JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious to get a recommendation on a nicer barrel for an AR15.

Im not familiar with many brands outside of Ballistic Advantage and similar. I know there are much higher end barrels out there I just don't really know where to look.

Thanks!

Reno

What is the purpose of the barrel?

High end for hard use would typically include a roster of CHf barrels, many of which are mace by FN e.g. noveske.

If I wanted a high end accuracy-oriented barrel i would look to Compass Lake Engineering which offers Krieger, Bartlein, Douglas barrels.

What is the purpose of the barrel?

High end for hard use would typically include a roster of CHf barrels, many of which are mace by FN e.g. noveske.

If I wanted a high end accuracy-oriented barrel i would look to Compass Lake Engineering which offers Krieger, Bartlein, Douglas barrels.
Purpose? It would be to try and squeeze all available accuracy out of the AR. I'll look at those brands. A few I haven't heard of. Thanks!

For accuracy
Kreiger and Bartlein are tip top
Shilen is really good
Douglas and Criterion(stainless) are as well
White Oak is known as value leader for accuracy - their SPR barrels are highly regarded and half the price of a Krieger or Bartlein.

I'm loving my Rainier Arms stainless "ultra match MOD2" barrel with TiN extension. Sometimes they have a sale on these, which is why I bought mine.

The reviews are excellent, which let's me know that the actual shooting accuracy is up to me. I also like that 90% of my rifle parts were supporting PNW companies.

-Robert

White Oak is hard to beat for the price. I am running one of their AR Varmint barrels and it stacks them in the same hole with factory 40gr and 50gr Vmax ammo and has since day one. Never reloaded for it getting performance like that with factory ammo.You can spend more on a barrel easily but would be hard pressed to beat White Oaks performance.

I went with a Wilson Combat 18" fluted barrel for mine in .223 Wylde with a rifle gas system.
Had it done in the black finish that they have that looks nice.
Went with a Wilson upper and 15" handguard to make it easy.

One of these days I may be able to see how it does.

White Oak is hard to beat for the price. I am running one of their AR Varmint barrels and it stacks them in the same hole with factory 40gr and 50gr Vmax ammo and has since day one. Never reloaded for it getting performance like that with factory ammo.You can spend more on a barrel easily but would be hard pressed to beat White Oaks performance.
I have AR barrels from the following, and all are more accurate than I am:
White Oak (6.8 SPC)
Wilson Armament out of Connecticut (6.5 Grendel)
Wilson Combat (7mm-08)

BA is the best quality barrel I have in 223, and it too is capable of delivering all the accuracy I can shoot with it.

The only ones I have had trouble with were budget ones 2 MOA or worse on a good day.

Pac-nor barrels used to make the ones for Noveske. They may still.
An acquaintance has outstanding accuracy with his Daniel Defense barrel.
I imagine Faxon barrels are still very high quality.

Drop by Oregon Rifle Works and look over the barrels they have there.

Columbia River Arms formerly Black Hole Weaponry

Lots of options. I have a pair of stainless/nitrided barrels with parabolic rifling that are tack drivers. Parabolic rifling increases velocity while decreasing wear.

Psa. Dpms. You can't get better than that…. Haha
Not knocking budget, I've had PSAs shoot amazingly well.

Im just looking to get a high quality 20" barrel to squeeze some extra velocity and prec into my rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top