JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed a couple of folks that popped up and promptly disappeared this week, similar to what happened last quarter. I'm guessing they got banned, or deleted their accounts while they went "REEEE! REEEE! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"-ing to their favorite basement. But if banned, I wonder if there's an option to keep them around. Restrict their posting to a single sub-forum ("The Monkey Cage") where they can fling their poo at any passers by, and any normal person who wants to stop by, feed them peanuts, or just watch the poo-flinging can hang out. It wouldn't be a publicly displayed forum, just have to navigate to it somewhere under Off Topic.

Now, I get the thought that the goal is to keep the violent insurrectionists/anarchists off the site - and for the most part I agree. But I also wonder if it's better to contain them in a cage so we can keep an eye on 'em.

Anyway, that's this morning's thought before I head to the gym. Happy Saturday.

No.
That forum would be divisive at best...and the comments / postings would continue to spill over into the rest of the forum.

Also something to consider...
If the moderators had the power to move folks over to the so called "Monkey Cage" forum...
What would prevent them from moving you or anyone else there...?
One man's troll is another man's "out of the box" thinker...
Andy

Monkeys can be rude, crude and disgusting that's for sure. But there's no reason to be comparing them the likes of some of the fly-bys that come and go here. I think, not that I expect it to happen Andy, that a better name for the sub-forum would be "The Out House". More appropriate place to keep the turds.

Smokey this is not Nam...this is NWFA . There are rules.:D

One of which is to be excellent to each other
Another one which applies here is :
Divisive , negative , offensive , nonfactual or inappropriate content is prohibited.

If any of the above is allowed in one forum...then it will continue to creep into the other forums.

Report trolls , they will be dealt with.
Andy

The goal of trolls is disrupting conversations to "cancel" ideas that don't align with theirs.

They will find a way to push people's buttons and in turn have a moderator push the button to close a thread.

Rinse, repeat... the troll's mission is complete.

-Robert

No.
That forum would be divisive at best...and the comments / postings would continue to spill over into the rest of the forum.

Also something to consider...
If the moderators had the power to move folks over to the so called "Monkey Cage" forum...
What would prevent them from moving you or anyone else there...?
One man's troll is another man's "out of the box" thinker...
Andy
There's nothing stopping them, just like there's nothing stopping mods from editing/deleting posts today depending on their own personal slide rules for what meets the bar of rule violation or not. That's the inherent risk of a moderation team, and that risk is no different today as it was yesterday or tomorrow.

There's nothing stopping them, just like there's nothing stopping mods from editing/deleting posts today depending on their own personal slide rules for what meets the bar of rule violation or not. That's the inherent risk of a moderation team, and that risk is no different today as it was yesterday or tomorrow.
I disagree....
In any event as I also posted....Of far more importance :
A sub forum like what you have suggested would be against forum rules.

Report trolls and the trolls will be dealt with.
Andy

Last Edited:
Why would anyone wanna keep Trolls around once discovered, all they do is stir things up, get their jollies out of causing as much trouble as they can before getting banned, and worst of all, getting good threads shut down!
I say swing the great Ban Hammer as hard as possible, and watch the troll scamper off tail between tits legs, n'ver to return!

While I don't envy the job the mods have to do in order to "keep peace" I also find it incredibly frustrating that good threads continue to get locked due to trolls trashing them with their utter insanity and BS!
Why does that behavior continue to be allowed instead of banning the OBVIOUS offender and keeping the thread open?
Just my 2 pence worth!

Simple answer here :

Do not engage or attempt to talk / discuss / etc....with the troll....
All that does is make for many postings in a thread to not be in line with forum rules...
Which will shut the thread down.

Stop engaging with trolls....report them.
Andy

Last Edited:
While I don't envy the job the mods have to do in order to "keep peace" I also find it incredibly frustrating that good threads continue to get locked due to trolls trashing them with their utter insanity and BS!
Why does that behavior continue to be allowed instead of banning the OBVIOUS offender and keeping the thread open?
Just my 2 pence worth!

Yep. Many have pointed out this very thing.

Here's an analogy that makes me question the logic of the world today. (Fill in the blank with "words / ideas / guns / etc".)

We enjoy our ____, collecting and sharing them, using them safely, passing on knowledge and know how to others. We all have our own reasons for needing/wanting ____, but at the end of the day we respect each other regardless.

We're all having a good time. But, then, someone comes along and uses their ____ with the intention to harm others. And it happens again, and again, regardless of reports and discussions.

So the question becomes, what does one do to stop this "non excellent" usage of ____?

Do we take away the ____ from the person with ill intent? Or do we take away all the ____ from everyone, because of that one person who was skirting the rules in the first place?

Certain demographics want to take away everyone's ____, in the name of "safety", when we all know it's about control. They could be intentionally using ____ in harmful ways to help push their agendas, and stop everyone from being able to have their own ____.

-Robert

Here's an analogy that makes me question the logic of the world today. (Fill in the blank with "words / ideas / guns / etc".)

We enjoy our ____, collecting and sharing them, using them safely, passing on knowledge and know how to others. We all have our own reasons for needing/wanting ____, but at the end of the day we respect each other regardless.

We're all having a good time. But, then, someone comes along and uses their ____ with the intention to harm others. And it happens again, and again, regardless of reports and discussions.

So the question becomes, what does one do to stop this "non excellent" usage of ____?

Do we take away the ____ from the person with ill intent? Or do we take away all the ____ from everyone, because of that one person who was skirting the rules in the first place?

Certain demographics want to take away everyone's ____, in the name of "safety", when we all know it's about control. They could be intentionally using ____ in harmful ways to help push their agendas, and stop everyone from being able to have their own ____.

-Robert
Spot on sir!

-Robert
Andy is right, if we don't report a troll, it takes longer for the Staff to chase it down and give it the boot! I'm guilty of bustin on Trolls for the shear fun of it, but I'm also not helping by doing it, feeding the frenzy isn't making things better. Best thing is to simply ignore and report ( I gotta work on this meself) as it's best for everyone! At the end of the day, we are our own best first line of defense, this forum belongs to all of us, so defending it must come first, and that means calling attention to Trolls and other bad actors so that Joe can handle things!

Andy is right, if we don't report a troll, it takes longer for the Staff to chase it down and give it the boot! I'm guilty of bustin on Trolls for the shear fun of it, but I'm also not helping by doing it, feeding the frenzy isn't making things better. Best thing is to simply ignore and report ( I gotta work on this meself) as it's best for everyone! At the end of the day, we are our own best first line of defense, this forum belongs to all of us, so defending it must come first, and that means calling attention to Trolls and other bad actors so that Joe can handle things!
If good members just stated their opinion to a nasty (temporary) member. One of those that is obviously working for a reaction. And left it at that. No more quotes. No feeding the fire, just let 'em sit there. Being ignored. That would be fun too. Watch them work to get reactions and no one responds further.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews