JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i just went through this too. I have a company issued 2013 Ford Explorer that was given to me new. It now has 185,000 miles on it & it's been flawless. I love it. But, I wanted something different for a personal rig.

My wife & went SUV shopping & were determined to buy an Audi Q5. We rented one for two weeks last fall in Germany. After doing a slug of research & driving pretty much all of them we decided on a 2016 Toyota Highlander with the V-6. We've only had it a few days but are real impressed with it.

When I saw the depreciation on an Audi, BMW, & Mercedes the Highlander was the best value.

We also really liked the Honda Pilot but the Highlander seemed more sporty.

We paid cash for the Highlander so money wasn't a factor in our decision. It was all about value for dollar.

i just went through this too. I have a company issued 2013 Ford Explorer that was given to me new. It now has 185,000 miles on it & it's been flawless. I love it. But, I wanted something different for a personal rig.

My wife & went SUV shopping & were determined to buy an Audi Q5. We rented one for two weeks last fall in Germany. After doing a slug of research & driving pretty much all of them we decided on a 2016 Toyota Highlander with the V-6. We've only had it a few days but are real impressed with it.

When I saw the depreciation on an Audi, BMW, & Mercedes the Highlander was the best value.

We paid cash for the Highlander so money wasn't a factor in our decision. It was all about value for dollar.
Its crazy how much those German rigs depreciate in a short time. Ive taken advantage of that and bought used BMW and Mercedes in that past and found them to be high quality. The BreakMyWallet was expensive to repair though. Mercedes always took extremely good care of us and notified us on recalls even though we were second owners.

Toyota and Honda are hard to beat for reliability and resale.

'05 CR-V bought new Dec '04. We've got just under 80,000 with not a single problem. I maintain my two other vehicles and two boat motors but let Tonkin take care of the Honda. It's been a great car, other than road noise and suck mileage. I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm thinking of a new car, but I can't believe the prices. They ruined the CR-V IMO. A lot mot money for less room, don't have interest in a "Rounded" look if it takes interior space. All of 'em look too much alike too.

How come no ones looking at a KIA or Hyundai? From what I've heard they're a real competitor now with the big TWO, Honda/Toyota.

My wife is leasing a 2014 Honda Pilot. I drive a Tahoe. I have to say, the Pilot is impressive. It normally operates in FWD but when the front wheels spin the rears kick in automatically and then disengage when they're not needed. It's pretty sweet. She doesn't even have to think about having to use a selector switch. If needed it can lock into low transfer as well. Towing capacity is pretty substantial as well. It pull my 3/4 ton military trailer with a yard and a half of topsoil like it's not even there. Loaded with every option and full size third row. I'm 6'-3" and fit quite nicely back there.
We may buy one after the lease is up.

My wife has a Volvo V70 XC and we love it! Gas mileage is in the low 20's but that's fine for us! The Volvo XC 90 is also a great cross over and has more room then the V70, but gas mileage isn't that good! Both have tons of pulling power and that really helps, both handle like there on rails, and the brekes are first class! Hard to beat a good Volvo! That said, the repair costs are about what any other newer car is, Expensive! We blew the tranny at 170 k miles and it cost about $3200 to replace! Other then that, it's been bomb proof!

Well I don't think "mid size SUV" and "third row seat," usually go together. That seems much more like "large size SUV" to me.

And like someone else said...Toyota, Honda...and maybe Subaru. I've never owned a Sub so don't know how they old up in comparison to Toyotas and Hondas.

Toyota has several to choose from... Rav4 which is definitely on the smaller side. 4 Runner...which would satisfy your off road desires. Highlander = Soccer Mom Who Doesn't Like Mini Vans. And the big Land Cruiser = Ridiculously Expensive.

Is a 4 door truck an option? Like a 4 Door Tacoma? Lots of versatility there and you can definitely get that in 4WD.

In the Honda, you're basically looking at the Pilot.

After that...and not including Subarus (who really doesn't make a traditional SUV)...you've got the Americans like Ford Explorer or something Jeep (mechanically crappy), since you already said "no GM." I guess I'd be looking really hard at Toyota.

So, as it turns out, we're Nissan Rogue people. @SA Shooter, we ran thru most every vehicle on your list, as it sounds like our wants/needs are fairly concurrent.
After test driving many on the list, we stumbled across a "used" 2016 Rogue a Power Nissan in Salem. As it turns out, a third row of seats is an option on the latest gen Rogues. While it's not usable for anyone but small children (we have a 3 year old), and masochists (we don't have any of those), it is there. Also this particular vehicle has only 10,500 miles on it. Kind of the perfect storm of new vehicle, but without the depreciation.
After all the dickering was said and done, we drove it home for $3,800 under KBB "fair purchase price" for new, and $1,900 under used, dealer blue book. So far, we're very pleased, and we've had great luck with Datsuns in the past, having owned an '04 Titan, and a 2nd gen pathfinder. Thanks for all the opinions / advice NWFA!

Dont know if it was mentioned, but check to make sure that if your chosen car uses a CVT, there is a track record of reliability. Some CVTs are becoming highly problematic in heavier cars like SUVs.
This was my main concern before buying in to the Rogue, but from what I've been able to gather, the latest gen Nissan CVTs, when mated to the 2.5 liter motor have been relatively problem free. That being said, I'm very happy I've got 4+ years and darn near 50k miles of powertrain warranty in my back pocket...

I was going to go back and list links to the Nissan owners forums threads I'd read,the Edmunds, motor trend, car & driver and KBB reviews I researched, but I'm too apathetic. Based upon that website, I've made a terrible mistake. That being said, it's my experience that folks are more likely to b!tch on the internets than praise, so grain of salt and all that.

Agreed.

We like our Rogue, 2015, 30 plus MPG on freeway. Looked at a lot of rigs and reviews. A good buddy of mine, (my best man at wedding 4 years ago) is and R&D engineer for Nissan the past 10 years, worked for Mitsubishi earlier in life as well.

Here's a guy who can drive anything he'd like from Nissan.....I asked him about the Rogue before I bought one: "Tell me about the Rogue?" He said, "Well, I have been driving one for 6 years and really like it." The one the wife and I bought was low mileage and we got the extended warranty so I am not worried.

Brutus Out

I know there is a certain stigma that goes along with Subaru ownership, but I have owned many of them over the years and they are great vehicles. Tough, reliable and pretty easy to work on at the rare chance you have to.

My wife is looking to replace her WRX. She decided an suv would be nice.
After a lot of deliberation she decided on the 4Runner Trail Premium. She likes that it drives like a car but will go absolutely anywhere you want to go.
We plan to purchase it in the fall.
I'm beyond thrilled at her choice.

My wife is looking to replace her WRX. She decided an suv would be nice.
After a lot of deliberation she decided on the 4Runner Trail Premium. She likes that it drives like a car but will go absolutely anywhere you want to go.
We plan to purchase it in the fall.
I'm beyond thrilled at her choice.
we have a 2014 trail premium 19k miles lift wheels and tires at my work right now. its a certified used toyota. 7yr 100k mile warranty. im not a salesman, im a technician. just lettin u know. $41k

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top