JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one do you think works better based on the photos?

• Multicam (far left)

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Atacs FG (center)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carhart Military Green (far right)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • They all look about equal

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • The blue shirt for the win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
So I was in Eastern Washington over the weekend doing some hiking, shooting and camo testing. This was about at 1pm, direct sunlight distance is about 200 yards. I propped up multicam (far left) Atacs FG (center) and a Carhart jacket in Military Green (far right) and I stood next to them in a blue shirt. The photos are with no zoom and also with a 4x zoom and then zoomed in again on the same photo with a app on a Samsung galaxy. I wanted to test them in direct sunlight pretty much in the open because under concealment they all perform the same in that environment.

My opinion is they all pretty much work exactly the same. Now with some cloud cover, or some taller grass, those results may change, but I will have to conduct that testing later. It's also pretty Green because of all the snow melt so I believe as things start to get more tan and brown my Carhart won't work as well and it will be between Atacs FG and multicam.

Side note: I carried 2 AR's and 9 fully loaded 30 round mags, along with 2 sets of ear pro and a shooting mat in this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NcStar-CVDC2946T-36-Double-Carbine-Case-Tan-36-In/31019553

For 6 miles, it held up great. I got mine off amazon but it's the same thing. It's not as tough as a 5.11 double rifle bag (which I have), but it's also about a 3rd the price and I am confident I will get a lot more miles out of it if I don't mistreat it unnecessarily. The backpack straps were nice and all the pockets zipper or Velcro and bungee strap close. I carried my mags on the outside pockets and never was in danger of having one drop out hiking around.

IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4165.JPG IMG_4164.JPG

Last Edited:
I voted all about equal...but at 4X I can see what you mean about the Carhart failing sooner.

Interestingly enough though, in the 200yd pic my eye favors the other 2, and overlooks the Carhart. With the multicam more difficult to spot vs. the Atacs in that pic, as the Atacs is flatter than the other 2.

Another reason my eye may be overlooking the Carhart is the shade immediately behind all 3, which the Carhart blends into better IMO, while the other 2 contrast more.

I am a big fan of greens , tans , browns or greys.
Those colors can hide and blend in very well no matter where you are.
The various camouflage patterns have never done much to excite me or make me think they live up to the advertisers hype.

Movement , sound and smell have been the biggest give aways in my experience.
Andy

Last Edited:
Movement , sound and smell have been the biggest give aways in my experience.
Andy
As someone that has hunted all their adult life, I've found ^this^ to be the case. And movement is the worst of them at the ranges in the example.
At mid-day, it's been the ear flick or the head turn that has alerted me to my quarry more often than any other thing.

i voted for the multicam because it breaks up a figure and its not too dark. darker camo doesnt work IMO because its dark and gives an outline. i like to stick with lighter camo with a good pattern. when i hunt, i wear kryptek highlander gear. my buddies say they have a hard time seein me.

Multicam.

Why? Because it blends in more with the bleached wood in the surrounding area. It's hard to tell what's what. Lay with that near a log or log pile and you are hidden.

UV blocking ?
Many animals which are prey, can see into this range, so blocking it is an advantage.

IR ?
Thermal sights, including for smarty-pants phones are available, inexpensively.

UV blocking ?
Many animals which are prey, can see into this range, so blocking it is an advantage.

IR ?
Thermal sights, including for smarty-pants phones are available, inexpensively.

For my personal uses of camo I'm not worried about prey animals seeing me because they are more likely to smell me or hear me before they see me.

Regarding Thermal signatures, I am not attempting to hide my thermal signature with a set of BDU's. There are some good videos on youtube of ideas to mask your thermal signature, many of them rely on a jacket or blanket lined with a space blanket, this system appears to work really well. Also, for my purposes I am not planning on "operating" during night at this time since I have neither night vision or thermal optics so doing so would be completely pointless.

i voted for the multicam because it breaks up a figure and its not too dark. darker camo doesnt work IMO because its dark and gives an outline. i like to stick with lighter camo with a good pattern. when i hunt, i wear kryptek highlander gear. my buddies say they have a hard time seein me.

You hunt in a Kilt????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I like subtle colors such as the multi-cam that can be hidden under branches & shrubs if placed correctly. I have no idea why the military opted for "digital" camo..:oops::oops::oops:

Straight as in perfectly straight lines...:D
Rock formations can indeed be straight ... but not perfectly.

And those rock formations that are "straight" do stand out...
A straight line in nature will stand out... Your camouflage needs to break up your outline and not be straight.
Andy
Mesas present a straight line.... different sedimentary strata often presents a straight line...

;):D

Plaid works too. Nice soft colored plaids are just fine,work like camo
Your face is the most recognizable part of you to animals also.
Then,like Andy said,break up the outline of your human figure.
And don't use those *cool* brightening laundry soaps,they make the best camo stand out to color blind eyes

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads