JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we weren't planning on shopping for a new vehicle any time soon, but the wifey's rig has given up the ghost. 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, with 141k on the "bulletproof" 4.2 liter 6, and Monday it throws a rod.
The missus wants another mid-size SUV, preferably with a third row of seats. I don't think "all wheel drive" is a thing I want in my life. Four wheel drive, preferably with a locking diff tickles my fancy.
Given the fact that GM can't torque rod carrier bolts to last more than 140k, any suggestions for the next Mann family truckster?

We are doing the same thing and the list is huge! The number of options choices, features and differences in this market segment can be confusing. Since this one is for the wife I put together a spreadsheet for her to score things on a 1 (being the lowest) to 5 (being the highest) in the areas that are important to her, which are:
- comfort
- visibility
- rear cargo room
- driveability
- power
- does it have heated seats
- does it have navigation
- does it have remote start
- ease of loading through the rear hatch
- do the rear seats fold flat

We are almost through the list and there have been some surprises. At this point, and these scores can be a bit subjective, here is how things have stacked up so far:

Subaru Outback 6 cyl = 41 points
Toyota Rav 4 = 40 points
Nissan Rogue = 40 points
Honda HR-V = 40 points
Subaru Outback 4 cyl = 39 points
Honda CR-V = 36 points
Jeep Grand Cherokee = 35 points
Nissan Murano = 34 points
Dodge Durango = 33 points
Jeep Cherokee = 26 points (ever seen a vehicle rock back in forth in time with the wipers when they are on high? This one does!)

We still have 9 more models to go and I am also mapping out each maker's option package that meets her basic needs so I can start comparing prices, apple to apples so to speak.

Once that is done we'll go back to look at 4 or 5 rigs that scored the highest to make a final decision. Then I get to negotiate the deal and, seriously, I am really looking forward to that.

I'll be glad to share my simple spreadsheet. Just PM me your email address and I'll send it along.

Subarus are nice. My Crosstrek feels underpowered but pulls a utility trailer with 2 Kayaks like they arent even there.

The Subaru is assembled with a lot of plastic and the paint is so soft that minor road debris WILL chip the hood, apron and fenders with ease.

You really can't beat a Subaru for cost and reliability.

Vehicles are way too expensive. Another thing to consider; almost all vehicles are mass produced as cheap as possible these days.

Honda used to be bullet proof but after having to compete with kia, scion and such I thinknthey started cheapin out.

My wife and I were looking at something bigger now that we had a 2nd child, but it's just way too much money.

Going to go take a look at a previous generation (2006)Nissan Pathfinder tonight. Older than we had been looking for, but only 62k miles.
Anybody got one, had one want one? Any experiences good, bad or indifferent?

I used to be a honda certified tech and biggest thing I can say buying a used car is it doesn't matter what brand it is what matters is the maintenence pulled on it. Mainly oil and auto trans fluid. 4runner is going to be the toughest off road suv but the hold there value like crazy, an older pathfinder before they neutered them would be a cheaper option or an xterra but there isn't many real mid sized suvs anymore

My wife drives an '09 Lexus GX470.
She loves it, I love/hate it.
Very reliable, very capable off-road, very comfortable. Horrible cup holders, horrible lack of places to put anything in the cockpit, 15.5 mpg, horrible design of rear hatch (opens to the side instead of upwards).

Lots of other loves and hates, these are first to mind.

My wife drives an '09 Lexus GX470.
She loves it, I love/hate it.
Very reliable, very capable off-road, very comfortable. Horrible cup holders, horrible lack of places to put anything in the cockpit, 15.5 mpg, horrible design of rear hatch (opens to the side instead of upwards).

Lots of other loves and hates, these are first to mind.
But if based purely on dependability, it's a definite winner.

Man lately with all the recalls and ridiculous amount of technology they put in them I'm losing trust more and more and would think about just buying an older vehicle.

All the sensors that control braking scare me. What happens when they start going out?!

Can't we have an option of a new car with low tech?

Man lately with all the recalls and ridiculous amount of technology they put in them I'm losing trust more and more and would think about just buying an older vehicle.

All the sensors that control braking scare me. What happens when they start going out?!

Can't we have an option of a new car with low tech?

no matter what sensor fails you always have base brakes unless there is a hydraulic leak.

Just got back from doing some more shopping, grading and test driving. The Mazda CX-5 zipped right to the top. Doing some research now on consumer reviews, recalls, etc...on that model. I was very impressed with the standard features, price and design of the vehicle.

I'm more concerned with it braking out of no where.
yeah usually when a sensor fails a code will set in the electronic brake control module and defaults to base brakes. i have seen ONE time a bad lateral accelerometer on a cts-v cause it to brake while going straight. wasnt anything you could not control but was definitely not right. replaced the sensor. good to go.

I figured there was a safety back up.
But doesn't mean I trust it.

I have a Ford Escape that had a faulty electric throttle body. When I was driving down the freeway my throttle body would just shut down. Only on the freeway. And happened about once a week to every 2 weeks.
I cleaned it out and it was better for a couple months then just started doing it a couple times a week.
Of course ford said they never heard of it , but ford forums were full of the same issue. I replaced the throttle body and been perfect since.
Then of course a year after I replaced it they "extended the warranty" on that part. Wouldn't call it a recall.

I figured there was a safety back up.
But doesn't mean I trust it.

I have a Ford Escape that had a faulty electric throttle body. When I was driving down the freeway my throttle body would just shut down. Only on the freeway. And happened about once a week to every 2 weeks.
I cleaned it out and it was better for a couple months then just started doing it a couple times a week.
Of course ford said they never heard of it , but ford forums were full of the same issue. I replaced the throttle body and been perfect since.
Then of course a year after I replaced it they "extended the warranty" on that part. Wouldn't call it a recall.
likely a disagreement between throttle position sensor 1 and 2. now days the TP sensors are internal to the T-body in most cases

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top