JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am fairly new to the firearm scene. I have hunted since I was old enough but haven't devoted the resources to growing my collection beyond hunting season. With the purchase of a new pistol, I am HOOKED! First trip out I was able to shoot about 200 rounds, and picked up about 2 garbage bags of trash! It helps when people are camping at the top of the quarry and I showed up at 7:30am, I gave them some time to sleep in while I set targets up and picked up for a half hour.

With a plasma cam at my disposal and some 1/4" plate I jumped right into making a dualing tree before I realized that all these plates people are shooting at are AR500, I work on cars, not metal! I have done some research and everyone says AR500, "dont shoot mild steel, dangerous." They all use rifles to blow holes in the mild steel. I have a .40 and will be shooting 180 grain fmj rounds at it with an intent to add a MarkIV to the safe in the next couple weeks. I only mention this as I am sure the 22 is likely not to dole out enough abuse to hurt the steel, not sure if it will flip the 1/4" plate though.

Is this going to be a waste of time? Will the steel not be able to take the impact?

Picture of the progress.
20180602_203818.jpg
Just need to cut some angle iron to length, weld the brackets in and build a base.

I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or experience in the matter! Last thing I want is my wife sitting in the hospital waiting to hear if my eye is going to survive with A Christmas Story running through her head. That would make the next gun purchase very difficult ;)

Mild steel will work for pistol plates, but it's not ideal. T1 steel, AR400, or AR500 would be preferred.

The angle the steel is held at can help with directing any spall or ricochets in a safe direction. Distance is also your friend, and velocity is your enemy.

The biggest thing to watch for is cratering. That's what increases the chance of a ricochet coming back at you. I have some mild steel plates that have held up to a lot of abuse, but you can feel the pock marks from the heavier rounds. The impact crater from a .357 Magnum is definetely noticeable.

By the way, mild steel does not like 12 gauge slugs at close range... :s0002:

;)

I have built a couple dueling trees for .22lr . They are mild steel and 1/4" and the 22lrs flip them just fine. A 9mm or 45acp will most likely be too much for them. They will flip then come back. It took some experimenting to find the correct weight and angle. Anyways, for .22lr you should be fine , and the way they move it shouldn't ricochet back. But safety glasses are essential. We shoot the tree two at a time and see who has the least paddles on thier side or who clears their side first wins, in 10 rounds or less.

Mild steel will work for pistol plates, but it's not ideal. T1 steel, AR400, or AR500 would be preferred.

The angle the steel is held at can help with directing any spall or ricochets in a safe direction. Distance is also your friend, and velocity is your enemy.

The biggest thing to watch for is cratering. That's what increases the chance of a ricochet coming back at you. I have some mild steel plates that have held up to a lot of abuse, but you can feel the pock marks from the heavier rounds. The impact crater from a .357 Magnum is definetely noticeable.

;)

^^^^^^^^
Spot on

;)

True about the cratering and pock marks. I've also noticed my 9mm pistols don't leave a mark like the 9mm PCC. That 16" barrel really adds some velocity and energy.

You would most likely want thicker plate for weight for larger pistol calibers then use the 500AR plate. Good luck !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top