JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am starting to buy some reloading stuff. Have some great members here that are helping me get set up with the proper equipment and the know how.

My question to all of you that reload is this.

What books are a must for reloading. How to and anything else. I need all the help in the world to get going and a good read on my upcoming vacation might be a good way to start.

Go buy any load manual. Actually read the first 100-200 pages. This section literally will give you a lot of info, after that it's all calibers and recipes.

Hit me up anytime you have a question.

Yeah a reloading manual is pretty much my only book, I have three.(two from Hornady and one from sierra) And you don't really even need that with the internet and it's wealth of information.

If you really wanna get nerdy I spent several hours in a piece of software called quickload by neconos. It graphs out chamber pressures and stuff, pretty fun... I need to update my copy but it's spendy software.

Go buy any load manual. Actually read the first 100-200 pages. This section literally will give you a lot of info, after that it's all calibers and recipes.

Agreed, any manual is a good start. Several are optimal for cross checking and validation of loads from different sources. I have Sierra, RCBD, Lee and Lyman manuals as well as published load manuals from Alliant Powders (my preferred brand).

In addition, Lee dies come with basic load recipes, handloads.com is an interactive library of loads by caliber, bullet weight and powder...

Lots of resources available here. I don't know everything, but am willing to answer questions and share what knowledge I do have. In nearly 30 years have never had a squib or a double charge, so I got a pretty good safety record, so far...

I got the newest edition of the layman manual if you want to borrow it but it is the size of an old school phone book;).

Honestly I'd go the Internet route so you don't have to pack around a big book. Lots of stuff on YouTube from beginner to expert stuff.

I'd like to also recommend "Handbook of Reloading Basics" by Robin Sharpless and Rick Sapp https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Reloading-Basics-Robin-Sharpless/dp/1440241325 as it presents clear insights and knowledge into the basic concepts, equipment, and components involved in the process. It also provides the rudimentary science involved in the processes the components utilize to get the bullet out of the muzzle. And I prefer the Speer and Sierra manuals over the Lyman because, in my own personal opinion, the data has been edited to overly reduce the risk of any possible litigation. The powder charges in their recipes, for example. are relatively quite a bit less than other manuals have published. So my own copy sits on my book shelf, rarely used.

Add me to the list of us willing to help.

You're not expecting to save money, are you?:D

I'd like to also recommend "Handbook of Reloading Basics" by Robin Sharpless and Rick Sapp https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Reloading-Basics-Robin-Sharpless/dp/1440241325 as it presents clear insights and knowledge into the basic concepts, equipment, and components involved in the process. It also provides the rudimentary science involved in the processes the components utilize to get the bullet out of the muzzle. And I prefer the Speer and Sierra manuals over the Lyman because, in my own personal opinion, the data has been edited to overly reduce the risk of any possible litigation. The powder charges in their recipes, for example. are relatively quite a bit less than other manuals have published. So my own copy sits on my book shelf, rarely used.

He shoots so much match .308 he will at least break even and get to shoot more:D

Agreed, any manual is a good start. Several are optimal for cross checking and validation of loads from different sources. I have Sierra, RCBD, Lee and Lyman manuals as well as published load manuals from Alliant Powders (my preferred brand).

In addition, Lee dies come with basic load recipes, handloads.com is an interactive library of loads by caliber, bullet weight and powder...

Lots of resources available here. I don't know everything, but am willing to answer questions and share what knowledge I do have. In nearly 30 years have never had a squib or a double charge, so I got a pretty good safety record, so far...

I appreciate everyone's offer to help I will definitely need it. As I get started I will come back to this thread. The last thing I want to do is blow myself up. :p:D

I am hoping to have all the equipment by December. Getting ready to leave on vacation with the family has put a dent in my pocket book.

The ABCs of reloading is a great one for beginners.

When you want to jump to precision rifle, there are other options out there.

I'd suggest buying different load manuals from different bullet manufactures. If you like loading Nosler partitions, for example, buy a Nosler manual. I have load manuals for every bullet manufacture I load for. Read through the how to sections and they will walk you through all the steps. Hopefully you will learn easy methods for finding oal and proper die set-up.

The last thing I want to do is blow myself up. :p:D

Well, you ARE making tiny bombs in the comfort of your own home... What could go wrong???

Important safety hints:

1. No drinking and loading
2. No smoking anywhere near the loading bench while loading
3. Put powder can away before starting (I keep all my powder in a steel cabinet)
4. Empty any unused powder back into the can it came out of
5. No distractions, wife, kids, tv, etc (this is your meditation time to get away)

The ABCs of reloading is a great one for beginners.

When you want to jump to precision rifle, there are other options out there.

This the one I would get, every basic manual will give you the same procedural info, they all just have different data for different manufacturers bullets or powder. Just get a couple from whatever bullets you use. If you get more specialized, like precision reloading, black powder, or even certain guns there are specific books. The web is also a great help there, tons of info free for the taking.

OK so from what I am reading. You guys all say buy the book for specific bullet manufacturers. Am I correct? If 308 is where I would like to start so what manufacturers do you guys like or recommend?

OK so from what I am reading. You guys all say buy the book for specific bullet manufacturers. Am I correct? If 308 is where I would like to start so what manufacturers do you guys like or recommend?

Sierra is what I use, 175 SMKs. Berger is also good but spendy. The hornady ELD line is also excellent.

:)
Hornady
Speer
Lee
Etc

Always good to have multiple sources of material.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top