JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
you obviously dont know me. at 56 yrs of age, i am not one to stoop to lies. i was appalled which is why i posted it.

As you can see, it was a mistype, which I could believe. (Being aquainted with Mr Link, as in we've talked before). You're right, I don't know you but knowing there are people that might lie to show themselves in a better light- obviously not you.

If I had received that PM, I might be inclined to show it if I did not know Mr Link. If you believed that was his intent in the PM, I could see being upset about it though.

Also, I can sympathize about the posts. I too have been reigned in for what I considered jokes. It happens... I have a somewhat dark sense of humor which BKMDNO can attest to. What I find funny makes some of my friends shift uncomfortably in their chair. :D

for what its worth.... when I first saw your thread, I looked over your previous posts and did not really find anything over the top and it seems you contribute to 'the cause.' I think it would be too bad if you felt you needed to leave because of this. :(

But in my mind, its not as much as a freedom of speech thing, then as it is a image and maturity subject. In this country, you have every right to run down the street yelling whatever crazy things you want, or to have flatulence in a crowded elevator, or even better yet, walk around in a giant hotdog costume. But most people don't, because they have respect for their self-image and like to express a level a maturity.

I'm not trying to say that any member on here has a bad image or is immature, but that its best to have a code of conduct that you would in real life around a bunch of strangers. To bring this to the subject matter of the original thread. Would you joke about selling guns to junkies in public, such as on the subway? Or since this is a "firearms" related public, would you joke about it at a gun show or range with strangers? Maybe some people would, but it usually has the chance of invoking a negative response from some people, and that is what we are trying to prevent here.

There are plenty of ways to have fun and humor here, but they just have to be done in more mature ways

physics guy,

i will try to be funny in a mature and child like fashion. i put away my hotdog outfit and only flatuate on the escalator. with all due respect, your logic eludes me as it applies to this situation. you need to get out more. lighten up son. i didnt kill bambi or vote obama. it was a very small joke hardly worth all this fuss. a passer by would have to read 10+ posts before reading my lil snippit and by then they would be able to get a sense of what is what. seriously, would you base your whole opinion of a website by less than 1% of its content if you liked everything else?

anyone who knows me, i am without a doubt, one of the strongest 2nd amendment supporters out there. my car has a minimum of 3 nra or other gun related stickers on it. i am full aware of "image" and the consequences of same.

the original post has implications that we might be selling to anyone in any parking lot, does it not? does that in itself not create image issues? they already think we sell illegally at gun shows.

there are a few people here that know me and know that I WOULD say those things to strangers. If someone cant see that what i said was in jest, than THEY have serious issues. come on now, does anyone here REALLY THINK that was for real??? seriously, while it makes for great forum drama, it is a lot to do over nothing. i guess thats my whole point. i am however, very well aware of the rules now and will abide.

I'm happy we were all able to clear this up, and I look forward to seeing your future involvement with NWFA :s0155:

I'm generally an R-rated kind of guy, but when I'm here, I know I'm in a PG-13 kind of world. I don't mind that because I have other places to indulge the non PG-13 side of me.

Well stated. The only thing I would revise is the "rating" of this site. Per Mr. Link this site is G-PG "rated" in his mind. While I personally think, considering the main subject of this site is firearms, a "rating" of PG-PG13 would be more appropriate, it's not MY site.

That being said, G-PG it is and I will play within those constraints (even if it means my more witty comebacks will have to go unused). :p

When you walk in to anybody's house, you are expected to follow their rules on decorum. Pretty simple, to my thinking. Then again, I'm just an old phart and was raised under rules. :D

Pops

...........We have to be very careful with "satire" and "sarcasm." This is a pro-gun-freedom site, but you can be sure that it is monitored :s0131: by anti-gun groups who are looking for sensational posts to QUOTE FROM in their propaganda. After they take a quote "out of context" it is way too late to stop it from reproducing and migrating. You can shout, "Hey, I was just kidding!," but nobody will ever hear your protest......................elsullo :cool:

well, i posted in the "who would you sell to" with a little joke about only selling to confirmed people who abuse substances. i got a warning that i was not allowing to be use those words (starts with j but rhymes with hunk + e) and not to post any more humor like that as it is not that kind of site.?????

guess i wont become a paying mmember here. any site that censors simple satire without profanity is not a place of freedom. most firearms owners respect and even demand freedom where they can which is why we steer clear of the liberal anti-gun sites.

As much as a nw guns website is a good idea, not at the cost of giving up my rights to attempt humor in an otherwise humorless environment. God help us if we cant laugh once in while without being scorned or "warned" our comments are not acceptable.

seriously, lighten up!

i hope this post doesn't dissappear like hillary's legal records.

I guess I am not the only one lol. I posted a joke about selling to J**kies and got a warning which i didn't think was swearing and it was plainly a joke. I love this site but to whoever gave the warning come on? I didn't know we had to be 100% serious, its stuff like this that stops me from being a paying member and makes me only post, why pay if I can get kicked off for a joke:(

I think everyone is way too worried about what other people think about them and their "image" on this site, but I will respect this site and its rules.

That being said: I started my own site, but have yet to deploy the code. It's a site where you can say or do anything you want unless it is illegal to do so. How about that for free speech and opinions?

The main reason why any site will censor what its members (not the site owner/manager..mind you) says is due to them not wanting to lose money from sponsors and/or alienate certain people they feel they can use to support their cause.

Image is everything if you want to do anything more than sit around the internet and talk guns. I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again. Even if you had a 100% pro gun congressperson, governor, etc., someone who was instrumental in furthering your cause, and you ran a site where everyone can say or do as they please, I'd bet money they'd take one look at it and write you and that whole group off. Fact of the matter is nobody wants to be associated with anything remotely controversial or something that has even a small chance of making them look bad if they're found to be in association. If your goal is to provide a place to exercise free speech, then no rules will be just fine. My goal with this site is to defend and expand our firearm rights here in the Northwest.

When I first started this site it was a do-whatever-you-want type of site. I can't tell you how quickly it started to go down hill. I had to do some deep thinking and finally, apply the brakes (institute rules) to stop the slide down that slippery slope. I re-evaluated what the purpose of this site was, and realized we could never reach our goals or carry out our mission statement without building a solid image. I knew many people wouldn't like that, and that's OK. I've come to terms with the fact that this site isn't for everyone.

Gun owners, as well as myself, are a freedom loving bunch. I can't tell you how many times I've heard about 'free speech' and 'freedom' after I've edited someones post. The thing is, when people come on here and say and act however they want, I as the owner have the freedom to kick them off, just like I would if they came into my house and acted in a way I didn't like. On the other side of the coin, they have the freedom to choose whether to visit this site or not, just like they have the freedom to choose whether to visit my home or not. People talk about freedom this and freedom that, but often only think about their freedoms and not the freedoms of the other guys.

As any one of the members here who knows me well will testify, the rules have absolutely nothing to do with the sponsors, as this site was not created to make money. I have to agree, I don't want to alienate people who support our cause. If they agree with me, how is that using them, if it's their agenda as well? I think the proper way of putting it is we don't want to 'repel our allies'.

Personally, I think the goals of this community are awesome! I typically have a pretty bad mouth, make not so appropriate jokes, etc.. but it's nice to have a site to go to where I might actually get some quality information and make a difference in the long run. Other forums you have to read through so much garbage to get to anything you want! Yeah, something might make me laugh, but I think the atmosphere on NWFA is much nicer.
I guess I'm just saying there's room for both in my web-browsing. Personally, I know I visit more than one forum a day. Why not make your other forums the ones you joke around in and such things, then make this one the one you read to learn, buy/sell/trade, and make a positive difference in the firearm community. :s0155:

