JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the idea, a way to memorialize friends and family that may not be said or read elsewhere. I lost my grandmother a little over 2 weeks ago and thought about posting it here. We were really close and I'm just now able to talk about it without getting upset.

Often sharing grief, even with others who don't know you or the one you lost seems to help. Not sure why but it does. Sorry for your loss. The only part of getting older I really dislike is watching loved ones beat me to the other side.

Would it be okay if when these sad things happen if we were able to read and participate in a thread on the main board, "Off Topic" most likely, before the thread is relegated to a memorial section? I'm not one to go looking for something in this new section, and don't want to miss an opportunity to add something appropriate.

It's a good idea, as times like these always bring out the best in people and public obits have always been customary and sometimes required by law. However, privacy is something to be considered. In this day and age where bad actors scour obituaries for opportunities, it's easy not to think about the potential for problems as we are immersed in the immediate emotions of the situation.
While the majority of us use screen names, some members don't and use their real names. Even those of us who use screen names have talked plenty about the things we've done, how many guns we own, what town we live in...all easily discovered via a quick search. Little details can provide a tremendous gateway into someone's life.
Not trying to throw a wet blanket on the matter but
consider the potential problems it may create.

lost my wife of 26 years this july it's very hard to deal with some things have to be done.
Very sorry to hear that. I've been married to this one for over a couple decades now. We were both mature and had been through our failed attempts, so pretty set in our ways. Now I can't imagine life without her in it. As selfish as it is I always hope I go first. Crappy as that is to wish on her I don't want to have to be the one left. All part of the circle and all just don't want to have to deal. Hope you can and move on. Easier said than done I know. Hopefully sharing the pain will make it somewhat easier for you.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention guys, sad that it's under these circumstances :(

I think the best (and most respectful) way to go about this is individual threads for the deceased here in the off topic section. I've made a 'Memorial Thread' prefix which staff members can assign to these threads, and we'll stick them to the top for a week or two while members pay their respects. If by chance the mod team happens to miss one of these threads please report it so we can add the prefix and stick it right away.

It's funny (poor choice of words, I know)
That we somehow get connected to people through here that we've never met.
It must be the amazing human beings that grace this forum. I'm just happy to be apart of it.
My Grandpa passed on Monday. But he was a pretty miserable person. Haven't seen him in about 15 years.
So honestly hearing of people passing with such loved for them is somewhat comforting.

It's funny (poor choice of words, I know)
That we somehow get connected to people through here that we've never met.
It must be the amazing human beings that grace this forum. I'm just happy to be apart of it.
My Grandpa passed on Monday. But he was a pretty miserable person. Haven't seen him in about 15 years.
So honestly hearing of people passing with such loved for them is somewhat comforting.
+1. I know there are folks outside the NW that join us here and are kindred spirits, but the majority of us are local to this region. It's actually possible, even probable, to meet face to face with the folks you interact with here regularly. I think that makes us a little different as it's difficult to be dishonest when there's a good chance you'll be held accountable. It's more personal, real, and not so virtual; I like that. I've met several members in person, and been very pleased to meet them. I think that helps with the feeling that this experience is bonafide.

I also think that in a strange way, gun safety, firearms knowledge, and a pastime that demands traditional freedom with self initiated responsibility binds us in an unusually strong kinship. Simply put we expect others here to do their best without being told to do so only because we expect the same of ourselves. Somehow it appears to be working I love it here.

For me this means that when one of you passes on I'll need to do the hard work of grief. This is because a part of this bond is broken and is certainly something I will count as a loss.

I also suspect that many here tend to express ourselves best by written words rather than verbally. I know that I have a very difficult time talking to new folks and the advantage here is I can learn something about you (by the way you write) before I actually meet you. It's a great social lubricant for an uptight hermit like myself:p

So thanks @Joe Link and staff;).

Edits for typo and brevity (believe it or not:p )

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads