JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
and what do I do once I get to Florida?

I wouldn't think you would have to do much. If I remember correctly, Oregon chls are recognized in Florida so I would think the laws would be pretty much the same. To be safe, I would look into what the laws say instead of rely on what you read in the online forums.

Just take them back with you on the plane, checked and insured, of course. They are your property you do not need to do anything on the other end.

DO NOT connect thru NY or NJ if you have handguns or evil black guns.

You are partly right. He can connect at NY or NJ if, and I stress if, he does not take charge of his baggage from the airline So connecting yes, lay over, NO

I would not even connect, I know I guy that his flight had mechanical trouble so it got grounded, went down hill fast from there. But you are correct taking charge of your luggage is the issue.

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories when people had to unexpectedly take charge of their luggage in states with restrictive gun laws. Best to avoid the possibility.

So what would one do if they relocated to Florida from Oregon by driving themselves?

With a CHL.

Without a CHL, but legal and not being a felon.

Drive the speed limit and don't draw attention to yourself. It only take one stupid cops that is uninformed on the laws to ruin your day.

So what would one do if they relocated to Florida from Oregon by driving themselves?

With a CHL.

Without a CHL, but legal and not being a felon.

As long as the firearms are legal in your destination state, you are protected by the Firearm Owners Protection Act. You may travel freely through other states on your way, stopping for travel related needs such as food, fuel, and sleep, but you may not stop for non travel related reasons like visiting your buddy. Lock the firearms in cases seperately from ammo and put them in the trunk. I'd exercise caution travelling through the gun unfriendly states, even though you are following the law they can and probably will make things difficult and expensive. Unpleasant even if you prevail in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

If you have a CHL that is recognized by a state you are traveling in then you can carry concealed but you must follow the laws of that state.

Last Edited:
Don't worry about your permit, it means nothing. If you are flying??? (why if you are permently relocating?) you will probably get hit with a baggage charge, but I would fly Southwest through Atlanta. Don't fly Delta. Your guns are legal in FL, so that should not be a problem. Remember, there is no OC in FL or TX. Oh, correction, just found out, there is OC in Florida....IF you are hunting or fishing, or on your way to hunt or fish. Also, Antique firearms are not firearms in FL.

Driving makes it much easier if you have several guns. Package them up and put them in the trunk and don't take I 10 through Texas. Obey all traffic laws and you should be just fine.

Yeah, that was a fairly recent change. In the last year or so they decided to recognize WA CPLs.

Better check you "data" again!!

According to the <broken link removed> they recognize WA resident CPL's but not OR's

One little caveat to that... FL will NOT honor non-resident WA CPL's (or ANY non-resident CHL/CPL (even UT) for that matter)... so us OR residents who have a WA CPL are SOL!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top