double action trigger pull (good for a pocket gun). It's also extremely loud, it requires more attention to stabilize after recoil, and there is less grip to hang onto.

It's not remotely my favorite pistol to shoot, but I train with it for its intended purpose: Grab and point quickly to shoot rapidly at close range and make a reasonably tight group of holes with both eyes open.

I hope I never NEED to shoot it. But I advise those who carry a small/tiny pistol for the same reasons to practice regularly and become proficient with the different performance. Be safe and have fun!

I said the gun can be pushed out of battery because I have done it in real life, no formal training just sort of happend and I knew what to do It saved my life! Now I think trainning and practice are a must .. I box(mma gym) and train with my guns alot

I carried a 640 Centennial .38 for 5 years. Sunbbies are not the best choice for a novice, for the above stated reasons, mastering a double action trigger with short sight radius and usually tiny poor sights does not make for easy mastery. It can be done but a lot of people without much training or experience are told to get one by well meaning gun store owners and that is probably bad advice for most people. Unless you invest your time, ammo and training I would recommend a good simple striker fired semi auto with good sights. Revolvers are also more work to clean after a trip to the range. If you pocket carry be aware you can gum things up with lint. Semi autos are not the only guns that can jam, but they sure are easier to clear and get back into action if they stop working. That being said if you take the time and effort to get good and take care of them They can be an awesome option for the serious shooter.

Only one piece of advice:

When you shoot and you miss it's not the gun it's you. The snubbie is just as functional, tough, accurate as anything else out there, but it takes a LOT more skill on the part of the shooter.

Belly Gun reads to me like an excuse for not being able to shoot DA.

I think rcmccsman has the right of it here. A snubbie can do the job, but it's not a good choice some one just starting out. I do feel that CT grips increase its utility a bunch, but I still plan to keep practicing with the miniscule sights too.

I think rcmccsman has the right of it here. A snubbie can do the job, but it's not a good choice some one just starting out. I do feel that CT grips increase its utility a bunch, but I still plan to keep practicing with the miniscule sights too.

Most of the time we are talking close range when self defense is involved.
Sure if you are planning to shoot at someone taking cover point of aim is important. I do believe it to be secondary and should take a back seat to, Arms length live or die stuff. Pratice- Trigger pull on the double action within five feet of the target. Pointing the gun and hitting the target without using the sights at five feet, then eight or ten feet. Once you get that down move on to distance or target shooting.
Silver Hand

Watch a bunch of old Dragnet episodes...

Dragnet_gun.jpg

Dragnet_gun.jpg

While I agree that having a Crimson Trace laser on a snubbie could be worth its weight in gold especially in a low light stressful encounter with tiny sights, please also remember that learning to smoothly pull the long double action trigger using surprise trigger break, without jerking the trigger is important too. With only 5 shots you have to make them count. You could have the laser lined up perfectly and then pull yourself off the target with a jerky trigger pull. A laser could also be an excellent training tool during dry fire practice because it will show you exactly how unsteady you really are. If you see the laser moving off target when you stroke the trigger, then you know you have work to do. Mastering the double action trigger was one of my favorite shooting disciplines. Start slowly and work on smoothness once you can do it smoothly then go a little faster, but only go as fast as you can do it smoothly. Eventually you will be really fast if you put in the work. Remember smooth is fast and fast is smooth. :s0155:

Any gun can fail, all specifics aside.. what will you do then if you have no real world hand to hand training and experience?

Better asked well in advance of needing it

Wise choice. Most street defense shooting occur (I believe) less than 10' away therefore a DA-only is fast and simple to use. Buy and read Grant Cunningham's book 'The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver'. Go to his website and read everything relevant that you find there.

BTW, do not hold a revolver like a pistol or you might burn your fingers (or worse!) if you place them in front of the cylinder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top