JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just like any other idiot person the police always have to worry about the person coming back and suing. Ie, firemen/women, LEOs will sometimes refuse to do CPR because they are afraid of getting sued if the person dies.
I had a co-worker that was a firemen in CA before moving to Oregon he said they were taught to never do CPR off duty and the LEOs will almost never do it because of all the lawsuits they had after words.

I used to work for a road service company doing unlocks, tire changes, etc and had some police wait for us to get there to open a car for children or dogs because they didn't want to break a window.

Of course it wasn't a hazardous time of year. As long as they can see the child is okay and not in distress if would make sense to wait. Maybe the kid was jumping around and he was afraid he would cause injury to the child ( i didn't read the article)

Most departments no longer carry slim jims in their cars as tow companies complained that the police opening cars, except in dire emergencies, was taking away part of their business. It takes a great deal of force to break a window so even with having the child move to the other side of the car when the window is being broken is no guarantee that broken glass would not harm the child. So, if the tow company was not too far away what the Officer did seems reasonable to me. Still not many facts to go on.

Most departments no longer carry slim jims in their cars as tow companies complained that the police opening cars, except in dire emergencies, was taking away part of their business. It takes a great deal of force to break a window so even with having the child move to the other side of the car when the window is being broken is no guarantee that broken glass would not harm the child. So, if the tow company was not too far away what the Officer did seems reasonable to me. Still not many facts to go on.
Probably not.. probably union (police) bosses. simple

Stupid parents.
This is the generation of people we have raised in this country; the problem, no matter what it is, is someone else's responsibility. I'm surprised those two figured out how to breed, probably saw the process on line in a video and blamed it when they discovered the result nine months later. At least they care about the youngster.
Stupid story? Yes.
News worthy? No.

Most modern vehicles can't be opened with them anyhow. The linkages are shielded.

That's why we have better unlocking tools. $150 gets you a kit with a slim jim, air wedges, and three or four types of reach tools. Police shouldn't be unlocking cars anyway - if it's a dire emergency smash the window and voila' - open car. If not an emergency - lock smiths or tow trucks will get into the car with far less chance of damage. Really - do the police need to go through the extra day of training on how to properly utilize modern unlock tools (and esp. slim jims since they're more likely to damage door components than unlock a car anymore - lot of cars have fragile wiring or even fiber optics in them now that a slim jim will just destroy) - cops don't need to get into locked cars all that often.

In this case, I think the cop did the prudent thing - woman would've filed a complaint for him for damaging her car. Brainless mom could've grabbed a rock and smashed window if she really wanted it broken. Pop a lock and a lot of other lock smiths or tow companies will do a free unlock when young children are locked in a vehicle. This story is much adieu about nothing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top