I think what I don't fully understand is that if the swear filter is on then does it really matter? How is it different than TV when it gets bleeped? My first infraction was swearing, i read the rules accidently swore saw it ***ed out and figured it was ok. And the second time I was watching myself and said a joke that I thought to be ok. Maybe I am missing something from the rules but it seems like without a solid list of what not to say, and junkie was something it seemed many of did not expect to be that terrible its hard to get punished for something when you feel no wrong was done. I like this site, I like the people and most importantly I like what NWF stands for(even as a democrat lol) but a little lenancy or warnings instead of points toward a ban sometimes? Like I said in my last post I was just about ready to donate and then a few days before I had money i got more points for what I thought was an OK joke.
Maybe there can be a happy medium or some way to refute a post or if the post gets deleted and you apologize it doesn't count against you? I don't know just throwing ideas out cause I guess I don't realize what a little joke can do to get me banned and I want to stay at this site.

Maybe use this as a general guideline: if you were to say it to a 6 year old little girl that would go home and repeat those words (in whatever way she "thought" she remembered them) to her mommy and mommy wouldn't get upset, it's probably appropriate. Because that's personally how I view the media. They are little children that repeat everything however they see fit. Also, Joey is right: For example if a politician were to want to support this website's opinions and take it seriously, they obviously wouldn't want anything inappropriate to be said for the media to research and misconstrue. If they found -anything- that could be quoted in a negative way toward the politician, he/she wouldn't even bother giving this website another thought.
Again, this is just kinda the guideline that I use for myself. Maybe a help for someone else, also?

most of us here and the owner of the site are strong supporters of the constitution and the freedoms it brings. while this is a private forum and i will respect the rules, i find it ironic that a supporter of the second amendment does not hold the first amendment as close to his heart.

most of us here and the owner of the site are strong supporters of the constitution and the freedoms it brings. while this is a private forum and i will respect the rules, i find it ironic that a supporter of the second amendment does not hold the first amendment as close to his heart.

Unless someone can show me how the first amendment obliges the provider of a privately-owned service to allow any type of speech through that service, I fail to see the link between expected behavior on this forum and the first amendment.

Until NWFA is determined to be a public resource akin to a town square and if there are things I want to say that don't conform to the goals and environment expected in NWFA, I can go to another forum, go to Speakers Corner, start my own web site, or say what I will on the street.

I guess that is the part that I struggled with at first, probably from the tendency of everyone to think of the "internet" as a big free speech free-for-all.

But when I took a moment to stop and think about the fact that this site itself is a PRIVATE entity owned by a private person who has very specific goals for the site and they have been spelled out clearly in the rules I can understand and even agree with the reasons for keeping this forum "clean".

The onus is then on the viewers/readers/etc. to decide whether or not they want to become "members" and abide by the rules or not. If not... there are plenty of other forums out there.

Ultimately if you are a supporter of the second amendment, feel like there is value to the content of the site, and want to contribute (within the rules) you are more than welcome here, whether you want to support the site with green rectangles or not.

Hopefully, whether someone browses this site and takes offence to some particular comment or not, the fact that the owner and mods here are taking great pains to make the place "respectable" to those with sensitive ears will keep this site from being disregarded as just "another gun-nut site".

I've visited sites where "anything goes". They become a haven for trolls who believe the exercise of free speech is an all-inclusive right meant to protect everything. It's not. Just like the Second Amendment, the First is to be used responsibly. To think that careless, inflammatory, or abusive speech is protected is tantamount to believing the 2A protects the right to walk into a courtroom with a loaded pistol in your hand, waving it around and pointing it at people.

Being irresponsible is not a protected right.

In most instances careless inflammatory and abusive speech is protected regularly in court. You see this demonstrated on TV every day. Watch someone bring a defamation suit sometime and see how far they get.

The crucial difference here is that this is not a public place. It is essentially a private publication, and as such the owner/editors retain the right to control its content.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top