JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a musing post, really, not aimed specifically at anybody, just thought that some of you, like me, have found you forever binoculars a long time ago.

Back in 1978, we lived in Rheindahlen, in Nord-Rhein Westphalia, and had a usual British NAAFI and, since our location was JHQ NORTHAG, a Dutch 'PX'. They had some incredible stuff that you'd never see anywhere else, including Japan home-market-only Seiko watches, and on this occasion, some Pentax wide-angle prismatic binoculars. My pal Dick and our wives were down in Ahrweiler one weekend, looking at the European Condors, me with a pair of Tasco 16x50 and him with a pair of these Pentax glasses. Well, I was picking up the birds alright, but with my high mag glasses I was mostly getting eyeballs or individual feathers, and missing the whole bird - way too much magnification. So Dick lent me his pair of these Pentax glasses. TBH, they didn't look anything special, just like any other binos of similar design. And then, I put them up to my eyeballs and almost freaked out - they were, without any exaggeration, exactly like looking at the world with the lighting turned on - I have never seen anything like that before in my life, and I was astounded.

That was on the Sunday, and on my coffee break the next morning, I was down at the Dutch PX, buying two sets of 7x35 and 8x40 - one for me and Mrs tac, the other for my BIL and his wife.

We still have them, and I take them with me everywhere I go, and that included the three years I spent in BRIXMIS, the British Military Mission to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany - a unit where money was used wisely to buy the very best of everything optical, from cameras to binoculars - Nikon F5s and a trunkful of lenses for everybody, and Leitz binoculars too. My Leitz set stayed in the office - by comparison with my Pentax's they were like looking into a mouse's ear. The secret, I was told, was in the eyepiece coatings, and maybe the good folks here who know all about lens coatings can tell me what it actually is. I've heard all kinds of opinions over the last 43 years, none of which make much sense to me, from isotopic gold to ultra-rare earths.

I hope that this image gives some idea of what I mean - I'd like to add that these optics GLOW when looked at at certain angles - my image can't do them justice

1639003765826-png.png

About ten years ago, I sent both pairs to a friend of mine who is the Chief Engineer of Servicing for a well-known optical company here in UK, who, before I retired from the Army in 2000, was our visiting maintenance engineer for our $1/2M optical light tables. He looked them over, and sent them back within the week, saying that a. they needed nothing more than a good cleaning cloth, and b. what the heck was that coating?

They continue to delight and amaze everybody who looks through them - not even the mighty Leica's or Swarovski's owned by some of our more pecunious club members can compete.

They cost DM48 per pair - at that time, just around $50.

Just a musing post, really, not aimed specifically at anybody, just thought that some of you, like me, have found you forever binoculars a long time ago.

Back in 1978, we lived in Rheindahlen, in Nord-Rhein Westphalia, and had a usual British NAAFI and, since our location was JHQ NORTHAG, a Dutch 'PX'. They had some incredible stuff that you'd never see anywhere else, including Japan home-market-only Seiko watches, and on this occasion, some Pentax wide-angle prismatic binoculars. My pal Dick and our wives were down in Ahrweiler one weekend, looking at the European Condors, me with a pair of Tasco 16x50 and him with a pair of these Pentax glasses. Well, I was picking up the birds alright, but with my high mag glasses I was mostly getting eyeballs or individual feathers, and missing the whole bird - way too much magnification. So Dick lent me his pair of these Pentax glasses. TBH, they didn't look anything special, just like any other binos of similar design. And then, I put them up to my eyeballs and almost freaked out - they were, without any exaggeration, exactly like looking at the world with the lighting turned on - I have never seen anything like that before in my life, and I was astounded.

That was on the Sunday, and on my coffee break the next morning, I was down at the Dutch PX, buying two sets of 7x35 and 8x40 - one for me and Mrs tac, the other for my BIL and his wife.

We still have them, and I take them with me everywhere I go, and that included the three years I spent in BRIXMIS, the British Military Mission to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany - a unit where money was used wisely to buy the very best of everything optical, from cameras to binoculars - Nikon F5s and a trunkful of lenses for everybody, and Leitz binoculars too. My Leitz set stayed in the office - by comparison with my Pentax's they were like looking into a mouse's ear. The secret, I was told, was in the eyepiece coatings, and maybe the good folks here who know all about lens coatings can tell me what it actually is. I've heard all kinds of opinions over the last 43 years, none of which make much sense to me, from isotopic gold to ultra-rare earths.

I hope that this image gives some idea of what I mean - I'd like to add that these optics GLOW when looked at at certain angles - my image can't do them justice

View attachment 1085602

About ten years ago, I sent both pairs to a friend of mine who is the Chief Engineer of Servicing for a well-known optical company here in UK, who, before I retired from the Army in 2000, was our visiting maintenance engineer for our $1/2M optical light tables. He looked them over, and sent them back within the week, saying that a. they needed nothing more than a good cleaning cloth, and b. what the heck was that coating?

They continue to delight and amaze everybody who looks through them - not even the mighty Leica's or Swarovski's owned by some of our more pecunious club members can compete.

They cost DM48 per pair - at that time, just around $50.
If you would like more info on your Pentax Binos, I would suggest you consult some of the European birding forums. I think you will find that some of the folks there are a veritable cornucopia of information.
Best,
Gary

If you would like more info on your Pentax Binos, I would suggest you consult some of the European birding forums. I think you will find that some of the folks there are a veritable cornucopia of information.
Best,
Gary
'bin there, done that. We are in the RSPB and Wildlife Trust, both of which have 'tied' optical vendors of everything you can think of, from Hawke, Oregon, Swift, Kowa, Steiner, Nikon, Leupold, Leitz, Zeiss, Meopta and Swarovski and anybody else I may have missed out. Their general comment was, whatever, you've had them a long time and been happy. Keep them, stay happy and enough with the questions - kind of, 'the 'Old Ones' took their secrets back into Oblivion...'

In the first decade of this millennium, I was working with a company that had been one of the pioneers in optical coatings, as glass was their bread and butter. I was astounded at the level of their R&D and the security surrounding it. They perfected coatings and the application of them to glass, which is a significant portion of the problem. The coatings division, was their hefty profit center.
Their corporate directorate was feeling the pressure to export manufacturing to an Asian country. Problem was, the country was demanding they also disclose their IP, which the director of R&D commented to me that he thought was a fatal mistake.
I'll note, back then, riflescopes from that same country had "coatings" on them, but looking through one was like looking through dirty industrial glass. Seems some of that IP made it into said glass.
@tac, I'm envious of your Pentax binoculars. I have one of their spotting scopes, and every time I use it, I feel like I purchased a Swaro for 1/4th the cost.

The Wife and I decided to run over to the coast for the weekend a while back she rented a condo like place and we had all kinds of time to enjoy. On the way over we stopped in Rose Lodge for what turned out to be our last breakfast at the Rose Lodge restaurant (it burned down) As we went to leave I spotted a garage sale sign so we headed that way. The sale was nothing special but on a back table was a Binocular case closed. Price tag said $25.00 I popped it open and instantly saw the PENTAX name on the glasses inside. Put them up to my eyes and before I had them down was walking towards the little cash box table. Turns out they were the best of PENTAX's early 1970's offerings in 7 X 50 And are easily as good as any $500 pair of any current offerings. They are now among my favorite toys.

As a Camera guy I know a little about the coatings on lenses. Here is an excellent write up on coating used on Canon Camera lenses and the Pentax coatings would be very similar with the science being the same.

I have a pair of Bushnell sport view 7x35 that are about 40 years old, pretty darn good binos considering what they cost new. I like the instafocus feature. they live in my pickup.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top