JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good topic ! I bought my first gun safe about 6 months ago. I bought 2 Golden rods and a couple of the rechargeable dessicant gadgets. I also bought an electronic humidity meter.

I tried to do my own little science project. I would turn off , or removal different combinations of all of these gadgets. Even removed all of them. For days at a time and kept track of the humity levels in the safe and in the room.

Results.....seemed to indicate that none of the gadgets were particularly effective in reducing humidity ( when it was already in the 30-40% range)......The main determinant was room humidity. The humidity in the room was always reflected by the humidity in the safe. Sometimes humidity would be ~ 5 % less , but not reliably.....

I absolutely could not prove much effectiveness of any of these gadgets...... Their effectiveness might be more obvious in a more humid environment....I just don't know.....

It would be great if someone would try their own experiments and report back !! mike

The golden rod (I use them) don't reduce/remove humidity but instead cause air flow (which is good) though convection and keep the dew point (where moisture will condense) higher in the safe than outside of the safe. With air flow and no condensation it really doesn't matter what the relative humidity in the safe might be... just my $0.02.

The golden rod (I use them) don't reduce/remove humidity but instead cause air flow (which is good) though convection and keep the dew point (where moisture will condense) higher in the safe than outside of the safe. With air flow and no condensation it really doesn't matter what the relative humidity in the safe might be... just my $0.02.

Many Thanks ! That's the kind of explanation that I've been looking for....makes sense ! mike

Haven't tried this but it was a good idea. Power up a low wattage light bulb in the safe. Provides heat for air flow / preventing condensation and light.

I have a couple of the Remington rechargeable dehumidifiers. As well, I work at a software company. The guy who does our local hardware support gives me all the silica gel packs that come in from from all the components, so I have a bucket of silica in there, too.

I recharge the rechargeables when the indicator starts turning pink. I have a hygrometer in the safe and bake the silica whenever the the hygrometer starts sneaking above about 55% and the rechargeables can't handle it.

Works pretty well. I'd use a goldenrod or low wattage light, but I don't have wiring to the safe.

I've been using Dri-Z-Air and DampRid for about 3 years now with no issues but I worry about spilling the water. I'm going to try silica desiccant next, no outlet for golden rod.

If I recall correctly, this setup cost me about $7 at Bimart. The Dr-Z Air basket comes with one bag of crystals and lasts for a couple of months. A "milk carton" of replacement crystals costs about $5 or so and will last over a year. When I see that the crystals have mostly dissolved, I just pick up the basket, pour out the water, and replace the crystals with fresh ones. Its simple, its cheap and it works.

null_zps739787fc.jpg

I may be crazy but I have not done anything but throw in the little packs from costco pill bottles, vitamins. I take the guns out and clean, oil at least once a month and have not had any issues as of yet. It sounds like I should grab a couple Golden Rods from all the folks on here that say they use them.

As someone else said, remember that the 'golden rods' do not remove humidity from the air, they merely raise the dew point to stop it condensing on the guns.

I do recommend a small humidity meter, otherwise you've no idea if your stuff is working. I use this:

Amazon.com - AcuRite 613 Indoor Humidity Monitor - Weather Stations

I also recommend the re-chargeable silica packs, 1) because they change colour to show they're working and when you need to 're-charge' them, and 2) because you can re-charge them very easily, unlike just buying or re-using packs of regular silica. I use this:

Amazon.com - Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer - Dehumidifiers

If you can't see the packs operating (because most, especially those found in electronics boxes, don't show how full of water/used they are) then you've no idea if things are working.
If you don't know if the humidity is down to a low level, then you don't know if what your'e doing is enough OR working for you.

That's why i use those two products.

Man I am happy this thread was posted. I have guns passed down from my grandpa, Dad, uncle that are all very dear to me and I am clearly not doing enough to ensure they keep going to other generations like my nephew, his kids. I will be buying a few of the recommended products here. Thanks all

I have a 5$ humidity meter and two remington rem-packs...pr whatever they call them. Their rechargeable de-humidifiers, and I only have to dry them out once every 3-5 months.

My humidity never seems to get over 60% in the safe.

A little off topic, but: I'm currently installing electrical to my Wal-mart black-friday stack-on safe. 15-ft Christmas extension cord ($2.00), a four outlet powerstrip from harbor freight ($3.60) and I'll be picking up the outside gomet and inside plug cover and 3/8" cable tie-downs from the hardware supply store this evening to make it all look pretty (~$4-5?). Hardest part was measuring, and checking it twice, to drilling the hole in the right place and size in the back of the safe. Would like to get some fire tape or foam to shove in the hole as well.

So with a little time, and as little as $10-15 in materials, you too can run an electrical outlet to your safe!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top