JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A really heavy box arrived from Montana Gold this week, 4K of 9mm.....not loaded any yet, but I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the craftsmanship. You can tell that they are more uniform than some of the other stuff I've purchased to date.

I've got a huge pile of brass, a huge pile of bullets, now I just need to get myself a progressive press and I am good. Looking at getting myself a Dillon press. I'm considering a 550 for both pistol and rifle....anyone loading both on the 550 got anything to say about the pro's cons of doing both on the platform?

My RockChucker has worked well to date, but I can see a lot of hours at the press if I don't go pregressive.

I love my 550 for pistol calibers and rifle, when I can get a powder that meters well, like W748. If I am loading larger calibers and using extruded powders, I use the Forster and weigh every charge.

Still not gotten round to ordering a dillon yet, but I did 'finally' throw some loads together today for my new Montana Golds....and yes, they are really great.

Used some Acc #7 and Unique, so here's the numbers (remember, these numbers worked for me, your mileage may vary, and the wheels might come off too...so work up to loads carefully)

I played with the rounds to make sure that I could create a COL that would not jam the round into the rifling before I started....discovered that there was very little in the way of average size between the Berry's and the MG's.

So here are the numbers.

Primary test was with my XD 9mm Tactical 5"

Acc #7 8.6gr MG 115gr Col 1.123 Average Velocity 1263 fps. this is actually pretty consistent with the Berry's I used with this same load. No feed or eject issues and worked a treat. Certainly come across the chrony a little quicker than out of my P226(100 fps less in fact), amazing what an inch of barrel will do for you.

Unique 5.8gr MG 115 gr COL 1.123 Average Velocity 1263...yes, really...! Quite surprised to get an exact reading! in fact that unique stepped nicely with the test loads.

5.6 gr 1246
5.8 gr 1263
6.0 gr 1283

While I was at it, I also wanted to verify if there was any difference between the Remington 1 1/2 and the 5 1/2 pistol primers. Using both the Unique and Acc # 7 I saw a drop in average of between 10 and 20 fps, and a larger swing in standard deviation too. Did not quite expect that.

I also nearly destroyed the Chrony in the process.....if your going to test your pistol loads, put up the wires.....I must have sunk a little in my stance at one point and pulled the shot too, I skimmed a round right over the top of the back sensor....it peeled the metal case back a little and left a nice groove in the sensor face.....but thankfully it still works!! Put up the wires and screen after that and found it much easier to make sure I was not going to do it again.

....it peeled the metal case back a little and left a nice groove in the sensor face.....but thankfully it still works!! Put up the wires and screen after that and found it much easier to make sure I was not going to do it again.

Don't count on it...I can attest to it...Yep...after I bought my second chrony, I started clamping my pistol butt into a simple rifle vise and I havent shot it since...I still have to hold on to it, but the downward tigger pull does'nt factor in anymore. At least I have some spare Chrony parts now! Go for the 550B you'll love it...I'm hooked.

I like this site for a variety of load ideas...in any caliber, any bullet wt and for all powders:
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=10%20mm&Weight=180&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Have fun :s0155:

550b is the only progressive I"ve owned,so can't say it's 'the best',but I sure like it,had it for abouit 12 years now.
doesn't measure Unique the best...what does...but really does well with w231 and Titegroup.ymmv on this as with all things.
I also have an sdb,and much prefer the handroom and visiblity of the 550.much.

thoughts;
you can easily get by without the roller handle.
you can easily get by without the strong mounts,just build bench tall enough.
don't try to go fast,even at a 'slow' pace it;'ll run rings around a single stage.

only dislike....running out of components. :)

only dislike....running out of components. :)

I see that could be a problem.

Gonna get one ordered this week and settle into some volume loads for the handgun. I've got a load of 9mm brass I've picked up over the last few months. I need to make a summer fun stockpile :)

Probably get the 9mm and 223 setup for it, and that should cover all my immediate needs.

The 550 is the best press, imo. I've used Lee, RCBS, and the Dillon SDB. This press will do just about everything well.
You can also try to order from brianenos.com. He is a Dillon dealer and doesn't charge shipping on orders over $400.

I have had a Dillon 450 and now 550B since they first came out, for under $200, and would not trade it for any other press. I've used many.
If you are reloading rifle cals and want accurate measuring of the extruded rifle powders you have to check out the Quick Measure: http://www.quick-measure.com/
It will NOT cut the powder grains at all.
The ONLY powder measure that will produce match quality loads with extruded powders and you do NOT have to weigh every load.
Worth looking at for sure.

I ordered my 550B with setup for both 223 and 9mm last friday. I went with the whole quick change approach so I could just swap out the heads easily...seemed sensible. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Good call on the extra toolheads. It would be a pain to have to adjust your dies every time. You still have to switch between large and small primer tubes and assemblies, but that is only 2 allen screws and is simple. Eventually, you may want to have 2 powder hoppers. One set up with the small powder bar and one set up with the large.

Have fun.

Dang it motoman. Now I have to look into one of those quick-measures.

A couple of boxes turned up yesterday and within was my new 550. Exciting times. Got right to it and set up the unit. A little tweaking here and there and it's all ready to load stuff.

Ran a few 9mm through it last night to
make sure it's all ok. And i am pretty amazed at how
much faster you can knock out Those rounds.

I've got a pile to do, I'll get the 223 head setup over the weekend. For now, a very happy man

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top