JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ginger Baker of Cream passed away today. Arguably the best drummer of all time, at least in the top three of Baker, Moon, and Bonham. When told he was the father of Heavy Metal, commented, "It should have been aborted!". :D

Few people knew Baker as a jazz drummer, but that was his background. That fact often led him to be snooty towards other informal drummers like Bonham, who often played bare-handed. Baker said that his music with Cream was never performed the same twice... that it was basically jam sessions. And his jam session with Buddy Miles is legendary.

Ginger Baker, legendary Cream drummer, dead at 80

Ginger Baker of Cream passed away today. Arguably the best drummer of all time, at least in the top three of Baker, Moon, and Bonham. When told he was the father of Heavy Metal, commented, "It should have been aborted!". :D

Few people knew Baker as a jazz drummer, but that was his background. That fact often led him to be snooty towards other informal drummers like Bonham, who often played bare-handed. Baker said that his music with Cream was never performed the same twice... that it was basically jam sessions. And his jam session with Buddy Miles is legendary.

Ginger Baker, legendary Cream drummer, dead at 80

Ginger was batsh*t crazy. Some of his interviews on YouTube are hilarious if you can decipher his Cockney gibberish. He definitely had a style based upon his jazz background. Steady and on the beat.

He claimed to have started and kicked heroin 29 times. I imagine he and Jack have already played a few, told each other to f off, and then played a couple more. Here is one of the videos from the Royal Albert shows in 2005 of Cream. Some of the best music you will ever hear. Towards the end jam , Eric looks at Ginger with this " get us out of this " look and Ginger finishes it off perfectly.

Be warned, you watch one video of this series you WILL want to watch them all. Best on DVD with surround sound turned up a bit.

Ginger was batsh*t crazy. Some of his interviews on YouTube are hilarious if you can decipher his Cockney gibberish. He definitely had a style based upon his jazz background. Steady and on the beat.

He claimed to have started and kicked heroin 29 times. I imagine he and Jack have already played a few, told each other to f off, and then played a couple more. Here is one of the videos from the Royal Albert shows in 2005 of Cream. Some of the best music you will ever hear. Towards the end jam , Eric looks at Ginger with this " get us out of this " look and Ginger finishes it off perfectly.

Be warned, you watch one video of this series you WILL want to watch them all. Best on DVD with surround sound turned up a bit.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Loved the vid! Thx for sharing!!!!!

Per the article, it cracked me up that Baker criticized Bruce for playing too loud... ya got 3 guys in a band, what're ya supposed to do to fill the sound? And the sound for it's time period was ground breaking!!! I remember it well cuz I came from a Beach Boys generation living in S Calif. The Beatles and the Stones were boring the crap out of me. So Cream was a kind of Power Rock/Blues that really appealed to the adrenalin in my young groove.

Watching the vid I had two thoughts:
1. Clapton really couldn't sing well at the time of Cream. He sang a bit with Yardbirds and did his first solo when he was with BluesBreakers AFAIK, but in mid career seemed to work on it and get it together about the time he release his pure blues album. He sounds pretty good in the vid!
2. Clapton makes lead guitar and rythym (sp) guitar look effortless. I really had a hard time waiting for his solo in this vid!!! Although Hendrix and SRV are my favs, to me Clapton is the father of British Blues guitar, Jeff Beck notwithstanding. His riffs are classic. There will always be a place for BB King and Albert King et al, but Clapton is a master that shows versatility in his musical career. From BluesBreakers to Cream, then to Blind Faith (with Stevie Winwood out of Spencer Davis Group), and on to a solo career.
3. God bless John Mayall and the Blues Breakers!!! Clapton, John McVie, (Bruce on bass a time or two), Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, Aynsley Dunbar, Lee Michaels at times on the Hammond, Alvin Lee, Elvis Costello, and Mike Bloomfield. Those guys all kinda floated around going in & out of the music scene with each other and jamming often. Created a lot of great bands!! They paved the way for my love of Jeff Beck's Beck-Ola album with Rod Stewart singing blues, and of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

BTW... it was always said that Meth was Baker's thing, but you mentioned heroin... No meth?

I probably have one of the most eclectic ranges of music interest. Here are examples:

For all the rap music bashers - I am right there with you. Todays' rap/ hip-hop does not interest me. I listen to the select 90's rap artists as their storytelling has many truths to it. A little history lesson for those of us who do not live to a "street code." Plus it sounds good to me.

- Bone thugs N harmony - Crossroads

Shock rock/ black metal in one of its most beautiful forms

- Cradle of Filth - Nympehtamine

For my bi-lingual comrades - Alexandre Pires - Todavia

- (for the late nights :D)

I like many genres of music and dislike a few.
Love - Pantera, Slayer, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Suicidal Tendecies, Dead Kennedy's, Causalties, Hatebreed, Creed, Sevendust, Tupac, Cypress Hill, Eminem, Latin music, and more.

Rhythm guitar player in MOC Band is the fiddle player in the second band in this post. I was the touring bassist from 2015-2017 in Brewers Grade, the second band.

I am not playing in the second vid, but that Ric 4001 was mine before it was his!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Loved the vid! Thx for sharing!!!!!

Per the article, it cracked me up that Baker criticized Bruce for playing too loud... ya got 3 guys in a band, what're ya supposed to do to fill the sound? And the sound for it's time period was ground breaking!!! I remember it well cuz I came from a Beach Boys generation living in S Calif. The Beatles and the Stones were boring the crap out of me. So Cream was a kind of Power Rock/Blues that really appealed to the adrenalin in my young groove.

Watching the vid I had two thoughts:
1. Clapton really couldn't sing well at the time of Cream. He sang a bit with Yardbirds and did his first solo when he was with BluesBreakers AFAIK, but in mid career seemed to work on it and get it together about the time he release his pure blues album. He sounds pretty good in the vid!
2. Clapton makes lead guitar and rythym (sp) guitar look effortless. I really had a hard time waiting for his solo in this vid!!! Although Hendrix and SRV are my favs, to me Clapton is the father of British Blues guitar, Jeff Beck notwithstanding. His riffs are classic. There will always be a place for BB King and Albert King et al, but Clapton is a master that shows versatility in his musical career. From BluesBreakers to Cream, then to Blind Faith (with Stevie Winwood out of Spencer Davis Group), and on to a solo career.
3. God bless John Mayall and the Blues Breakers!!! Clapton, John McVie, (Bruce on bass a time or two), Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, Aynsley Dunbar, Lee Michaels at times on the Hammond, Alvin Lee, Elvis Costello, and Mike Bloomfield. Those guys all kinda floated around going in & out of the music scene with each other and jamming often. Created a lot of great bands!! They paved the way for my love of Jeff Beck's Beck-Ola album with Rod Stewart singing blues, and of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

BTW... it was always said that Meth was Baker's thing, but you mentioned heroin... No meth?

Agree that Clapton is probably the best guitar player alive. He has some amazing skill. Jack Bruce was the best bass player ever to play. I play bass, and I watch guys like him and Geddy Lee to pick up things. I will watch those Royal Albert shows over and over to see how Jack makes it work.

You can see some great videos of Eric, Albert Lee, Vince Gill and Sheryl Crow jamming at Erics Crossroads festival. Vince and Eric can jam. Steve Winwood whom opened for Tom Petty in 2014 is damn good.

Your # 3 is spot on. Incredible talent there. The combinations that came out of that group were amazing. I saw Fleetwood Mac when Peter Green was playing with them, completely different and better sound in my opinion.

Ginger was a self admitted heroin addict. I think him and Eric were both doing heroin doing a lot of the Cream days, and that likely contributed to the problems, Jack drank a lot as well. Ginger was a drummer. Keep the beat, don't f up and keep quiet. He never sang a lick I ever know of. He kept he beat fine for Cream , but was really a run of the mill drummer. Nothing like Neil Pert of Rush who finally blew his wrists out. Ginger was kind of like Leon Wilkinson of Lynyrd Skynyrd, he sang on a couple of early songs and then seldom sang again, and he actually had a decent voice, which Ginger sure as hell did not.

Great post, you brought up some great names there. We could go on, even @Caveman Jim can tell some pretty good rock and roll stories too, was lucky enough to go to the Eagles concert two years ago with him and his bride.

I saw Fleetwood Mac when Peter Green was playing with them, completely different and better sound in my opinion.

Apparently Green dropped a lot of acid and was eventually diagnosed as schizophrenic. When Buckingham and Nicks joined the sound did change from blues to pop/rock, but IMO it was still good.... sort of how Blood Sweat & Tears changed (edit: post Al Cooper. Cooper and Bloomfield used to jam... it was pretty good blues.) when David Clayton-Thomas became lead vocalist... different but good. I liked Lindsey Buckingham's picking style, was amazed the first time I saw it on a vid, it's just different, but cool.

Last Edited:
the Eagles concert

They were one of my favs! I still listen to "The Best of The Eagles" album. Something I didn't know since I ain't been keepin up with the current music scene:

Following Frey's death in January 2016, the Eagles continued performing in 2017, with Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sharing lead vocals for Frey's songs. On January 18, 2016, founding member Glenn Frey died at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York City at the age of 67. The causes of his death were rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis, and pneumonia while recovering from intestinal surgery

So was Vince Gill doing the vocals when you went to that concert with @Caveman Jim ? ... That man is sooooooo talented! (Edit: Jim too but I don't know if he can sing!!) Watch Gill and Underwood perform "How Great Thou Art" on YouTube!!

Last Edited:
They were one of my favs! I still listen to "The Best of The Eagles" album. Something I didn't know since I ain't been keepin up with the current music scene:

Following Frey's death in January 2016, the Eagles continued performing in 2017, with Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sharing lead vocals for Frey's songs. On January 18, 2016, founding member Glenn Frey died at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York City at the age of 67. The causes of his death were rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis, and pneumonia while recovering from intestinal surgery

So was Vince Gill doing the vocals when you went to that concert with @Caveman Jim ? ... That man is sooooooo talented! Watch Gill and Underwood perform "How Great Thou Art" on YouTube!!

Yes he did sing a few songs and was awesome with the harmonies as well.
My memory does not let me remember which songs but he did Glenn proud, I'm sure of that. I was very impressed because I was never a Vince Gill fan, hell I didn't even know who he was. :D
I'm a rocker that does not stray to other venues due to my hearing comprehension, new music to my ears does not sound right to me.:s0092:

My memory does not let me remember which songs but he did Glenn proud, I'm sure of that. I was very impressed because I was never a Vince Gill fan, hell I didn't even know who he was. :D
I'm a rocker that does not stray to other venues due to my hearing comprehension, new music to my ears does not sound right to me.:s0092:

I get it.

I've been a Vince Gill fan since the days Garth Brooks changed Country Music forever. The guy has a fabulous tenor voice (as a baritone/bass I'm jealous of people that can hit those notes so sweetly) and is very under rated as a traditional guitarist (not rock style). He jammed with the likes of Roy Clark and it was WOW!

Apparently Green dropped a lot of acid and was eventually diagnosed as schizophrenic. When Buckingham and Nicks joined the sound did change from blues to pop/rock, but IMO it was still good.... sort of how Blood Sweat & Tears changed (edit: post Al Cooper. Cooper and Bloomfield used to jam... it was pretty good blues.) when David Clayton-Thomas became lead vocalist... different but good. I liked Lindsey Buckingham's picking style, was amazed the first time I saw it on a vid, it's just different, but cool.
I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan up until Bob Welch left. Everything before that was pure rock gold. Mystery to Me is my favorite album and second is a very hard pick, but I would have to go with Then Play On.

Here is the set list from that September 30, 2017 show.

Setlist
SHARE SETLIST

1. Seven Bridges Road
    (Steve Young cover)
  2. Take It Easy
    (Deacon Frey on lead vocals)
  3. Take It to the Limit
    (Vince Gill on lead vocals)
  4. Tequila Sunrise
  5. Witchy Woman

6. One of These Nights

7. Lyin' Eyes
    (Vince Gill on leand vocals)
  8. Those Shoes

9. I Can't Tell You Why

10. Best of My Love

11. Love Will Keep Us Alive

12. Peaceful Easy Feeling
  13. The Last Resort

14. Already Gone
  15. In the City
    (Joe Walsh song)
  16. Heartache Tonight
  17. Life's Been Good
    (Joe Walsh song)
  18. New Kid in Town
  19. Life in the Fast Lane

20. Funk #49
    (James Gang cover)
  21. Hotel California

22. Encore:
  23. Rocky Mountain Way
    (Joe Walsh song)
  24. Desperado

When they started Seven Bridges Road accapella in the dark, it made my hair stand on end. Vince Gill was a great choice for them to add. I have the poster in storage and can't wait to get it out, and the set list and the picture of @Caveman Jim his wife and myself and my wife into a frame for the both of us.

Vince Gill and Timothy B Schmidt made an awesome duo, with their higher voices combining for a great sound. I wrote concert reviews for KGON radio back in those days, and was fortunate enough to have them published on their website and was interviewed on air several times after the Tom Petty concert and The Eagles concert.

The set list should credit Timothy B Schmidt for the vocals on Love Will keep us Alive.

Here is some very early Vince Gill in Pure Prairie League.

Another Vince Gill video, see how many musicians you can identify in this video.

Vince, Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow and Albert Lee.

Timothy B Schmidt

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews