JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do you decide what accuracy is worth cost wise in a particular rifle? For example if you purchase a budget hunting rifle and it achieves 1 MOA out of the box with an ammo it likes, how do you decide how much to spend to cut that down to 1/2 MOA, 1/4 MOA or even one ragged hole?

Everything I buy is budget:)

Well I guess I'm confused by your OP then. If you are wondering how much to spend to get tighter groups with a budget rifle wouldn't it make more sense to spend a little more on the gun initially?

Depends on what you are shooting at and how far. A 1 MOA rifle is conceivably a 600 yard deer rifle if its a TRUE 1 MOA rifle. A 1 MOA rifle is marginal for ground squirrels at 300 yards. Much smaller target. A 2 MOA rifle is easily effective on human size targets at 800 yards.

SO, you have to think about what the goal is and get to the point where your rifle is consistently able to achieve that with you being the only variable. For a big game rifle in field conditions, I can't reliably hit a vital area on a deer much past 400 yards under ideal conditions with my prefered rifles. I like lighter rifles with good handling characteristics vs long range guns for my style of hunting. I can achieve that with a rifle I can consistently shoot 2 MOA at 400 yards. If I get there, whats the point in dumping more money into the gun?

Well I guess I'm confused by your OP then. If you are wondering how much to spend to get tighter groups with a budget rifle wouldn't it make more sense to spend a little more on the gun initially?
I guess my question is, if you have any rifle that is capable of 1 MOA out of the box, how much are you will to spend to cut that in half, etc?

Personally I wouldn't dump money into a 1MOA budget hunting rifle. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they are what they are. I'd save my money for a better quality rifle.

@No_Regerts makes some good points. A 1MOA hunting rifle can be quite effective.

Depends on what you are shooting at and how far. A 1 MOA rifle is conceivably a 600 yard deer rifle if its a TRUE 1 MOA rifle. A 1 MOA rifle is marginal for ground squirrels at 300 yards. Much smaller target. A 2 MOA rifle is easily effective on human size targets at 800 yards.

SO, you have to think about what the goal is and get to the point where your rifle is consistently able to achieve that with you being the only variable. For a big game rifle in field conditions, I can't reliably hit a vital area on a deer much past 400 yards under ideal conditions with my prefered rifles. I like lighter rifles with good handling characteristics vs long range guns for my style of hunting. I can achieve that with a rifle I can consistently shoot 2 MOA at 400 yards. If I get there, whats the point in dumping more money into the gun?
Target shooting is the purpose.

Unless you have developed some significant skill at marksmanship, the majority of factory rifle/sight/ammo systems will out perform you. Working on developing a higher level of physical conditioning and marksmanship fundamentals will pay off far more than dropping money for that additional 1/4 minute accuracy.

First off, whats your guys' definition of "moa" rifle? Honest question here.

Its almost a unicorn. 3 shots into an inch at 100, to me, is not a proven MOA gun at 100. If you shoot 10 groups of 3 and one group is .5, you dont have a .5 MOA rifle.

10 cold bore shots into 1 inch at 100 would convince me, but if that gun shoots a 2.1 inch group at 200, its not MOA at 200.

Its almost a unicorn. 3 shots into an inch at 100, to me, is not a proven MOA gun at 100. If you shoot 10 groups of 3 and one group is .5, you dont have a .5 MOA rifle.

10 cold bore shots into 1 inch at 100 would convince me, but if that gun shoots a 2.1 inch group at 200, its not MOA at 200.
Bingo. I like that answer.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads