JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did a search, and other than the previous Memorial Day threads of years past, I did not see one for this year.

I am well aware that Memorial Day is a commemoration for those that lost their lives in service to this country. But my Uncle Frank survived WWII, only to commit suicide 5 years ago at nearly 92 years of age as a result of complications from serving in that war. So, I consider it right and fitting that I honor him as a veteran that served his country ably and admirably, even though he survived Normandy, Market Garden, Bastogne, and saw VE Day at Hitler's Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest), and was not KIA.

Uncle Frank was an 18-year-old paratrooper in Easy CO, 2nd BT, 506 PIR, 101 AB on D-Day. He turned 19 before the end of that same month. He was still just 19 when the war ended with him and his Band of Brothers at the Eagle's Nest, where he and his buddies took Hitler's personal air transport (shown below) for it's last flight. The story he told of that plane's final flight was quite humorous, as was their determination of the (lack of) bulletproof-ness of the glass in Hitler's limousine, which they also found and had fun with at the Eagle's Nest...

ca. Autumn 1944 to Spring, 1945...

Uncle Frank_portrait.jpg Uncle Frank_ready for combat(2).jpg Uncle Frank_German transport(2).jpg

...and June 2009 at Normandy, France. He's the fella with the jaunty cap standing next to Tom Hanks.

Uncle Frank_2009 commemoration(2).jpg

He seemed to have a thing about wearing his cover at rakish angles... :rolleyes:

Coupla fun facts about Uncle Frank...

For those that have seen the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers or who have read Stephen Ambrose's book about Easy Company, you might remember that Darrell "Shifty" Powers was a sniper. Shifty's spotter was my Uncle Frank. Frank had expert eyes and grew up putting meat on the table in northern Minnesota, and was quite the sniper in his own right. He refused to be a part of the miniseries, and does not appear anywhere in it, but...

If you've seen the miniseries and remember the 8th episode (The Last Patrol) and wondered how the rope that the prisoner snatch teams used to cross the river got across the river in the first place (which I wondered as soon as I first saw that episode and before I had read Frank's oral history of the war), it was my Uncle Frank that swam that river in February 1945 with a rope tied around his waist. He was greased up with axle grease for insulation against the frigid water, he swam to the far side, tied the rope to a tree, and swam back. By the time the company was ready to use the rope later that night for the snatch operation, he still had not recovered from hypothermia and so was not a part of the snatch operations.

Last Edited:
Question. I was thinking today.....

Since it's memorial day and since America likes to CANCEL people that they don't agree with. Is it alright to memorialize say : a GREAT, Great, great, relative that fought for the South during the Civil War?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Question. I was thinking today.....

Since it's memorial day and since America likes to CANCELL people that they don't agree with. Is it alright to memorialize say : a GREAT, Great, great, relative that fought for the South during the Civil War?

Aloha, Mark
I'm not going to take a position on that, but I suppose that would be up to the individual to decide.

The first Memorial Day (actually called Decoration Day then) in 1868 was specifically reserved for Union soldiers.
Southerners had been having their own "memorial day" even before the end of the war in 1865.

Wikipedia: Memorial Day

Last Edited:
I don't have any pictures of my Grandpa. He was in WII and Korea.
IIRC he also worked on some of the big dams here in the PNW.
My fondest memories are sitting in his lap shooting squirrels in the peach or nectarine trees in my grandparents yard.
He passed when I was 8. Cancer is a horrible fate.

I do like this time of year. I never get tired of seeing the flags put on the headstones at Willamette National cemetery.

My father, though I don't know much about him, served in Vietnam as a ranger when he was young. Don't know anything about his ranks over the years, but I know he got honorable discharge as an officer after spending 12+ years in the army. From stories and scars, I've gathered that he was in some pretty heavy ground combat. He struggled with emotions and other complications for years before he finally succumbed to liver and lung cancer. I have a few medals from after his passing in 2006, but nothing else to commemorate him. He's buried at Willamette national and I have occasionally visited. Funny, We've had more conversations after his death than while he was alive. Today makes me think about him though, and I thank him and his brothers and sisters for everything they've given for this country.

I did a search, and other than the previous Memorial Day threads of years past, I did not see one for this year.

I am well aware that Memorial Day is a commemoration for those that lost their lives in service to this country. But my Uncle Frank survived WWII, only to commit suicide 5 years ago at nearly 92 years of age as a result of complications from serving in that war. So, I consider it right and fitting that I honor him as a veteran that served his country ably and admirably, even though he survived Normandy, Market Garden, Bastogne, and saw VE Day at Hitler's Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest), and was not KIA.

Uncle Frank was an 18-year-old paratrooper in Easy CO, 2nd BT, 506 PIR, 101 AB on D-Day. He turned 19 before the end of that same month. He was still just 19 when the war ended with him and his Band of Brothers at the Eagle's Nest, where he and his buddies took Hitler's personal air transport (shown below) for it's last flight. The story he told of that plane's final flight was quite humorous, as was their determination of the (lack of) bulletproof-ness of the glass in Hitler's limousine, which they also found and had fun with at the Eagle's Nest...

ca. Autumn 1944 to Spring, 1945...

View attachment 1210978View attachment 1210975 View attachment 1210979

...and June 2009 at Normandy, France. He's the fella with the jaunty cap standing next to Tom Hanks.

View attachment 1210977

He seemed to have a thing about wearing his cover at rakish angles... :rolleyes:

Coupla fun facts about Uncle Frank...

For those that have seen the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers or who have read Stephen Ambrose's book about Easy Company, you might remember that Darrell "Shifty" Powers was a sniper. Shifty's spotter was my Uncle Frank. Frank had expert eyes and grew up putting meat on the table in northern Minnesota, and was quite the sniper in his own right. He refused to be a part of the miniseries, and does not appear anywhere in it, but...

If you've seen the miniseries and remember the 8th episode (The Last Patrol) and wondered how the rope that the prisoner snatch teams used to cross the river got across the river in the first place (which I wondered as soon as I first saw that episode and before I had read Frank's oral history of the war), it was my Uncle Frank that swam that river in February 1945 with a rope tied around his waist. He was greased up with axle grease for insulation against the frigid water, he swam to the far side, tied the rope to a tree, and swam back. By the time the company was ready to use the rope later that night for the snatch operation, he still had not recovered from hypothermia and so was not a part of the snatch operations.
Sorry for the loss of your uncle. Thanks for sharing this story and starting this thread.

I got to spend the morning with a WWII Submariner that went on 6 war patrols and survived being depth charged many times.

Hearing the stories of all the different generations is always a good time.

Heartfelt thank you to the families and friends who lost loved ones serving.

Both grandfather's served in WW2. I never met my paternal grandfather as he died of lung cancer prior to my birth; he served in the army and achieved Master Sergeant. Maternal grandfather was a Gunnery Sergeant and like Sobo's uncle, committed suicide at age 76 in 1997. He never talked about the war, but we knew he suffered PTSD: nightmares, night terrors, alcoholism, etc. Neither died in the war, but I wonder how true that is.

I don't have anyone on ignore. I do not know how I did not see this thread. It's in the same forum, even... o_O

@Andy54Hawken Can we get my Memorial Day thread (this one we're in right now) merged into @RicInOR's thread here, please?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top