JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No a muzzleloader is not considered a firearm by the feds or the state.
They can be shipped and across state lines without any hassles.

BTW I have one I wouldn't mind selling along with all the goodies you will need to shoot a muzzleloader. (I have an extra. as I upgraded to one I could shoot left handed last year.)

thanks evrybody i have a famiily member who can only bow hunt and i mentiond muzzel loader to him. he never considered muzzle loader before. maybe he will now. i have a Hawken that i inherited but have never shot. i have used a borrowed smokepole on one hunt. but never shot anything but targets.

thanks evrybody i have a famiily member who can only bow hunt and i mentiond muzzel loader to him. he never considered muzzle loader before. maybe he will now. i have a Hawken that i inherited but have never shot. i have used a borrowed smokepole on one hunt. but never shot anything but targets.
Just make sure you check the state hunting guides. Depending on why a person is firearm restricted can make a difference about whether they can use a muzzleloader or not. For WA state firearm restricted are limited to Archery hunting only. So double check that all i are dotted and t's crossed.

No a muzzleloader is not considered a firearm by the feds or the state.
They can be shipped and across state lines without any hassles.

BTW I have one I wouldn't mind selling along with all the goodies you will need to shoot a muzzleloader. (I have an extra. as I upgraded to one I could shoot left handed last year.)
I believe, don't quote me on this, that even though it is a muzzle loader, an individual barred from possessing a normal firearm is also prohibited from possessing muzzle loaders

Trust but verify.

I believe, don't quote me on this, that even though it is a muzzle loader, an individual barred from possessing a normal firearm is also prohibited from possessing muzzle loaders

Trust but verify.
And that is because int he definitions they talk about a propellant used to launch a projectile as the restriction. Hence muzzleloaders can also be restricted. I know that is the case in the hunting regs in Washington and in its legal text for firearms restricted individuals.

And that is because int he definitions they talk about a propellant used to launch a projectile as the restriction. Hence muzzleloaders can also be restricted. I know that is the case in the hunting regs in Washington and in its legal text for firearms restricted individuals.
I just wanted op to be aware that if the goal is for a prohibited person, it might not be legal.

OK after thinking on this i concluded that the person i am talking about had a violent juvenile record and a history of mental health treatment, so best not to encourage his firearm possession. or better yet not hunt with him at all.

Trust but verify.
By state law, yes they are. Almost all if not all states do not define "firearm" the way Feds do. I have had this conversation untold times with people who "believed" they could carry a BP gun with out considering the state laws. I would try to explain to them that just because you can order it by mail does NOT mean the state you live in does not consider it a firearm.

OK after thinking on this i concluded that the person i am talking about had a violent juvenile record and a history of mental health treatment, so best not to encourage his firearm possession. or better yet not hunt with him at all.
I had a guy that worked for my company for a period. I knew he couldn't get base access due to some criminal history that he had. We were talking guns once, and he wanted a BP. I told him he probably can't legally own one.

I had a guy that worked for my company for a period. I knew he couldn't get base access due to some criminal history that he had. We were talking guns once, and he wanted a BP. I told him he probably can't legally own one.
If its a State conviction he could "probably" get it expunged fairly easily as long as he is past the parole time. From what I have seen of people doing this the state conviction is normally easy and cheap to get expunged after you show you are not scum for a few years. In WA even the PCP rifle I bought to possibly take out the wild K9's here is a firearm by WA state law. So even though I bought it off Amazon I have to guess they could charge someone with having it if they had a record here. I have known several who wanted to work security who had to do this. They had to get state convictions expunged to get the OK and get the license. Its been a good while but it was easy to do so probably still is. From what I have seen getting the Feds to clear a record can be a challenge to say the least.

If its a State conviction he could "probably" get it expunged fairly easily as long as he is past the parole time. From what I have seen of people doing this the state conviction is normally easy and cheap to get expunged after you show you are not scum for a few years. In WA even the PCP rifle I bought to possibly take out the wild K9's here is a firearm by WA state law. So even though I bought it off Amazon I have to guess they could charge someone with having it if they had a record here. I have known several who wanted to work security who had to do this. They had to get state convictions expunged to get the OK and get the license. Its been a good while but it was easy to do so probably still is. From what I have seen getting the Feds to clear a record can be a challenge to say the least.
He was supposedly in the process of getting out expunged, but I know it was there because he couldn't get base access.

He was supposedly in the process of getting out expunged, but I know it was there because he couldn't get base access.
Base access is Federal so not sure how that works. I know someone who has a State conviction can get it removed and get things like a license for security but still can't buy a gun from an FFL. So have to "guess" the base access database would be the same kind of thing. NOT a lawyer of course so no idea exactly how this works. Only know what I saw a few others doing and that was just to get clearance to get the license they needed to work security. The ones who did this would I have to guess NOT be able to work armed security since they still could not walk into a gun shop and buy a gun. Like so many of these laws its a huge FUBAR which does nothing. Since the real scum of course do not care and can have all the guns they want. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top