JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Newberg has had several nights where it reached 31-32F. Came at just about the worst time. Usually I have plums to give away after canning and drying my fill, but this year might not have any.

What say you about your fruit/nut trees, grapes, berries, etc.?

Newberg has had several nights where it reached 31-32F. Came at just about the worst time. Usually I have plums to give away after canning and drying my fill, but this year might not have any.

What say you about your fruit/nut trees, grapes, berries, etc.?

I work for a fruit marketing company and we deal with a commodity that is in bloom currently. All of our growers are super concerned. I drove through the upper Hood River valley. It made me nervous after seeing the snow on the ground.
Part of the issue is bees won't fly when it's to cold.
Last years crops were crazy because of the high heat for extended periods.
This presents a different challenge.

I call this "cherry blossom weather." It seems that most years there is inclement weather at the time the fruit trees blossom. Usually, enough blossoms get pollenated that there is a crop, but sometimes it results in crop failure.

Winters have become milder in my lifetime, but "cherry blossom weather" remains a constant part of Spring.

I have been wondering about this year's pollination issues as well. I think the plums should be alright due to so many in the area and pollen getting blown around but blueberries mostly need bees and they are not flying. Glad I don't make a living from this kind of stuff, and wish the orchardists well.

I have been wondering about this year's pollination issues as well. I think the plums should be alright due to so many in the area and pollen getting blown around but blueberries mostly need bees and they are not flying. Glad I don't make a living from this kind of stuff, and wish the orchardists well.

Our crop estimates should be coming in 3-4 weeks. That is when we will be able to look back on historical documents and to do the compare/contrast thing.
Until then, everyone is hoping for the best.

If everyone really wants to help, buy American grown produce. With a globalized economy our markets get flooded with produce from other parts of the world. You would be amazed.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top