JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1500
Manufacturer
Browning
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Lorane
State
Oregon
Zip Code
John Browning designed this rifle and it was made by Winchester as the Model 1871 and it was regarded as "the smoothest lever-action ever built." In 1986-1987, it was brought back by Browning Miroku for a limited production run. The "Ultra High Grade" was limited to 300 worldwide. I'm looking in the "Blue Book" at the firearms description, but I honestly don't know whether this is the "M71 High Grade" or "the M71 Ultra High Grade." In either case it is among the prettiest firearms that I have ever come across in my entire life. It will impress anyone!
It was purchased on-line and delivered to a local gun store for transfer to it's new owner. No explanation was ever found as to how it arrived with the buttstock shattered into four pieces on the tang end. Understandably, the new owner refused to accept it. He was given a full refund and the store was stuck with this rifle. They could not put it out for sale "as is," and management refused to invest about $500.00 in a replacement buttstock, so there it sat, out of the public view, until I happened to hire on. I don't think replacing a buttstock on a rifle is a major undertaking, though in this case it might be a little tricky to match the new buttstock to the existing fore-end stock, and this gorgeous rifle deserves all the respect and TLC I can provide. After much cajoling, I persuaded the store to sell it to me. I presume that they only agreed to do this because by then the rifle had been sitting in their back room for so long. Since then I have been searching for a suitable replacement stock. Winchester M71 and Browning M71 "field grade" stocks are available for less than $300.00, but this rifle deserves a replacement stock befitting the original. That would only be about $500.00, but my difficulty so far has been in locating any at all. I have heard rumors that this is because it must be "fitted properly," and therefore even the North American Browning dealer will not simply sell someone a buttstock, but this is only a rumor that I heard.
The buttstock only has two parts: the wooden stock and the buttplate with it's two screws. I glued the pieces back into place, but not in any hope that that would constitute a satisfactory repair. The entire rest of the rifle is in absolutely beautiful condition and certainly in perfect working order. In addition to finding a replacement stock, I have also contemplated having a professional stockmaker make a replacement stock for me, or even attempting to make a replacement stock on my own. Replacing the shattered stock is NOT a big deal; replacing it properly is a lot more involved, but a worthwhile project for such a noble firearm as this.

PXL_20240409_020609996.MP.jpg PXL_20240409_020639934.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.