JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Generally speaking, it's tough to get the military MREs without knowing a guy who knows a guy. The A-Packs, MREStar and Surepaks usually have less food content than real MREs. I would suggest looking for XMRE brand or Warnick Eversafe. Those two are the only ones to surpass 1200 calories per MRE each. Also, the A-Packs usually come with osmotic raisins in every package (I f-ing hate raisins, and osmotic raisins are even worse... being kinda moist and mushy and sticky). XMRE tops out my list personally...

Generally speaking, it's tough to get the military MREs without knowing a guy who knows a guy. ...

Thanks.

That's what started this whole thing for me.
I am about to rotate my canned goods (I usually give them to a local food bank), and was talking to a Buddy about MRE's.

He works for BLM, and was saying that Military MRE's have "not for public sale" (or something like that) stamped on them and cannot be sold any longer.

He says that after a large fire, there are cases of MRE's that go missing from inventory at the fire camp................

the military MRE's like you say bear the "not for resale, public sale" or any number of other variations. Like most things, the government has to rotate these out just like the rest of us and they often show up at fire camps, incident command centers, and relief shelters. Often more MREs show up than are really needed. As a volunteer, I've more than once become the welcome beneficiary of a "we have all this stuff left over, you want some". Everything from cases of water, MREs, and more. At the shooting range I used to work at, the coastguard, and a number of national guard units would come up for training. I usually put clean trash barrels out for them labeling them for "recycling, food, trash" that way I didn't have to pick through the food waste... they threw away all kinds of awesome stuff... cases of chemlights, stripper clips, chargers, magazines (usually with broken springs or followers), paracord, bullet proof vests (usually with bullet holes in one side) etc. Also ammocans, lots and lots of ammo cans.

Fire camps are also notorious places for good loot that gets tossed, on more than one occasion they got a shipment of boots, rucksacks, or other "military dual use" items, and would throw away things they didn't need or didn't fit. Boots were always an issue, because when they got an allotment, it would contain 50 pair of boots pretty much following the bell curve of what would fit everyone. Since I'm one of the few living who wears a 15.5W or 16 boot I have more than a few pair of oddball military boots, for some reason they often sent intermediate cold weather boots to fires. I don't know if the extra insulation allowed them to walk over hot ground easier, but I think I've only worn one pair a few dozen times when it snowed.

Generally, I bet anything that goes "missing" is probably either in the trash, or was used and no one recorded it. The federal government has a tendency to employ litterbugs, go anywhere there are large concentrations of federal government workers and go through the trash, I guarantee you will find awesome stuff in there. The only exception to this is police, usually anything they throw away is in fact garbage, and if it wasn't before they probably shot it full of holes, bent it, broke it, or in some other way made it useless. On the upside, going through the trash is usually below the pay-grade of most police, so a dumpster full of cases of MREs will be left for the picking.

Personally I'd rather go with Mountain House dehydrated/freeze dried foods in pouches, or something like THRIVE or Augason Farms foods in #10 cans. 25 year shelf life and the food is better quality than MREs. Of course you will need to store H2O or have a source for it.

There are many brands out there. Just watch the sodium content, and the calorie count. Wise brand for example is low in calories and high is sodium. . .

Just my preference and $0.02 :)

1-006.jpg I just did a little checking and military issue MRE's are readily available, delivered to your door, for $60.00 - $70.00 a case on Ebay.

Being ex military, I used to purchase MRE's for my kids and I to use for all kinds of outdoor activities.

The pros of MRE's are the variety of items in each pack and if one of us did not like an item, one of the other 5 was willing to trade for something they had, that someone else liked.

The cons of MRE's is the weight. They are very heavy, even if you strip them down. I can put 4 MRE's in a sustainment pouch and it is very heavy.

I can put 5 days worth of Mountain House food in a sustainment pouch and it weighs very little. That is a huge bonus on 50 mile BSA hikes.

We now use Mountain House, for all of our outdoor activity meals. Here is my son, boiling water for himself and brother.

I completely agree re: XMRE's are the civilian best bet. But, if you have a friend or two, car pool to Ft. Lewis area stores for cases of MRE's in abundance. Nice road trip, nice lunch, nice haul of Pirates Booty.

I ended up buying some MRE's from a guy in the Coast Guard.
Young guy , going to school too, so it helped him.:)

I paid $5.00 per meal, bought 4 cases ($240), which is not cheap.....but at least now my time can be spent finding other ways to separate myself from my money.:)

Come to think about it, I guess I bought those MRE's twice, once thru taxes, once face to face.o_O

I can see the advantages of lighter weight food for some circumstances, so picking up some Mt. House too.:)

Thanks for everyone's input and ideas:s0022::s0105:

I ended up buying some MRE's from a guy in the Coast Guard.
Young guy , going to school too, so it helped him.:)

Yo Noflinch, if your Coastie amigo finds himself cash strapped again, PM me? Thanx
2nd in line. I'd also be interested in getting a case at that price.

Or if 7SFCW4 can suggest some stores near JBLM I'd be fine checking them out next time I drive up to Everette to visit my son.

picked up some "Bear Mounain" chicken soup at safeway, pretty good. dehydrated add water and some salt and you're good to go. heck it was good for two meals for the two of us.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top