JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Greetings.

I am having some cases made for me. They will be soft fabric cases, for extra AR uppers, so they don't get banged up in the safe. They will be made sorta like tool rolls, with ties to secure them closed.

Their outside will be something substantial like denim or cotton duck.

I am wondering about a fabric for their lining. I keep my uppers greasy. (Hah.) So it would be great to get something which will play well with that grease, not get wet and icky, et cetera.

Anyone have any ideas as to fabric type for that? (I am not getting anywhere with Google searches.)

In my experience, cotton duck will absorb a significant amount of lubrication, to the point it will seem like "oil cloth". You can also treat it generously with silicone.
Felt will do the same, and I use it for pistols and the lube pad for cases when reloading.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I have a ton of cotton duck so it sounds like I should treat some of it.

I will post pics when the cases are done.

I use a shop rag soaked in oil. Usually motor oil, but probably just as often I use CLP.
For what? Wiping down phosphated barrels?

(Sorry, don't understand the context of your comment, my question might be dumb.)

For long term storage, my plan would be grease and foodsaver bags...

"It seems to me that when the manufacturer prepares to pack a box of Army rifles, his cruel streak comes out at its worst. From the look of the rifles, he has his three-year-old daughter prepare a compound of molasses, pitch, and used motor oil—the gooier the better. He slings each gun into the resulting mess, sloshes it around for a while, and then lays it neatly into the box. What happens to the yard bird who has to unpack and clean the guns shouldn't happen to my worst enemy.

You use a swab about the size of a tablecloth to wipe the grease from the rifle. When you're halfway through the first rifle, you have to use the gun to wipe the grease from the cloth. When you have finished, you need a large coal shovel to wipe the grease off yourself."

Continued...

From "See Here Private Hargrove." Marion Hargrove 1942

There are several recipes out there for making your own tin cloth. You could use some extra heavy duty flannel to line it with. Just put the gun in a gun sock then in the case. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a fan of Bore Stores. I don't know exactly what the material is that lines them, but it seems to work well. It's also silicone treated.

So you could put the gun in a Bore Store and then have the cases made out of cotton duck (or similar) to fit over.

Just an idea. :)

Also, the firehose fabric that Deluth Trading uses in their clothing is pretty robust stuff. Don't know if you can simply buy the fabric but it would hold up well, for sure.

Suggestion.

Why not just roll them uppers in an additional, separate piece of something absorbent? Cheap enough to be disposable after a while, change out as needed. Car care towels?

This in addition to your chosen lining material.
Costco microfibers. Other than that, there is the chemically treated VPI paper that many guns are shipped in.

Greetings.

I am having some cases made for me. They will be soft fabric cases, for extra AR uppers, so they don't get banged up in the safe. They will be made sorta like tool rolls, with ties to secure them closed.

Their outside will be something substantial like denim or cotton duck.

I am wondering about a fabric for their lining. I keep my uppers greasy. (Hah.) So it would be great to get something which will play well with that grease, not get wet and icky, et cetera.

Anyone have any ideas as to fabric type for that? (I am not getting anywhere with Google searches.)
Your 'Sewing' Fabric using machine and thread . Your also saying you want ' fabric ' and to be ' Not absorbing ' . Short of using a non porosity plastic barrier . ALL fabric lining will take on some oil and dirt .

Natural or Petrol based fabric . ALL fabric is a 'weave ' made of fibers to make fabric/cloth to Sew . So fabric even if poly/nylon with Urethane backside coating, it will absorbed some oils in the fiber weave . but some fabric used as linings are easier to clean than others, because they are surface stain and not porous to let oil soak all way threw the fiber .
I been sewing more than half my life. So if item is real oil/greasy . It best probably use an lining that is ' easy ' washable, or disposable and replace when it gets bad .
EDIT ADD : Best Choice for you .
this afternoon . working today with a very thick/heavy , ( RipStop nylon weave - Vinyl fabric ) .
So if find a ' thinner ' denier weight of this form of hybrid fabric/vinyl . It will shed all Oil/Grease and work as a liner, and is easily worked with thread and sew machine .

Last Edited:
Clik on Pic. to enlarge to better Res.

RS VYNL.jpg

Seems like I should use a layered approach, and something washable or disposable as the inner liner.

Fiber paper, nylon-vinyl, tin pants, humidity-controlled titanium sleeve...

Thanks folks for all the great advice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads