JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been watching videos on target setup and safety. Bet some of you have safety stories to tell. I do. I needed something I could setup and tare down easily. I didn't want chains holding the steel as it rattles around in the back of the truck. I tried the aluminum saw horse brackets but they bend too easily. Rope end up splitting half way through a session. I did see steel 2x4 hangers I might try. I also may get shepard hooks for secondary mounts when the soil is soft but I have limited space for storage. I am liking these plastic saw horse adapters with wingnut. Takes a minute to set up alone but not too bad. I wanted the steel about 3-4 foot off the ground to clear sagebrush. The tarp straps are disposable so not a big deal if they get beat up. 2x4s are easily replaced. The idea was to be able to take down and get in my truck and store compactly. Now I need something for paper targets. The metal Birchwood H platforms seem to bulky for me. overall inexpensive and does the job. Any improvements welcome. I can lengthen the top board and mount multiple targets but I prefer the targets spread out more.

Note: It's not that crooked :) just the picture

target1.jpg target2.jpg

I use this for paper.
Don't glue the cross member for easy takedown.

One 10 foot piece of 1-1/2" PVC makes the stand.
6 x 16" pieces and 24" cross member.
4ea Tees
1x2 verts .....I use 6' long per each so I can do double targets
Cardboard backer
4 large size paper clasps

6-10-19 1024.png

For steel we use a set-up like this.
Based on EMT (elec conduit).....get the 1" size, not the 3/4" (too flimsy)
You can get end frames as shown, for 100% 1" EMT.
Or a hybrid which uses 1" EMT legs and an "on edge" 2x4

Hangers can be anything that you can think up.

0vaW1hZ2VzL0kvNzFTTlhLR1BERkwuX0FDX1NMMTAwMF8uanBn.jpg

If possible avoid rebar....not rigid enough and too heavy to pack around.

I have a shooting buddy that somehow manages to shoot my EMT and end frames.
Make your cross member wide enough to keep the end frames out of the "kill zone".
I use 5' for everything.....buy 10 footers and cut them in half.

Last Edited:
I've got some shoot steel stuff. I was originally playing with the sawhorses, but have since switched to the EMT tube kits and IPSC stands.

I absolutely swear by these. Used to have a bunch before I stopped going to the woods to shoot.

1650648667210.jpeg

They are made out of that similar plastic that the resealable targets are. 6 pieces of rebar and you are good to go.

T post mounts are also becoming my favorite of I go to the woods. A lot easier than a stand and 2x4s.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top