JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an AK guy but due to Measure 114 I'm considering buying my first AR either in 5.56 or 9mm. Prices on ARs range from $400 to over $2000 and I have no idea what parts a good quality reliable AR needs to have. I saw an ad for S&W M&P 15 for just $500 but a gun store employee told me they wouldn't stabilize heavy bullets properly or something like that. My AKs seem to fire any kind of bullet reliably and with good enough accuracy out to about 150 yards. I guess I mainly want an AR in case 7.62x39 ammo becomes unavailable. Can anyone recommend some good ARs for under $1000?

As someone who owns and regularly shoots many firearms but doesn't feel the need to have an arsenal of black rifles, I'd recommend buying a quality rifle like Daniel Defense. That's assuming you don't want to buy a lower and assemble one. I've done that too but it does nothing for me. NW Armory was still stocked with DD AR's a few days ago. Not sure about now. They're over a grand but worth it if it's something you think you'll keep forever. I have no regrets about buying mine.

I saw an ad for S&W M&P 15 for just $500 but a gun store employee told me they wouldn't stabilize heavy bullets properly or something like that.
That just means it has a slow twist rate. If you plan on shooting 69s or heavier, I'd recommend a faster rate like a 1-7 (1 rotation per seven inches).

Tried and true is the Colt 6920. Good luck getting one before the cutoff. Might I recommend a flight out of state prior?
That is one of two easy buttons, the other being buy a BCM complete lower (save yourself a few bucks on the excise tax) and then buy the upper of your choice and have it shipped to your door. Black Friday IS the time to do it.

Building an AR15 lower is very very easy. In my opinion go local get an aero m4e1 stripped lower, then order a complete bcm upper or if youre on the lower $$ side an aero complete upper.

if you dont want to build the lower get a complete aero m4e1 lower, they are also available locally.

get the lower (or lowers) now and build later. Id get 2!

i cannot recommend enough the aero m4e1 lowers for new builders. Just get one.

edit: the top rifle in my avatar is a m4e1 lower with a bcm 14.5 bfh elw Upper.

Last Edited:
Building an AR15 lower is very very easy. In my opinion go local get an aero m4e1 stripped lower, then order a complete bcm upper or if youre on the lower $$ side an aero complete upper.

if you dont want to build the lower get a complete aero m4e1 lower, they are also available locally.

get the lower (or lowers) now and build later. Id get 2!

i cannot recommend enough the aero m4e1 lowers for new builders. Just get one.

edit: the top rifle in my avatar is a m4e1 lower with a bcm 14.5 bfh elw Upper.
1669165651531.jpeg

I won't buy a lower that isn't based on the standard milspec design. I don't want an integral trigger guard, a threaded bolt catch pin & takedown pin detent, tension screw or any of that other gimmicky nonsense.

View attachment 1317207

I won't buy a lower that isn't based on the standard milspec design. I don't want an integral trigger guard, a threaded bolt catch pin & takedown pin detent, tension screw or any of that other gimmicky nonsense.
sure bro... and yes imo those are all improvements and nice for first time builders with little or no tools.

imo to have a non threaded takedown pin detent on a modern lower is ignorant.

Go to your local shops. If any have stripped lowers, buy it (them). Will at least b get you in the absurd queue.

If you get instant, great!

If the shop is doing the 3 day delay thing, you would get your lower before the 8th. Great!

If it turns out you can't get it before the 8th, bummer! But your not out serious $.

Do this tomorrow...

You're too late to the big party in OR...
Late? Yes.

Too late? Hardly. However folks really don't have time to dilly dally & dawdle.

IMO even having something shipped in (if an FFL will accept it), is pretty near on passed. Some may luck out & get there's this way, most (again IMO) will not trying this route. Now.

Truly depends on if the shipper ships immediately, as in day ordered immediately. Which is excruciatingly unlikely, but possible...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top