JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tons of threads on what you may have or want to have but how about trying to post something you think most people forget/don't think about that you feel is highly useful and very under rated and why.

Pretty easy maybe?

My first one is mole skin. If you are hoofing it for miles and not used to walking 5-10-15-20+ miles then your feet are going to be feeling it bad and if you are using them to get home then having blisters on them is going to make a bad situation miserable.

Second up is the opposite of what a lot of people do think of (hand warmers) and that is instant ice packs in the warmer months especially. If you are not used to the heat it could help prevent a heat stroke or exhaustion. Also it could be good for helping a tweaked knee or ankle and make the difference between getting home (or whenever) and not being able to quite make it.

I have others (or maybe what I have is old hat and it's just me that thinks they may be forgotten often) but fire away if this interests you.

Not so much overlooked / under-rated items , but some things to consider with the items....

Lots of folks have an extra pair of shoes / boots...which is great.
However...do they fit well..? Are they broken in...?

Also...
Do you know how to use every item in your kit..?
"How does this work...? " is not a question to ask during an emergency.
Practice with the items in your kit...see how they work...do they work for you...?

Batteries...are they still good / charged...?
Expiration dates on first aid / medicine..
Check those as well...

How bout storage...is dry...or did it get wet and ruined...?
Is it still there...or did it get forgotten / left behind / stolen....?
Andy

Not so much overlooked / under-rated items , but some things to consider with the items....

Also...
Practice with the items in your kit...see how they work...do they work for you...?

Check those as well...

Andy
Andy, you're always so….. practical.

Under just about every circumstance and weather conditions, whiskey and cocaine will always get you home.

Not really. ;)

Regarding Every Day Carry, I'm always amazed at those that don't carry an extra mag or speed loader. These times of the ever popular appendix carry those that do don't want a spare mag in their belt or bulging their pocket. Defeats the deep carry purpose... or so they believe. A gunfight shouldn't be over because your gun runs dry. Slap another magazine in and get back in the fight.

Also...

Check those as well...

Andy
If you're going to carry extra boots, stuff a pair or two of socks in them.

I have a life straw , an extra pair of underwear and an extra pair of socks in my get home bag. I also a have small foldable wood saw, ferro rod, a first first aid kit and I also have a some Korean toilet paper circles which are very strong compared to regular toilet paper.

I was a scout as a kid and have practiced making fire in multiple ways.

What I learned over the years is a 3-4" piece of road flare (the side with the covered striker) will light even wet wood by the time it burns out and is extremely easy to light, even with decreased motor skills.

My ferro rods haven't been used in a lot of years. And I have some cool ones that have lasted all of my life with some regular use over the years.

I have a life straw , an extra pair of underwear and an extra pair of socks in my get home bag. I also a have small foldable wood saw, ferro rod, a first first aid kit and I also have a some Korean toilet paper circles which are very strong compared to regular toilet paper.

Could just pack an 8.5x11 printer sheet. They're even stronger :s0140:
3rd_round_product_web-15_1000x.jpg

Grippy bois.

Plus 1 on the moleskin, but I'd pass on the ice pack Too bulky and too fragile. I'd pack a couple Ace bandages and an extra bottle of water for approximately the same weight.I'd keep a light poncho and a couple of the thin mylar blankets just in case I'm camping out. Extra socks, Electrolyte powder ,A C Crane Skywave radio or something equally small and capable.

Bic lighter, wool socks, two pair of underwear, bandaids, moist towlettes, hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 pack of cigarettes, sunglasses.
If I'm taking the trouble of carrying death sticks, it's gonna be a full, fresh pack. Either I'm an addict or I think they're going to be extremely valuable trade stock. Either way, full, sealed pack.

If I'm taking the trouble of carrying death sticks, it's gonna be a full, fresh pack. Either I'm an addict or I think they're going to be extremely valuable trade stock. Either way, full, sealed pack.
Was a little movie reference thrown in there...;)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top