JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is by far the best sugar substitute (Monk fruit) that we have ever tried.;)

Agreed - a bag followed Mrs. 3M home from Costco on her last trip. We've tried Stevia, Swerve, and a few others and this is by far the best.

We also found out the other day that out local grocery type WalMart carries Caulipower pizzas and pizza crusts. Really awesome and it uses a crust made from cauliflower and cheese. Sugar isn't the only problem - white flour and sugar have the same hypoglycemic index (100, the highest on the index) so it along with white rice are no different to how your body reacts to sugar. Heck even peanut M&M's are better for you than white bread with an index of only 25, the same as many fruits.

Unless diabetic, what's wrong with plain ole ordinary sugar or honey?

I see a lot of folks tying themselves into knots over the simplest things...

Oh, but sugar is bad mkay?

Odd, been using sugar all me born days and I've yet to grow another head or a leg fall off.

Oh right, using trendy sweetener is de rigueur doncha know?

Agreed - a bag followed Mrs. 3M home from Costco on her last trip. We've tried Stevia, Swerve, and a few others and this is by far the best.

We also found out the other day that out local grocery type WalMart carries Caulipower pizzas and pizza crusts. Really awesome and it uses a crust made from cauliflower and cheese. Sugar isn't the only problem - white flour and sugar have the same hypoglycemic index (100, the highest on the index) so it along with white rice are no different to how your body reacts to sugar. Heck even peanut M&M's are better for you than white bread with an index of only 25, the same as many fruits.

Good stuff brother but caveman could not live without the occasional PB&J....:s0139:

Odd, been using sugar all me born days and I've yet to grow another head or a leg fall off.

Any high glycemic index carb is bad for you. Your body was designed to handle carbs that get in your blood stream super fast like sugar, white flour and white rice. It places a huge strain on your pancreas and slowly makes it harder for your body to use the insulin your pancreas manufacturers. They put that crap along with salt in everything because it's cheap.

If I had eaten a better diet when I was younger I wouldn't be diabetic now. Then (and now) most of the medical community is pushing high carb low fat diets which increases the problem. I followed their advice and the more I did the more weight I gained and the crappier I felt until I woke up one morning with a painful infection that let to a diagnosis of diabetes.

Since I've taken carbs mostly out of my diet (I make brief exceptions of one week each year for Washington cherries, Hermiston Watermelons, and Washington peaches and nectarines) my health and energy has increased and I've lost a hundred pounds. I need less and less insulin as I continue to lose weight. I've also increased my caloric intake from ~1200 calories on a carb diet to 2,100 on my high fat, moderate protein, scant carb diet. Fruit is now my candy.

Whose advice did I follow? My own body. I stopped listening to doctors and nutritionists and started listening to my own body. It turned out to be quite simple:
  • If I eat it and it gives me energy shortly after I eat more of it
  • If I eat it and don't get more energy shortly after I avoid it (except for fibrous foods). Why would you put fuel in your gas tank that wouldn't increase your range?
  • If I eat it and feel sleepy shortly afterward I just don't eat it anymore
  • What goes in must come out and God didn't plant a toilet paper tree in the Garder of Eden; neither did one evolve along side us. The cleaner and easier your toileting the higher the quality of your diet.
That's it - 4 simple rules. Some people might do better on a higher carb diet than I do. There is no one size fits all, but IMO the high percentage of high hypoglycemic carbs in the American diet, as well as all the rice in the SE Asia diet, has lead to an epidemic of diabetes in both places.

Your body likely has a better tolerance than most of us - maybe your pancreas is up to it, and your cells don't get insulin resistance. Then again I had no idea until I hit the ER with an infection that resulted in a stay of several days while they determined how much of what type of insulin I needed.

Any high glycemic index carb is bad for you. Your body was designed to handle carbs that get in your blood stream super fast like sugar, white flour and white rice. It places a huge strain on your pancreas and slowly makes it harder for your body to use the insulin your pancreas manufacturers. They put that crap along with salt in everything because it's cheap.

If I had eaten a better diet when I was younger I wouldn't be diabetic now. Then (and now) most of the medical community is pushing high carb low fat diets which increases the problem. I followed their advice and the more I did the more weight I gained and the crappier I felt until I woke up one morning with a painful infection that let to a diagnosis of diabetes.

Since I've taken carbs mostly out of my diet (I make brief exceptions of one week each year for Washington cherries, Hermiston Watermelons, and Washington peaches and nectarines) my health and energy has increased and I've lost a hundred pounds. I need less and less insulin as I continue to lose weight. I've also increased my caloric intake from ~1200 calories on a carb diet to 2,100 on my high fat, moderate protein, scant carb diet. Fruit is now my candy.

Whose advice did I follow? My own body. I stopped listening to doctors and nutritionists and started listening to my own body. It turned out to be quite simple:
  • If I eat it and it gives me energy shortly after I eat more of it
  • If I eat it and don't get more energy shortly after I avoid it (except for fibrous foods). Why would you put fuel in your gas tank that wouldn't increase your range?
  • If I eat it and feel sleepy shortly afterward I just don't eat it anymore
  • What goes in must come out and God didn't plant a toilet paper tree in the Garder of Eden; neither did one evolve along side us. The cleaner and easier your toileting the higher the quality of your diet.
That's it - 4 simple rules. Some people might do better on a higher carb diet than I do. There is no one size fits all, but IMO the high percentage of high hypoglycemic carbs in the American diet, as well as all the rice in the SE Asia diet, has lead to an epidemic of diabetes in both places.

Your body likely has a better tolerance than most of us - maybe your pancreas is up to it, and your cells don't get insulin resistance. Then again I had no idea until I hit the ER with an infection that resulted in a stay of several days while they determined how much of what type of insulin I needed.

:s0101:

Good stuff brother but caveman could not live without the occasional PB&J....:s0139:

Sammies are always good! I do take occasional keto vacations to make sure that no food fantasies get me off track, but I've skipped several of them because my desire just isn't there as much these days. If I did have a sandwich I'd opt for something other than white bread - I'd go for something similar to Dave's Killer Good Seed/multigrain bread. Tastes much better, too, and better texture. There are also gettign to be some very good keto bread recipes and even commercial produced low carb breads.

Yes WHITE flower is a BIG problem! The way we grow/process wheat in the last 75 years is the problem. In the old days wheat would be allowed to dry in the fields-sprout- and then dry. Now they harvest it right into the storage silos.There are many other, better ancient grains such as spelt, aromath, buckwheat and quonia to name a few that are much, much better and don't affect your blood sugar near as much as white wheat. Potatoes are another issue. The misses makes a hash browns substitute out of cauliflower that is bomb!!! You can also use it to replace rice. We don't have blood sugar issue though Diabetes runs in both of our families. Its also very important to eat good fats with any carb containing meal as it slows down how the body absorbs the carbs. Lower the carbs and increase the fats. Eating this way is not cheap. Buying good quality food is like taking medicine but doesn't have the side affects!!!

Yes WHITE flower is a BIG problem! The way we grow/process wheat in the last 75 years is the problem. In the old days wheat would be allowed to dry in the fields-sprout- and then dry. Now they harvest it right into the storage silos.There are many other, better ancient grains such as spelt, aromath, buckwheat and quonia to name a few that are much, much better and don't affect your blood sugar near as much as white wheat. Potatoes are another issue. The misses makes a hash browns substitute out of cauliflower that is bomb!!! You can also use it to replace rice. We don't have blood sugar issue though Diabetes runs in both of our families. Its also very important to eat good fats with any carb containing meal as it slows down how the body absorbs the carbs. Lower the carbs and increase the fats. Eating this way is not cheap. Buying good quality food is like taking medicine but doesn't have the side affects!!!

You can still get sprouted spelt bread in the health section of most stores. It was one of my transition foods. Forgot all about spuds, and I used to fry them all the time. I'd love that hash brown recipe - I've riced cauliflower and then fried it as well as mashed it, but those hash brows sound awesome!

We eat pretty clean keto and it can be done fairly inexpensively - though it is for sure more money then eating boxed junk processed food

We eat pretty clean keto and it can be done fairly inexpensively - though it is for sure more money then eating boxed junk processed food
Boxed junk food is NOT cheap!!! Your right, though, you can eat better fairly reasonably but if you going to search out Organic sources of meat, dairy, fats your gonna pay more than conventional foods. You do, though, get what you pay for. Having a nice organic garden saves some money but many good veggies can be purchased cheaper than you can grow them. My wife and I grow the ones that are expensive and buy the cheap ones. Game meat is the best in many ways though grass fed/finished is good also.Get some chickens and feed em right -let em range if you have the property or just buy good free range eggs. Dairy sources should be raw as any extensive heat i.e. pasteurization destroys the beneficial bacteria's in them. Grass fed dairy is good but still has to be heated! In the old days people ate way, way more raw dairy and more importantly fermented foods. Thats how they kept their gut healthy. There was way less digestive issues back then. People these days have lost the knowledge that their ancestors had IMHO!!!

There must be something wrong with the American diet.
Look around, we are a nation of fat people.
Diabetes is rampant.

Maybe sugar, high fructose corn syrup is part of what went wrong ?

most people don't know that a sugar sweetened soda has, on average, the equivalent of 10 cubes of sugar per 12 oz.High fructose corn syrup, all GMO,is even worse for you!!! MY take is, basically, its not the food but how it is produced that really causes issues. Granted there are many things that should be eaten/drank in moderation but the source is the prime culprit!

No, intake of sugar, white flour, corn syrup isn't the problem except maaaaaybe in a small percentage of folks.

That baloney you hear or read in so-called 'self-help' books regarding lard butts is bogus for the most part.

Laziness, lack of physical activity, couch potato-enter-itis....now that's a sugar cane stock of a different color...

Heck, if people did no more than walk a mile or two a day (not moseying, but like they're trying to get somewhere) fat-asses would instead be slim derrieres...

As to Americans being tubs o'guts, they ain't alone. Look at all the western industrialized nations and their people - most all blubber butts cuz they hate to get off the sidewalk.

But ok nancy, wring yer dainty little hands and eat something exotic, fancy and ludicrously expensive, but don't, for heaven's sake, break a sweat. Why you could ruin your poseur logger shirt with unsightly underarm stains, not to mention wrinkling your new boots that have never seen a chain saw or real dirt...

Now, to sit down to eat a monstrous size bowl of ice cream, belch, then go out split some firewood for the upcoming winter.

P.S. yes, it's get moderately cold in Texas come December and I burn lots of oak. One cuz it's fun, keeps me warm, looks and sounds beautiful and po's the greenie dips...sticks. Though that ilk isn't in my neighborhood, but it's the thought that counts.

Nobody is gonna live forever.

I have sympathy for those afflicted with diabetes. It's a life-changing experience.

My problem is I can't eat ANYTHING. Or shouldn't, for a number of reasons.

1. Bad stomach, makes too much acid yet doesn't like to move the food along. So, "Don't eat fatty foods, don't eat spicy foods." "Eat smaller meals more often."

2. Bad bowels, don't like many things. Green leafy vegetables are out. Grainy things (supposedly good for you, right?) go right through. Seedy things go right through.

3. Old, fragile teeth don't like gnawing on hard, fresh vegetables like carrot sticks (don't digest, come out looking just like they went it), fresh apples (full of sugar), etc.

4. Although my own blood sugar reading is right on the beam, we're "not supposed" to eat sugary things which leaves out all breads, baked goods, crusts, not to mention powered and sticky additives. Meaning sugar and syrup, which are ubiquitous in manufactured foods along with modified food starches. Doctor sometimes asks me about diet, things like, "Are you getting enough fresh fruit?" Sugar right there but not as bad as C&H. Sugar free substitute foods usually taste bad enough to my palate not to rate consumption.

So I have choices.

a. Starve to death.

b. Put a 9mm bullet through my head.

c. Eat something, no matter what and suffer the consequences.

So far, I've chosen letter "a." My wife is a life-long dieter. She is also a pretty good cook. She prepares meals that are healthy and nutritious for the most part. My downfall is that bag of chips or Franz Party Animals.

The worst food you can eat on all counts? That frozen, pre-made crud that they fill the freezer cases with at gro. stores. People buy it because it's easy. They don't have to spend much time on it or they're too lazy to cook more healthy meals. Which wouldn't be hard to accomplish even if you're a bad cook. Most of that frozen crud doesn't even taste good. And never looks in reality like the picture on the box. Full of chemicals and sugars.

Here, my wife uses Stevia. I've used Truvia. Also powdered coconut sugar crystals. I sneak in some C&H sometimes for augmentation.

My mom died a couple of years ago. One of the things I brought home from her place, a bottle of "Aunt Betty's" special syrup. I think it was made from rice. My mom marked it on the back when she got it, 4-2010. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago. Probably isn't any healthier than corn syrup but it was still good.

I don't take alcohol so at least I don't have that to consider in my diet.

No, intake of sugar, white flour, corn syrup isn't the problem except maaaaaybe in a small percentage of folks.

That baloney you hear or read in so-called 'self-help' books regarding lard butts is bogus for the most part.

Laziness, lack of physical activity, couch potato-enter-itis....now that's a sugar cane stock of a different color...

Heck, if people did no more than walk a mile or two a day (not moseying, but like they're trying to get somewhere) fat-asses would instead be slim derrieres...

As to Americans being tubs o'guts, they ain't alone. Look at all the western industrialized nations and their people - most all blubber butts cuz they hate to get off the sidewalk.

But ok nancy, wring yer dainty little hands and eat something exotic, fancy and ludicrously expensive, but don't, for heaven's sake, break a sweat. Why you could ruin your poseur logger shirt with unsightly underarm stains, not to mention wrinkling your new boots that have never seen a chain saw or real dirt...

Now, to sit down to eat a monstrous size bowl of ice cream, belch, then go out split some firewood for the upcoming winter.

P.S. yes, it's get moderately cold in Texas come December and I burn lots of oak. One cuz it's fun, keeps me warm, looks and sounds beautiful and po's the greenie dips...sticks. Though that ilk isn't in my neighborhood, but it's the thought that counts.

Having a good diet is good. Getting exercise is good. Good diet and exercise is optimal. The fact that refined sugar and simple carbs is bad for you and is the biggest contributor to visceral fat isn't even debatable. Its settled science, period.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top