JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did FN disclose which exact ammo they used to test fire it?

The first time I returned it for examination (after firing over 300 rounds) they tested it with Federal 230gr. The second time I returned it (after firing 400 more rounds) they examined and then tested it with Fiocchi 230gr. Their test-firing videos also showed the ejected brass was sometimes arcing back towards the shooter instead of a safe margin of travel arc. I reported to FN that I was pelted with ejected brass to my face, head and chest. They did not address (nor comment upon) that issue. FYI, a gunsmith relayed to me that he has "bent" (adjusted) the ejector bar on the FNX-45T pistols to correct that ejection issue.

Hello @sufacedweller --
Welcome from the gun-totin' old broad contingent.

Apparently lots of people report the same problems you are having. The consensus appears to be that the FNX 45 Tactical is a military firearm designed for NATO ammo, which is more like our civilian +P. The spring is a little too heavy for standard American civilian ammo. Two recurring suggestions are to lock the slide back for a couple of weeks or to fire a couple hundred rounds of +P through it. After one or the other or both treatments the gun is apparently reliable with all ammo.

A few years back there were many on the internet who suggested loading all fnx45 tac mags full and leaving them for two weeks before bothering to shoot gun to avoid a frustrating introduction. Couldn't hurt to load all the mags and lock gun open a couple of weeks and try again. Maybe with +P ammo initially.

Apparently the problem is solvable using these tricks, and the gun will fire weak ammo after the break in period. Not every individual FNX45 Tac seems to have these break-in problems but apparently plenty do.

Thank you SO much for the polite, considerate and knowledgeable response/information. What you wrote is very useful to me. And it's about the weapon itself, not any speculation about me, or my capabilities, nor any snarky comments from people who likely need to feel superior to others because they're so insecure themselves. I appreciate your help very much!

Hello @sufacedweller . Yeah. I thought those initial comments were kinda snarky too. That sometimes happens, especially with newcomers. Especially with the first few responses. But bear with us. Sooner or later someone helpful usually weighs in. But the first page of responses can be all over the map. Admittedly we have been getting a lot of complete beginners on the forum the last few years. But there was no reason you should have got responses from us that assumed you were a beginner. Your description of the problem was thorough, and it was clear you were no novice with semiautos, and had already eliminated the obvious problems such as limp wristing or any other problems with your grip, and had tried several different kinds of ammo, and gun cleaning--the obvious things that one usually suggests to novices. I note that @orygun nailed the problem exactly just from your description of the malfunctions . And came up with good relevant suggestions. I was not so sophisticated. I just happened to have been watching internet info on the FNX 45 tac for a few years because I intermittently covet one. (But every time I get near to buying one, I get seduced by another .44 mag revolver.) So I knew other people had problems with the breaking in period on the FN45 Tac too. And that it was a breaking in problem, not defective guns. Note that one of the messages in the FN forum was a suggestion as to what exact Glock spring you could substitute if the standard break-in tricks for the FNX 45 dont work.

Happy New Year!
Carol

It's good to see the ladies on here bonding so well!

;) :D

This break in for a FN pistol is ridiculous! It makes me never to want to buy one. Wow how
many rounds to "Break In"? MY cheap Smith and Wesson M&P 45 auto pistol ran 100%
from day one. It shoots light semi wadcutter target ammo to full power 200 grain JHP
with no issues. I hate guns that don't function. Don't trust them, useless for self defense.

Been shooting an fnp45 for 14 years. Granted it's an earlier iteration, but close to identical to the fnx. Had a few issues like yours earlier on, I blamed my reloads. Spicier reloads worked out.

It's good to see the ladies on here bonding so well!

;) :D
@Stomper--Using "lady" or "woman" or "girl" to express contempt--that was funnier the first several thousand times I heard it. As for "men" kicking the sh!t outta a newcomer to prove their willies are bigger...you could probably cut the b@lls off ten "men" like that and get enough b@lls for one third grade bully.

@Stomper--Using "lady" or "woman" or "girl" to express contempt--that was funnier the first several thousand times I heard it. As for "men" kicking the sh!t outta a newcomer to prove their willies are bigger...you could probably cut the b@lls off ten "men" like that and get enough b@lls for one third grade bully.

It's not bullying, it's called "bustin' bal…. er, chops", it's a guy "dark humor" thing and was done in good fun. It's not my problem if someone DECIDES to be offended…. and for the record, I as well as others enjoy getting their "chops" busted just as much as bustin' other's chops, too.

I'm only sorrry that you can't see that.

It's not bullying, it's called "bustin' bal…. er, chops", it's a guy "dark humor" thing and was done in good fun. It's not my problem if someone DECIDES to be offended…. and for the record, I as well as others enjoy getting their "chops" busted just as much as bustin' other's chops, too.

Saying we don't have enough balls to be a third grade bully is offensive. I mean, come on! We're at LEAST as good as a fourth grade bully

Don't be ridiculous. Of course I see that. And appreciate it when its half way original. Its used in two ways. Sometimes in good fun and camaraderie. Sometimes to declare certain of those present as irredeemably inferior. Once upon a time I was in a position where I was expected to laugh when people made sexist jokes I had heard thousands of times before. Now, thankfully, I dont have to. Sometimes you're original and funny. This time you were a bore and an ahole. Is it a big deal? Naw. Written humor or attempts at humor are tricky, especially when they take the playful insult form. Some of mine don't work all that well either.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top