JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tonight I went down to the moms demand action in Eugene. The scariest part was getting out of my truck, knowing there were at least 40 of them and 1 of me. They were dressed in orange, I was in my black company polo with guns on the chest. I milled around at first quite intimidated, I met a gentleman named Harry. He was very inviting, I explained to him why I was there. I gave him a brochure about my kids safety class. He was very open to my ideas. I made some new friends all while carrying a Glock 43 discretely iwb. Lots of lies but in all I'm glad I went. This is where it begins, if I can change their hearts I have hope to get my class in local schools.

image.jpeg

Excellent! Maybe exposing them the idea that not all gun owners are bad, and to what real gun safety is, might just educate a few of them.

Good luck with that! Those types minds are so extremely closed off I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting through. I speak from experience as a couple of my clients are of the mind that guns are pure evil. "I don't know why anyone would need an "Assault" rifle", and "If I never touched or saw a gun I could be a happy person". Actual quotes!

Well that mindset isn't to far from theirs. To really make a change the shrillness on both sides needs to calm down.

Well that mindset isn't to far from theirs. To really make a change the shrillness on both sides needs to calm down.

I'm not one of the "Shrill" ones from our side, that's for sure. I've just seen first hand the mindset. I've tried by telling, no, pleading, with a gal to PLEASE, just do the research rather than just listen to the media and the "anti's". No I just sit and shake my head for the most part. If anyone of the anti's would appear to want to learn you better bet I'd be all over that!

Good luck with that! Those types minds are so extremely closed off I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting through.

Your right. For some there will never be education.

But I have talked to a few who are in it because they care, but don't know what else to do or go. And they feel compelled to 'do something'. And they at first swallow up everything they are told to believe because they don't know any differently. A couple of times I've politely gave them just enough information (no need to overwhelm them with info) to give them pause that maybe everything they've been told isn't exactly on board with the truth.

It's rare, but it does happen.

I'm pissed at the whole wear orange thing. I work road construction and wear Orange tee shirts every day and I don't want anyone thinking I am supporting these people or their ideas.

Mark, you could always pull out an N frame revolver, or 1911, trace it a couple of times front and back of the T-shirt, and color it in with magic marker?

It's rare, but it does happen.

boy thats a tough one. I agree its rare but can happen but my personal experiences over many years are the same a MikeJ's comments. I've been insulted and berated even among some that I've considered friends. Its almost like some anti-gunners have Stockholm Syndrome to gun control, they refuse to even consider the idea of researching the facts on their own points or even understanding the opposing point of views.... I try to be the optimist but my experiences tell my the glass is half empty on gun control.

There was a time when I would attempt to discuss gun issues with liberals (if I was drawn into it) but for the most part my experience is they do not want to listen to any reason or rational. They already 'know' what needs to be done and it does not include anything 'reasonable'. The bottom line is the 'left' are getting worse and the most extreme suggest some of the most bizarre and unrealistic opinions on what 'should' be done. Trust me - I have a relative who is in this category and for him there is no education or understanding of facts.

BTW, despite my negativity I do applaud the OP for being proactive and taking action. I do think its necessary to represent our side in a respectful manner however one decides to do it.

Tonight I went down to the moms demand action in Eugene.

When you understand the structure of the antigun movement you will understand why that approach is a waste of time. Morally satisfying, to be sure. But a waste. Please read on.

1) The antigun agenda is being driven by political extremists of both the Right and the Left who want to see (us!) peasants disarmed. The Left's extremists so the Government can do whatever it wants to us after our means to resist has been removed. The Right's extremists (somewhat fewer) so that the rich and powerful can feel safer - and more powerful.

There are a handful of "true believers" who genuinely believe, or at least profess to believe, that guns are bad. John McCain comes to mind. Lenin called these people "useful idiots."

None of these will not be swayed by reason for their goal is a political one, which to them supersedes all reason and morality.

2) The antigun foot-soldiers are overwhelmingly women, for various reasons. Some hard-core political operatives. Most most are just emotionalized hangers-on. Many bitter old Oprahsows just hate men at heart and guns are something men like. You'll see that a lot. The biggest umbrella anti-gun organization in Oregon is the NOW gang. The National Organization of Women - as venomous a collection of left-wing moonbat men-hating feminazis as ever wore jackboots.

Most men are not so easily swayed by emotion. Ever notice you've NEVER seen a "Dads Demand Action" antigun protest? Or a "Million Dad March"? Nope. All women.

The point to these is they are these women are an extremely small, dysfunctional minority anyway. They are made visible only by their Praetorian guard of news and entertainment media. Convince a dozen gals to change their attitude toward guns and it will make no visible difference. The TV cameras will be there no matter how small their turnout.

Remember "Reason cannot displace what reason did not put in place." You cannot hope to match the lynch-mob anti-gun emotionality of the TV shows these women are exposed to for hundreds of hours a year. The demagogs there can lie and manipulate to a degree almost beyond belief.

Spend your (finite!) time and energy on this earth trying to reach and inform (!) minds and hearts that are not already closed to us. Teaching children gunsafe classes to families is an OUTSTANDING way to do this. If you are careful, you can embed a few key bits of truth in your presentation that can vaccinate the parents against the Brady Bunch's lies and manipulation. You'll have to gentle and subtle and intersperse the facts among safety talk, or you'll be preaching instead of teaching. But it can be done. :)

A few facts to consider weaving into your class:

All nine US Supreme Court justices in Heller agreed UNANIMOUSLY that the 2nd Amendment describes an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT not a collective one. The place four of the justices disagreed was how much restriction could be put upon that right, NOT that the RKBA is an individual right.

Guns in America and American households owning guns are at an historic high and have been climbing steadily for years. Contrast that to a violent crime rate that has been falling for the last 20 years. I.e. NO, MORE GUNS DO NOT EQUAL MORE CRIME.

All the mass shootings in the last six years have taken place in GUN FREE ZONES. Just more proof that disarming the law-abiding does NOTHING to stop the lawless.

Every time some Moonbat starts squawking about a new proposed gun law, your students should first ask the Prozanski types "How would your proposed law have stopped ANY of the mass shootings of the last ten years, that you claim justify the need for more gun laws?" Usual answer: IT WOULDN'T - AT ALL. ALL of the mass shooters of the past decade either acquired their guns illegally OR passed a legal background check. The real objective of such proposed laws is to punish and harass legal gun ownership.

You might explain the lie that "a gun in the home is X times more likely to kill a family member than a criminal" lie. It's from the "Seattle Study" and was biased and worthless the day it was published, almost 35 years ago. Firearm deaths have plummeted since then - mostly due to safety classes taught by NRA-certified instructors.

By the way, how many safety classes have Floyd Prozansky and Val Hoyle taught??? Yeah, how bout that?

How "Assault Rifle" was a perverted usage of a military technical term and by now has progressed from obscure to meaningless. There are great humorous graphics around showing how the MSM calls EVERYTHING an AK47/AR15/assault rifle these days.

I could go on for a LONG time. There are LOTS more "vaccination facts". Perhaps others reading this thread could suggest some more.

Good luck. :)

personally, I dont think the OPs actions are a waste of time. He may or may not change a vote but he does represent and set an example that causes one to think and understand the other side, ours.

Its no different than if someone sees you handle a gun responsibly or be respectful in a 2A debate when the other side is often insulting and even agressive.

Most of my jaded opinions come from the overall picture of the topic. I do think its of the utmost importance that all of us represent responsible and ethical gun owners.

The OP is doing a lot more for gun rights than myself and I dare say many here, if every gun owner did this it would make a huge impact. I applaud and ecourage his efforts.

This is where you all miss the boat. This is apolitical, this is not a left issue or a right. This is a kids safety issue. I'm coming up the middle appealing to both sides, like it or not our guns aren't going anywhere. As much as they hate my guns they don't have a leg to stand on. It's about the kids. You all can either be on board or I do go alone. I've put everything in place to have this put in schools. I will not fail.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews