JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Other than 2 ocular lenses, is there an advantage to using binoculars over a monocular?

The monocular has the size and weight advantage.
Stability of the platform, especially if using it for long periods of time while scouting for deer, or bird watching. I have only one eye and I use binoculars for the above mentioned advantage.

Hmm... Are you saying binoculars have the larger FOV? I'm looking at the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 binocs, and the FOV @1000 yards is the same as for the Vortex 8x32 monocular... 393'
The binocs, 8x42, will be quite a bit brighter than the 8x32 mono, and, you will find the binocs are much less tiring to use over a period of time.
I would suggest you do a side by side comparison.
Best,
Gary

Hmm... Are you saying binoculars have the larger FOV? I'm looking at the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 binocs, and the FOV @1000 yards is the same as for the Vortex 8x32 monocular... 393'
Something to be aware of, naturally I do not have this issue not having binocular vision, but make sure the bins you get are properly collimated. And if after ten minute in the store looking at stuff with them and you don't have a headache, then they probably are. Also be wary, the demo ones might be cherry picked. Especially at the low end of bins, give them a good test. If you go for Leica or the Vortex Razor , you probably don't need to worry about collimation. I bought the demo low end vortex for my gf after she liked them, they tried to give us a new pair from under the counter. I had her spend another five minutes with that pair and she got a headache. So demo pair it was, and Cabelas can cherry,pick another one for the counter.

What primary use?

Good question! Shooting (general) and hunting (beginner), primarily, but also when out camping and general sightseeing. I also have a spotting scope for getting up close and super clear.

Something to be aware of, naturally I do not have this issue not having binocular vision, but make sure the bins you get are properly collimated. And if after ten minute in the store looking at stuff with them and you don't have a headache, then they probably are. Also be wary, the demo ones might be cherry picked. Especially at the low end of bins, give them a good test. If you go for Leica or the Vortex Razor , you probably don't need to worry about collimation. I bought the demo low end vortex for my gf after she liked them, they tried to give us a new pair from under the counter. I had her spend another five minutes with that pair and she got a headache. So demo pair it was, and Cabelas can cherry,pick another one for the counter.

Good to know, thank you!

OutSTANDING post! :s0155:

There's few things worse than a set of wonked binos that will give you migraine inducing googly-eyed Superman vision!

It depends on the design of the optics and other factors. Some binos have better optics than some monos. Some monoculars are much smaller than binoculars and can be carried easily in a shirt pocket. Spotting scopes often have much more magnification than binoculars and are often variable power where many binoculars are not. As others have said, it is easier to hold binos steady when handheld. It depends on what you choose.

I use 10X Leupold binoculars, a 10-20X compact scope, and a 12-40X full sized scope. I use the binos a lot more than anything else, but often wish I had the compact spotting scope with me.

I have 2 monos and 3 binoculars. What I grab depends on the task and whether weight is
critical. I rarely bring binoculars when I'm mountain climbing...but when heading to the
range or woods for short trips, the binos can be a comfortable fit.

Mono - B&L and Leica
Bino - Swarovski, Steiner, Bushnell

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews