JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So with the passing of my FIL a couple months ago, I've been slowly inheriting some stuff - both of his, and some of my late brother in law's as well. The newest addition to that is a Glock 22. I've owned a few of these over the years, along with a couple other .40 pistols (a Walther, a Beretta, a Sig) - but I've avoided the .40 for years, as I just prefer .45's or 9mm. Back when I wanted to own / carry a .40, I always leaned toward the tradition heavy & slow loadings - Winchester 180 grain in the USA (White Box) in FMJ or JHP, or SXT's for a fancier defense load. While I'm still open to the idea of trading the .40 off for a different 9 or a .45 I may just keep it around, as there is a lot of .40 stuff available since LE agencies have dumped the .40 by and large in favor of 9's (If you like Sigs, and you're not opposed to a .40 - you can get very good condition P229s or 226's for well under $500 all over these days)

So if I keep this thing, I want to stoke it with some decent ammo and keep it as a defensive pistol option. I haven't kept up a lot with the direction the .40 loads have gone - I know I've seen a lot of 155 or 165 grain stuff on store shelves, and not as much of the 180s like I used to see. I've also gravitated to mid weight or even lighter weight bullets in my .45's - my all time favorite .45ACP defensive load is a 200 grain Hornady FTX, followed close by the 200 grain Cor Bon original JHP +P load. I think the last time I carried a .40, I was running Federal Hydra Shoks in 165 grains, but I don't exactly remember, its been years.

Those of you oddballs who tote a .40 these days, what are you running? Are the rounds in .40 today markedly better than the stuff from 10 or 15 years ago (the last time I seriously messed with .40s)? Or should I just go find some UMC or White Box 180 grain JHP's and call it good?

I generally run 180gr Gold Dots or Federal HST socially.

For range, I bought deep a couple years ago and now days shoot more 45. Mostly Blazer Brass, WWB, Speer Lawman all in 180gr. Have no problems with the Blazer and WWB (the Lawman is pretty old and it is inconsistant).

I own a bunch of .40s, mostly compact-sized Smith and Wesson Gen3s, which I run Federal 180gr HST ammo for SD. I have a Walther PPS40 that I have loaded with Magtech Guardian 180gr. The Magtech has a bit more giddy-up and goes than the Federal, but the shorter barrel on the Walther tends to temper its enthusiasm. The Federal is my favorite .40S&W ammo and will be the only SD ammo in the house after I've shot up the Magtech.

I check this when I see ammo on sale for the best option... Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data

I own a bunch of .40s, mostly compact-sized Smith and Wesson Gen3s, which I run Federal 180gr HST ammo for SD. I have a Walther PPS40 that I have loaded with Magtech Guardian 180gr. The Magtech has a bit more giddy-up and goes than the Federal, but the shorter barrel on the Walther tends to temper its enthusiasm. The Federal is my favorite .40S&W ammo and will be the only SD ammo in the house after I've shot up the Magtech.

I check this when I see ammo on sale for the best option... Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data

That Lucky Gunner link was great, thanks!

After perusing @dcfranzen 's link to the Lucky Gunner testing chart - it looks like the 180's are the best performers in both penetration and expansion testing - The Federal HST, Federal Hydra Shok, Remington Ultimate Defense, and the Remington Golden Sabre were the top performers for expansion in the FBI standard penetration window.

I was surprised to see how piss poor the Speer Gold Dot did in 165 grain flavor - those that opened up (not all did) didn't even average out to any larger diameter than they started, the average expanded diameter was 0.40" :eek: their 155 and 180 offerings performed way better. I used to carry Gold Dots almost exclusively.

One thing I didn't see was test data for the Sig 180 grain V-Crown - they have the 165 grain load data - it offers ok expansion with more penetration than one may like. No data on the 180's. I've taken to liking Sig's ammo in my 9mm - it shoots really well in the guns I've tried it in in both 124 and 147 grain 9mm flavor, and in .45ACP 230 grain flavor. My M&P 9 is loaded with the 124 grain stuff right now. Interestingly enough - the 165 grain .40 V-crown showed similar expansion to the 124 grain 9mm - with the .40 expanding to .57" and the 9mm expanding to .52" but the 9mm stayed within the FBI 12-18" spec.

That chart gave me lots to think about, but it looks like bullets that I've carried in other calibers before are the way to go in the .40, and it seems that sticking to the light or heavy end of the spectrum like I did before (probably sticking to the heavier end) is the way to go. I'm thinking Santa might be looking to deliver some Remington UD or Federal HST's this Christmas! :D

After perusing @dcfranzen 's link to the Lucky Gunner testing chart - it looks like the 180's are the best performers in both penetration and expansion testing - The Federal HST, Federal Hydra Shok, Remington Ultimate Defense, and the Remington Golden Sabre were the top performers for expansion in the FBI standard penetration window.

I was surprised to see how piss poor the Speer Gold Dot did in 165 grain flavor - those that opened up (not all did) didn't even average out to any larger diameter than they started, the average expanded diameter was 0.40" :eek: their 155 and 180 offerings performed way better. I used to carry Gold Dots almost exclusively.

One thing I didn't see was test data for the Sig 180 grain V-Crown - they have the 165 grain load data - it offers ok expansion with more penetration than one may like. No data on the 180's. I've taken to liking Sig's ammo in my 9mm - it shoots really well in the guns I've tried it in in both 124 and 147 grain 9mm flavor, and in .45ACP 230 grain flavor. My M&P 9 is loaded with the 124 grain stuff right now. Interestingly enough - the 165 grain .40 V-crown showed similar expansion to the 124 grain 9mm - with the .40 expanding to .57" and the 9mm expanding to .52" but the 9mm stayed within the FBI 12-18" spec.

That chart gave me lots to think about, but it looks like bullets that I've carried in other calibers before are the way to go in the .40, and it seems that sticking to the light or heavy end of the spectrum like I did before (probably sticking to the heavier end) is the way to go. I'm thinking Santa might be looking to deliver some Remington UD or Federal HST's this Christmas! :D

Personal Experience:

With my .40 I was carrying with the Sig V-Crown 165 gr for about 3 years. But after seeing multiple test results showing comparable-insignificant expansion , not being consistent in performance, and very low energy factory, I decided to carry the Remington Golden Sabre 165gr (non-bonded).

The V-Crown in 124gr 9mm, now that is a good performing cartridge with higher energy w/o going +P, I carry these in my G26.

All this being said, they will all poke holes well, but its all about what you will be comfortable with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top