JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
For those of us with businesses it is incrementally adding up... a little here, a little there...one more rock in the back pack to be shouldered. Perhaps the additional return on our tax dollars is worth it all and will make our world better/safer. I can't say. But I do know while everyone else is cutting back and being creative to stay in business our government hasn't seem to figure this out yet and just seems to market to the masses they need us to carry one more rock in order to meet our needs.

Each business has some of the same requirements but other businesses are more heavily regulated and have more stringent requirements. So it is difficult to say the negative impact this new tax will have on all businesses. But one point that has been missed in this thread is for all businesses, besides taxes we must factor in all the OTHER expenses that get paid to the government including licenses, fees, inspections, and permits along with the taxes. Then on top of that some of us have to hire attorneys and accountants to help us figure out our obligations under the law while other businesses can do it themselves. Then there are specialized vendors and consultants we must hire in order to help us comply. These fees/services must be including in the equation for us to meet our government responsibilities.

Then this is not factoring in the government mandated requirement to attend certain courses and the labor and travel costs associated with these expenses. In late 2009 and now in 2010 we had to make three new costly changes to our range and business in order to comply with three new laws mandated. No one seems to factor this in the discussion. These three new laws mean we are required to make a capital expenditure we didn't budget for because we didn't forecast in the previous year that there were going to be three new laws that impact us financially. How can we forecast what the legislature is going to enact in the fall of 2010 that might require us to purchase something? How do we know from one year to the next what our government is going to pass that impacts us financially?

Yes, indeed perhaps an additional $130 tax by itself is no big deal. But when you start calculating all of these government required costs they start to add up. One of my customers who owns a business told me the other day prior to this new tax passing they're currently paying $.52 out of every dollar of sales on meeting their government obligations (taxes, permits, licenses, fees, etc).

I'm certainly not making any judgement about the passing of this as a good or bad, right or wrong. I just know there is a much larger picture to consider when adding one more load for any business to carry - small or large.

Again, some businesses it will have a minimal impact and on other it is just one more nail.

too bad. Why didn't the people vote THIS one down, and hold their government hard to the wall to reduce waste, spending, etc. Oh well... what they don't realise is that, sooner or later, they'll run out of other people's money and have none of their own.

Reduce taxes and let private enterprise put those dollars to work employing people, producing goods, that sort of thing. What a concept, eh?

Look up the numbers, corporations and the most wealthy pay dramatically less in taxes than they did 30 years ago. So, why aren't we drowning in jobs? You actually need world-class schools, world-class universities, world-class roads and infrastructure to have a world-class economy. The US had this in the 1950's and 1960's. We also had hardly any debt. Did you know that during this time the highest tax rate was 90%? Now, its 38%. I'm not advocating that high of a rate, but its wrong to say "less taxes equals more more" or "higher taxes means less jobs". We need investment in our economy...and some of that has to be public investment because no indidividual company wants to pay for the educational system, our roads, etc.

The underlying issue still remains the lack of accountability of the government when it comes to waste, fraud, and spending. Increasing the number and complexity of taxes only serves to obfuscate the overall tax burden of the average citizen.

Multiple "layers" of taxes make it hard for anyone to fully understand the burden they pay to the government.

As a small business owner that does their own accounting, I see the direct impact of taxation when I write my quarterly checks to the government. What I do not see is an equivalent benefit being returned to me and my family. Especially not when the few services I may actually use (Fire, Police, Schools, infrastructure) continually hit us up for additional tax levies when in my opinion they should be the first ones paid with our tax dollars.

We as a society are too complacent with our governments. Taxation is the ultimate form of repression.

Peoples Republik of Oregon
Too much is never enough with these turds. I voted against them because they can't be good stewards with what we allready give them. Why trust them with more
The school issue is a false flag enigma. With the all funds budget money, we have one of the highest funded school systems in the country.
The Teachers Unions need to be brought up before a RICO panel and broken up.
Greydog is mad and pissing on a fire hydrant.

Furthermore, can you pro tax and spend folks even read?? Look up all the info on the fair tax or flat tax movement. What the **** does'nt make sense of this. Eliminate all personal, corporate, business taxes, all municipal fees, licence fees, and roll it all into the income from a flat tax or fair tax gathered.
Furthermore again, make it impossible to raise the amount levied against us beyond 10%. All citizens pay. no one is exempt. That is the only fair way to tax the proletariat!!!! Still Mad and pissing on the Hydrant. Greydog!!

too bad. Why didn't the people vote THIS one down, and hold their government hard to the wall to reduce waste, spending, etc. Oh well... what they don't realise is that, sooner or later, they'll run out of other people's money and have none of their own.

Reduce taxes and let private enterprise put those dollars to work employing people, producing goods, that sort of thing. What a concept, eh?

From your lips to God's ears.

-D

Oregonians just like Californians, all part of the something for nothing crowd, This will Hurt Much More than any of us know, Keep taxing Business, Keep regulateing Business, pretty soon you will have no business at all.

This Tax Bill was just a way to padd the PERS, Public Employee Retirement System,, More Wellfare for the Mass's

Last Edited:
The unemployment line just grew a little more today. And the job hunt just got way worse for those already looking.
And those that do a lot of the hiring and signing of paychecks just took another shot.
Typical Oregon lack of wisdom.
Times are tougher than they have been for a long long time, so increase state spending and increase taxes.
This state is going to be where California is in short order.

Why measure 66/67 passed is more about selfishness and fear then anything else! If you are unemployed and drawing unemployment the state set you up to pass this Bill or else! Just look at this years Oregon tax book with all the advertisements and pandering and cautions written in red with giant exclamation marks to the measures if they don't pass. You know the elections board threatens jail time and stiff fines for voter fraud and pandering and yet they have done this very thing in the tax book and notice when the election and vote was held.

If people are too blind to see what they get for listening to the welfare bunch, they deserve exactly what they get. Sorry but I am no bleeding heart for stupidity and yes I am drawing unemployment and still voted NO for both measures even though I have to pay $1,600.00 in state taxes. Both measures are no good for the state as a whole and all of us need to think not just of our selves but of the others this will cost jobs and higher prices for. Oregon has now become the freeloaders state and any and all who think they are entitled to something for nothing live here.

I am a native of this state and it used to be we were a state of hardworking no nonsense men and women of self respect, we have now become a bunch of snot nosed sappy, tofu farting children unable to make our own living and to take care of ourselves.

(kind of) Interesting demographics, on this vote.

First, I expected the Willamette Valley to support these increased taxes. And it did, in high percentages, with the exception of Clackamas County. Last I looked, Clackamas County voted NO, but just barely.

Then, and this does surprise me...The Northwest Counties, Lincoln County and North, voted YES on these tax measures. Guess there's more spill-over than I realized, from the big city. Being agriculture-based economies, or they used to be, I expected them to vote NO.

Then, the other exception, that voted YES...Hood River County. But, look how Hood River has changed, and who has taken it over.

WAYNO.

I had to stop watching this crap last night.. was just pissing me off everytime it scrolled by . I cant beleave the number of people that voted to pass these measures. Like they really think that any company will let a tex eat into thier profit. they will iether just raise the prices on thier popular items enought to cover the new tax or just add a couple more people to the unemployment line to cover it.
Wow, you just have to love the irrational mentality forced upon some people who blindly follow the corporate controlled idealism of the right wing. What you are saying here is "We should not try to tax wealthy people because they will not pay it. Therefore we just need to not educate our kids, not police our streets, and not pave our roads because wealthy people should be allowed to do as they please because they are going to do it anyway."

There are rules in business regarding returns. If you raise your prices and your competitor does not you lose business and he gains it. So unless you also believe in monopolies and cartels you should understand that a business cannot simply raise it's prices to cover a tax increase.

I am with OFADAN in the fact that this is just another cost of doing business in Oregon. When you add this up with all the other taxes fees and the uncertianty of what is in the pipeline, we cannot grow our companies. If we continue to pay large amounts of capital to Local, State and federal Governments, we have less of it to purchase merchandise and employees. Not to mention the higher prices that come with it.

I do not know if this have any affect on firearm sales but it sure may mean a price increase on both firearms and ammo and anything else related to it.

<broken link removed>
Raises taxes on household income at and above $250,000 (and $125,000 for individual filers). Reduces income taxes on unemployment benefits in 2009. Provides funds currently budgeted for education, health care, public safety, other services.
52 percent of precincts reporting

Yes: 58 percent or 391,121 votes
No: 42 percent or 278,719 votes
517 of 1,000 precincts - 52 percent

Measure 67
Raises $10 corporate minimum tax, business minimum tax, corporate profits tax. Provides funds currently budgeted for education, health care, public safety, other services.
Yes: 57 percent or 425,162 votes
No: 43 percent or 326,849 votes
574 of 1,000 precincts - 57 percent

Defacto sales tax, retroactive legislation is unfair, and we get to be on the *** end of the employed sector in this country again.

so those that pay 70% of the taxes just got an increase and to top it of the teacher union acts in their usual fear tacticmode for more funding. so what happens to all of the money that was for education on every passed ballot in past election? with a 70+% yes from the portland area this ballot had no chance to fail.

so those that pay 70&#37; of the taxes just got an increase and to top it of the teacher union acts in their usual fear tacticmode for more funding. so what happens to all of the money that was for education on every passed ballot in past election? with a 70+% yes from the portland area this ballot had no chance to fail.
That statement makes no sense. You can't look at tax bases as simple numbers and say one is higher. So what if the wealthy companies pay 70% of the taxes if that 70% does not equal and even burden.

Lets say a family in NE PDX makes $75,000 and pays the state of Oregon $3,750 in taxes a year. A large company in NE PDX made $7,500,000 and paid the state $15,000 in taxes. The total taxes paid in is $18,750 and the large company shouldered 80% of the tax burden. However, the family making $75,000 sacrificed a full 5% (.05) of their gross income to taxes. The large company only sacrificed 2/10 of 1% (.002) of their gross income.

Does that seem like a fair share of the tax burden to you? Wouldn't it b a lot nicer if both the small family and the large compay paid 1% of their gross income. That way the balance is kept and the total taxes collected would go from $18,500 to $75,500 and schools can be funded and the common family still has more money to spend on food, clothes, cars, etc.

People need to stop letting themselves be manipulated by corporate mouthpieces who present numbers with no context and count on people to already be so angry, lazy, or stupid that they do not bother to find context for themselves.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads