JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man I am happy this thread was posted. I have guns passed down from my grandpa, Dad, uncle that are all very dear to me and I am clearly not doing enough to ensure they keep going to other generations like my nephew, his kids. I will be buying a few of the recommended products here. Thanks all

Exactly! It's worth considering that for MOST of our grandfathers (and Grandmothers too), they pulled these classics out regularly to use. Unlike most on this board who I suspect have a lot of different ones, they only had a few and those had to be in tip top condition. They regularly would pull them out and oil them as part of regular things to do. Before TV, people use to do things like this in lieu of spacing out in the evening. Furthermore, they'd often carry them on the range and there were Coyotes to be put down or bears and lions to chase off the calves in the spring. So rifles got pulled out and oiled all the time in between deer and elk season when they were needed for sure.

These days, you get it sighted in and then tucked away. Most of us work in offices and cities and not in the country. We are a tad disconnected to the land and to the need to keep them handy and operable (unless you're a peace officer of course), so if we are not consciously pulling them out and oiling (or Slip 2000ewl or applying Eezox) them regularly .....which, given the humidity, rust will develop. My grandpa would be stoked to see my stuff. He use to get a deer every year with a older (somewhat low end and crappy) 30-30 with iron sights and a loose stock which was almost a 100 years old. Every year. They were tools that got used. Today, not so much like it was back then for most of us. Thankfully:)

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads