JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just purchased a shockwave. I love it. I have an Oregon CHL. The FFL I purchased from said it was registered to me as a handgun with the new laws, I will follow up and make sure they did do that.
Question is, can I have it concealed with wounds in the tube since I have a chl? I believe I can if it in fact is not registered as "other"
Thanks

63C86ED3-5E5C-4CE8-97C7-D86C0AD29B8C.jpeg
Just purchased a shockwave. I love it. I have an Oregon CHL. The FFL I purchased from said it was registered to me as a handgun with the new laws, I will follow up and make sure they did do that.
Question is, can I have it concealed with wounds in the tube since I have a chl? I believe I can if it in fact is not registered as "other"
Thanks

The FFL is wrong:

The laws have not changed. The only thing that changed was what the FFL tells the state when you buy/transfer a Shockwave or similar "firearm".

These are not handguns, they are not rifles, they are not concealable and they are not shotguns - they are "firearms" - that is why they are legal in that configuration. Each of those things are mandatory for them to be "firearms".

You cannot change them in a way that makes them shorter than 26", and you can put a vertical grip on the fore-end - you can't do the latter with a handgun (it makes handguns into an AOW) and you handguns can be shorter than 26".

There is a difference between what someone puts on a form or fills out on a computer for a transfer and what the law says. Next time someone tells you that these are legal to conceal in Oregon, ask them to cite the law that says it is so, and not what they tell the state in a transfer.

And BTW - it is not registered. Oregon does not register any firearms. They just require, with a few exceptions (intra-family) that a transfer must be done thru an FFL and that a background check is done. The law prohibits Oregon state from keeping a registry.

The FFL is wrong:

The laws have not changed. The only thing that changed was what the FFL tells the state when you buy/transfer a Shockwave or similar "firearm".

These are not handguns, they are not rifles, they are not concealable and they are not shotguns - they are "firearms" - that is why they are legal in that configuration. Each of those things are mandatory for them to be "firearms".

You cannot change them in a way that makes them shorter than 26", and you can put a vertical grip on the fore-end - you can't do the latter with a handgun (it makes handguns into an AOW) and you handguns can be shorter than 26".

There is a difference between what someone puts on a form or fills out on a computer for a transfer and what the law says. Next time someone tells you that these are legal to conceal in Oregon, ask them to cite the law that says it is so, and not what they tell the state in a transfer.

And BTW - it is not registered. Oregon does not register any firearms. They just require, with a few exceptions (intra-family) that a transfer must be done thru an FFL and that a background check is done. The law prohibits Oregon state from keeping a registry.
Just curious because they have the serial number name ect on the fourm how do we all know that it's not a back door registration and that Oregon State is actually following the law. Only asking because it seems like you know a decent amount

Thank you for your replies. So with this "weapon" lol, how am I to transport it, and can there be shells in the tube but not in the pipe? If it's unloaded completely can't it be concealed like any other long gun or no?

Even though Oregon has your FFL transfer the Shockwave to you as a "Pump Pistol", if you conceal it the ATF considers it an AOW.

Would make a nice "truck gun". Not sure of the legalities of driving around with it loaded.

Just curious because they have the serial number name ect on the fourm how do we all know that it's not a back door registration and that Oregon State is actually following the law. Only asking because it seems like you know a decent amount

You can call it "de-facto" registration because that is essentially what it is. I have said this many times; that the BGC system may serve this purpose eventually because as a computer professional, I know that in large computer networks/systems in large orgs (like a state gov.), it is almost impossible to completely eradicate every trace of data once it is in the system. There are backups, there are copies, there are transforms (for data mining and analytics and reports and such) and there are "unauthorized" copies that people make for various reasons to their work computers and offline media. There are hard copies.

That said, the system is not officially a registration system and it is a misnomer to call it such as that is not its official purpose - and IIRC there is a clause in the law that says it cannot serve that purpose and that the state must not keep copies of the data past a certain period of time. And of course, the Oregon state gov. wouldn't think of not following that part of the law, right? - *wink wink*

For the record, I talked to OSP. I was told absolutely no problem concealing a shockwave with valid chl, "it's a pistol" they say.

The last people you want to ask about some aspect of the law is a law enforcement officer. Most go by the same rumors that they hear others tell them. Yes, I used to be a LEO (federal). If you want to know for sure, ask a lawyer with experience and knowledge in the particular area you have a question about (i.e., don't ask a lawyer who handles probate about gun laws).

Also, Google the actual law and read it for yourself. Show me where the law says that this 'firearm' is a pistol. Federal law and the BATF says it is legal because it is NOT a pistol. Read the link to the ATF letter I provided above. Google it. The ATF says these are not pistols because they are not concealable. IIRC there is also a clause in one of their rulings/letters that infers concealing them may make them an AOW?

For the record, I talked to OSP. I was told absolutely no problem concealing a shockwave with valid chl, "it's a pistol" they say.

Until you speak with every single OSP officer then realize that you might get a different answer by the one placing you in handcuffs. Officers are typically not allowed to render legal advice. Attorneys are. If they reference a specific training bulletin used by OSP then I would get a copy for your records. And keep in mind that is OSP and not every other PD and SO in the state. FWIW

I would get that in writing!

From the Attorney General - the only person in the state with the authority to make that determination. I seem to recall that someone has asked the office that question and got no answer on that issue? While at the same time the AG was the one who made the final determination that these "firearms" are legal in ORegon?

Believe me, if they thought they could ban them without the passage of a law, they surely would have. Now the horse is out of the barn and it will be harder to ban them. Which has little to do with the original question.

They sure are fun to shoot and mine will sleep in my camper with me when we are in the woods. I will not conceal it loaded in my vehicle as grey areas are not comfort zones for me, I like being comfortable, and that's why I carry and own guns in the first place

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top