JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
well, i posted in the "who would you sell to" with a little joke about only selling to confirmed people who abuse substances. i got a warning that i was not allowing to be use those words (starts with j but rhymes with hunk + e) and not to post any more humor like that as it is not that kind of site.?????

guess i wont become a paying mmember here. any site that censors simple satire without profanity is not a place of freedom. most firearms owners respect and even demand freedom where they can which is why we steer clear of the liberal anti-gun sites.

As much as a nw guns website is a good idea, not at the cost of giving up my rights to attempt humor in an otherwise humorless environment. God help us if we cant laugh once in while without being scorned or "warned" our comments are not acceptable.

seriously, lighten up!

i hope this post doesn't dissappear like hillary's legal records.

While I love the site, I am a little discouraged about the lack of humor and satire on this site... It's sometimes like walking on eggshells. You raise some good points.

It seems that political correctness has gotten in the way of free speech. One doesn't know what he can write anymore without censorship. The founding fathers must be rolling in thier graves. Always thought"sticks and stones can break your bones, but words will can never hurt you". :)

Sounding like a national guard brigade, all the whining! :s0114:

I haven't had any problems with the admins, is about all I can say, I think the positive stuff on this forum makes it worth being a bit more careful than on the usual gun forums, which tend to be a LOT more offensive/aggressive and just plain mean-spirited than this one.

So I'm sorry you found this experience offputting and good luck in the future! No hard feelings.

Well, I can understand how you feel (I did get my favorite ASU pic edited out of a post :s0131:), but then again Joey is trying very hard to make this a family friendly place where everybody feels welcome. Kinda reminds me of one of my old favorite boards where the owner's litmus test was that "the board had to be clean enough for his granddaughters to be on." I think that's a great idea here as there are plenty of other sites around who are not like what Joey has here.

Hey probasco,

What you were warned for was not using the word junkie but rather the context in which it was used. If you've read the rules (I hope you have) and/or any of my long-winded stickies explaining NWFA, our purpose, and why we are the way we are, you'll understand the need to maintain our image. Although you were joking, saying you sold guns to people who abuse drugs is very distasteful. If I were a person who was considering becoming a member here and read just that post, there's no way I'd want to be associated with the site or anyone on it. The people who have the ability to help us preserve and expand our gun rights aren't going to find that sort of content humorous, may find it offensive, and either way won't want to associate with NWFA. If we were to allow unbridled freedom here the site would go downhill at a rate that would make your headspin. I know this because we tried it when we were first starting out.

I built this site for a very specific reason, and it's the job of myself and the other mods to see that the goals setforth are accomplished. I understand we're much more 'restrictive' than many other sites, and I believe we have a valid reason for that. I myself frequent other gun sites that aren't so restrictive, and find they're a great 'companion' to this site which is much more serious and goal oriented. If I were you, that's what I'd do as well :s0155:

I hear what you're saying, probasco.

Here's how I look at it. We're social animals as a species. We congregate in communities and every community has rules. The internet can make drawing and enforcing the lines of those rules difficult as well as makes hard to develop sustained communities.

I'm generally an R-rated kind of guy, but when I'm here, I know I'm in a PG-13 kind of world. I don't mind that because I have other places to indulge the non PG-13 side of me. The folks here seem to have a mission and work hard to abide by that mission. It makes it doubly more difficult because this site isn't sequestered--it allows anyone to join within the constraints of the rules and, more importantly, it allows anyone to anonymously read the content.

Allowing anyone to browse also means that search engines are likely indexing the site. For fun, I did a Google search on "sell guns to <word that rhymes with funkies> NWFA". It's no surprise what came up number 1 in relevance, and that query also probably returns pretty high in the recordset when one removes NWFA.

Now, that's certainly not R-rated content, but it shows the difficulty of balancing a community given the tension between openness and the goals of the community. As for me, I know I'll slip some times. When I do I expect my post to be removed for the good of the community and its message and expect also to be gently notified of my transgression. I'll try to politely express discontent if I feel wronged and then move on to other issues. If the forum stops working for me, I'll move on someplace else. It still works for me though--I wouldn't have joined as a member if it didn't. :)

Last Edited:
Well I guess I will comment since I've been around here since the beginning.

This site has gone through many transitions, there was once a time where there was no rules or infraction system, but the quality of posts got fairly bad, and to any newcomer or visitor, the forums looked like a bunch of random conversations and jokes.

So there were rules made up to clean up everything and set standards for the site, and Joey has every right to make these, he spends a majority of his free time working to improve this place and keep everything together.

But in my mind, its not as much as a freedom of speech thing, then as it is a image and maturity subject. In this country, you have every right to run down the street yelling whatever crazy things you want, or to have flatulence in a crowded elevator, or even better yet, walk around in a giant hotdog costume. But most people don't, because they have respect for their self-image and like to express a level a maturity.

I'm not trying to say that any member on here has a bad image or is immature, but that its best to have a code of conduct that you would in real life around a bunch of strangers. To bring this to the subject matter of the original thread. Would you joke about selling guns to junkies in public, such as on the subway? Or since this is a "firearms" related public, would you joke about it at a gun show or range with strangers? Maybe some people would, but it usually has the chance of invoking a negative response from some people, and that is what we are trying to prevent here.

There are plenty of ways to have fun and humor here, but they just have to be done in more mature ways than other places, since firearms "groups" are a sensitive subject to most of the public. And I hope that you find a place here probasco, don't give up on just one little bump!

As firearms forums go, one must understand that this and all forums are privately owned. Which in a sense, is like the owner inviting you into their home.

You wouldn't go into their home and talk foul, unless you were invited to do so, or been given the impression that it's ok to act that way.

So no, freedom of speech does not work here....or on any other forum. You talk a certain way to members on other forums, I really think you'll be taken to task there as well.

Folks are not only being persecuted, so to speak just for owning firearms, but what they do with them, how they act, and talk.

We don't need any more bad publicity than we are already getting.

Photo's of people shooting objects off bayonets, when the rounds are landing who knows where, fingers on triggers, wanting the biggest scariest firearm, and where can I get one etc., doesn't paint us in a very good light.

That type of mentality gets us no where, as firearms owners. As sad as it may be, we all need to be a bit on the politician side to make sure our rights are being preserved.

"...most firearms owners respect and even demand freedom where they can which is why we steer clear of the liberal anti-gun sites."

Freedom is a good thing, but must be done with respect. And one can't change the minds of any "Liberal" if you don't occasionally rub shoulders with them, to let them know we are upstanding firearms owning people, and are respectful of others.

We need to act mature if anyone is ever going to want to listen to our wants, needs, and rights as firearms owners.

I understand where you are coming from, but dont feel singled out. I have also had a few of my posts edited when I first arrived here, and I know Joey! It wasnt until I actually read the forum rules that I understood what this site represents, and the oppurtunity we all have here.

Think about it, guns are not a popular subject in America. The general population doesnt know anymore about guns then what the media feeds them, and thats a pretty scary image. I like to think that this site represents all gun owners, and if we are to change peoples perspective, we have to be careful about the type of humor that we bring. Remember, on paper its much harder to tell if someone is being serious or joking, but furthermore, even if it is obvious that we are joking, we still have to be concerned about the content.

A big portion of gun laws are passed by the state, so this website really brings the Northwest together. When the next laws are trying to be passed on gun control (and believe me, they are coming), we can organize and fight it. And if we are to have anyone listen, like a politician curious about the thousands of letters and e-mails he is receiving from a certain website, the content must be in our best interests to represent who we really are and what we stand for.

Think not what this board can do for you, but what you can do for this board! :D

WELL, AFTER MUCH THOUGHT, I LOOKED AT THE PREMISE OF THE THREAD and i notice the poll stated "anyone who shows up" as an option of who to sell to. what would the people say who show up here and read that? i guess i got off on the wrong foot here, the boss wnats me gone for all the terrible things i have done here. his pm leaves little guessing

Hey probasco,

I hope we lose you as a member.

Cheers,
Joey

WELL, AFTER MUCH THOUGHT, I LOOKED AT THE PREMISE OF THE THREAD and i notice the poll stated "anyone who shows up" as an option of who to sell to. what would the people say who show up here and read that? i guess i got off on the wrong foot here, the boss wnats me gone for all the terrible things i have done here. his pm leaves little guessing

Hey probasco,

Cheers,
Joey

It IS VERY BAD FORM TO POST PM's from anyone.

There is a reason it is called a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

My thoughts anyway.

:s0155:

Hey probasco,

Cheers,
Joey

Oh no! I just checked my Sent box and I did, in fact, say that. However, what I meant to say is "I hope we don't lose you as a member". I'm going to blame this one on Jenny for distracting me while I was typing. I apologize, and I hope you stick around :eek:

Oh no! I just checked my Sent box and I did, in fact, say that. However, what I meant to say is "I hope we don't lose you as a member". I'm going to blame this one on Jenny for distracting me while I was typing. I apologize, and I hope you stick around :eek:

i will take you at your word, apology accepted.

i will take you at your word, apology accepted.

Thank you :s0155:

you obviously dont know me. at 56 yrs of age, i am not one to stoop to lies. i was appalled which is why i posted it.

Yeah I think the reason BUZO said that is because most of the people here know I'd never say something like that on purpose :s0114:

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads