JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been kicking around the idea of finding a couple old musical instrument cases, and converting them into gun cases.
I have a coach gun and a 16" bbl 10/22 with a collapsing stock. I'd like to make 1 for each.
The object would be a hard case that doesn't 'scream' gun, when going to and from the house.
Looking for something used, to do this on the cheap.

Has any body here tried this?

Where are good places to search for used cases?

Thanks!

(if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it)

Guitar cases generally allow space for two thin carbines. Cheap on Craigslist or Amazon ($40)... Visit a music store for a selection and to gauge sizes. A saxophone case will probably handle a shotgun or two with detachable barrels...

A case for bass guitars might accommodate longer rifles/shotguns, and cases for 12-string guitars might allow fatter/more carbines. If you start carting a cello case around, people will start asking you about cellos :D

A hard case for traveling with a set of golf clubs might be the ticket though... (link). All you need to add are a few golf stickers and you're incognito when loading and unloading your car. If you head to another area for shooting or go to an indoor range, remember that people don't usually golf or visit the driving range in the snow or heavy rain :)

i found a violin case fits a draco and has enough room for a 75 rd drum an a few 30 rd mags.a viola case would probably fit an underfolder.ive used modified guitar cases for rifles for years.im ready for some chamber music!

Thanks...
My coach gun only has 20" barrels so that's the longest piece. I was thinking there must be some kind case that takes a wind instrument (oboe-ish?), as they break down.
Seems that stringed instrument (viola-ish?) would work for the 10/22.
I need to go by a music shop and take measurements.
I'll keep an eye out for old hard golf cases too, good tip.

I bought a violin case for $5.00 at a garage sale. I had to take the little accessery box out of it but my all black underfolder AK sure looks sweet against the red velvet lining! It also reminds me of the old gangster movies, " how'd ya like me to play you a tune on my violin?"

I bought a tennis racket case for my KT SU-16C (5.56, .223) or Draco (7.62 X 39). Works for either and has room for two guns (sorry rackets) in separate compartments and mags in a third. Cost was about $35.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

A hard case for traveling with a set of golf clubs might be the ticket though... All you need to add are a few golf stickers and you're incognito when loading and unloading your car.
:gun21:
Colonel Jack D Ripper found that they also work well for BMG's . "Feed me Mandrake, feed me"

I used to use my bass soft case to "smuggle" my ARs in and out of the house with good success. But have since moved to cases designed for the task. Guns naturally fit better in a case that is designed for a gun, rather than a musical instrument. But a gun "disguise" is cool, let us know what you come up with.

I would go non conformist and stay away from the guitar cases. They can sometimes be big and bulky. Since the OP said two
different cases I would go with the Trombone. The Trombone is a long slim case with a bell @ the end. Check music stores. A lot of stores have rental programs with schools. Kids break an instrument and then there are extra cases. Check craigslist also

J

Great idea I'm going to start tweaking on it! For my 9mm AR pistol Ill keep you updated.

P.S I was searching on foam and found a place custom cut any shape you might need. Just trace it on paper, send it in! Its a maybe. But this will be fun.

I'll check music stores, I do check Craigslist every so often.
I don't want to go guitar because of bulkiness.
Trombone is not a bad idea.
I'd like to do one case per gun and keep them as compact as possible.
Not sure if I'll go foam? Might break break out the jig saw and cut a made to fit internal frame that I could line with felt or something to that effect?

Thankyou Snapshot! Great links, great ideas.
Spray foam never occurred to me.
The tool box idea might work really well for my coach gun. I may even have an old beat up one in my garage that could fit. Talk about hiding in plain sight.
Thanks again.

i stole the pic off ftmoe. one way to do it.......

61447755-29076296.jpg

I think I lean more towards the foam padding rather than spray foam. But it is a neat idea.
A banjo case seems somehow perfect, I can't figure out why, but something about it is fitting?
Still think the tool box might work too.
I suppose anything that is rigid and secure would work.

just a gentle suggestion. you can buy 3 or 4 inch case foam from a fabric shop . then lay your case on it, draw around it with a sharpie ..cut out and insert into the instrument case. chose the spot you want the weapon on the foam. put weapon on it and draw around it with a sharpie. cut out about 2 inches into it the outline of your weapon of choice and then insert into case,, make a proper amount of layers. good to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top